Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm looking at going back to study after a decade in work and I'm very keen to start a course with RDI (BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Computing and Systems Development) as I can do everything from home whilst still running my business.

It's all very new to me and I'd love to hear from anyone currently doing this course, is it very industry relevant? How many days a week do a need to set aside for study? etc etc

Any advice would be gratefully received, many thanks in advance.
    •  Official Rep

Official Rep
    Hi flipflopper,

I hope you're well, my name is Kayleigh and I work full-time in the RDI Admissions Team at the same time as studying through RDI so I might be able to give you some advice

HND's are one of the most popular options we offer as they are made up of 15 credit modules and you can study either one or two modules every three months which allows you to fit your studies around your work commitments - you can decide to take one module at a time at certain points and then at other points take two at a time depending on how much time you have and how quickly you're looking to work through the course.

To do the HND in two years you are looking at around 20-25 study hours per week although this is a very rough guide and can vary from student to student. Some students like to put in a few hours each evening (my preferred method) or others would choose to set aside a couple of days a week to dedicate to studying. One of the things I find really helpful is that your assignment question is released at the start of the module so you can tailor your studying to your assignment which helps you to make good use of your time.

You haven't said what kind of business you run but the HND course tends to be valued by people looking to gain IT and Systems skills and knowledge to be applied to the working environment - the vast majority of students with RDI do work alongside their studies so they need the courses to be professionally relevant and the course is particularly geared toward areas such as information system design and management, IT security, technical support and software development; all from a management and business perspective.

I hope this advice helps you in making your decision and if you have any questions you can email me directly on [email protected] or find loads of information on our website.

Kind Regards, Kayleigh at RDI.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.