Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The SNP, DUP, Plaid Cymru, Sinn Fein and all other suchlike parties should not be allowed to participate in the upcoming TV political debates because they are not national parties and do not represent the entire country. They therefore cannot possibly be of influence to Englanders and so what is the point in them partaking. Agree or disagree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surely there should be debates in the countries that make up the UK , for the parties that have the represent the people of those countries?

:/

SNP & Plaid Cymru don't represent the people of England so why are they involved? xD
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    But then you'd have to have more debates aired in Scotland/Wales/NI with the local parties involved

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10001)
    The SNP, DUP, Plaid Cymru, Sinn Fein and all other suchlike parties should not be allowed to participate in the upcoming TV political debates because they are not national parties and do not represent the entire country. They therefore cannot possibly be of influence to Englanders and so what is the point in them partaking. Agree or disagree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your conclusion is right but your reasoning is wrong. Labour do not put up candidates in Northern Ireland. On your reasoning they are therefore not a national party and shouldn't be allowed in debates (which would come as a relief to some Labour supporters who would prefer that Milliband locks himself in a cupboard for the entire campaign).

The reason these parties should be excluded from the UK wide debates is because they are given disproportion amounts of media coverage and their own debates in the countries in which they are major political forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoltguyboo)
    Surely there should be debates in the countries that make up the UK , for the parties that have the represent the people of those countries?

:/

SNP & Plaid Cymru don't represent the people of England so why are they involved? xD
    So there shouldn't be a leader from one of the Green Parties either then surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10001)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I personally think the new plans to have seven leaders on the panel are absurd. It would be better to have Labour, the Tories and UKIP, and MAYBE the Liberal Democrats just because they have a load of seats left over from last time. But seven is going to be too much definitely, and I completely agree that having the likes of the SNP and Plaid Cymru who aren't nationwide parties isn't right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floppycatfish96)
    I personally think the new plans to have seven leaders on the panel are absurd. It would be better to have Labour, the Tories and UKIP, and MAYBE the Liberal Democrats just because they have a load of seats left over from last time. But seven is going to be too much definitely, and I completely agree that having the likes of the SNP and Plaid Cymru who aren't nationwide parties isn't right
    I wonder why you think that...

The SNP have three times as many seats as UKIP and are likely to increase their seats by a great proportion than UKIP. What has being nationwide got to do with anything? They seem about as likely as UKIP to form a post election deal as UKIP.

You seem to suggest one of the Parties in Government, with 25x the number of seats UKIP has, and likely to have five times more seats than UKIP after the next election is less eligible than UKIP - why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I wonder why you think that...

The SNP have three times as many seats as UKIP and are likely to increase their seats by a great proportion than UKIP. What has being nationwide got to do with anything? They seem about as likely as UKIP to form a post election deal as UKIP.

You seem to suggest one of the Parties in Government, with 25x the number of seats UKIP has, and likely to have five times more seats than UKIP after the next election is less eligible than UKIP - why?
    The SNP can only be voted for in Scotland, so it seems silly to have them on a nationwide debate when most of the UK can't even vote for them. The Liberal Democrats are nowhere in the polls, and I expect them to have far less seats than UKIP after the General election. The 2010 general election was a long time ago, and using the number of seats won in that election as a way to judge who deserves to be on the TV debates seems a bit odd. Going by polls and recent byelection results seems a much better way to do it. UKIP fluctuate between 14% and 20% in most English polls whereas the Liberal Democrats are generally on 8 or 9 percent. The Greens are on 7% most of the time, and the case for them being included is so small that the broadcasters are only considering it because of Dave's hissy fit.

ReputationRep:
    The SNP can only be voted for in Scotland, so it seems silly to have them on a nationwide debate when most of the UK can't even vote for them. The Liberal Democrats are nowhere in the polls, and I expect them to have far less seats than UKIP after the General election. The 2010 general election was a long time ago, and using the number of seats won in that election as a way to judge who deserves to be on the TV debates seems a bit odd. Going by polls and recent byelection results seems a much better way to do it. UKIP fluctuate between 14% and 20% in most English polls whereas the Liberal Democrats are generally on 8 or 9 percent. The Greens are on 7% most of the time, and the case for them being included is so small that the broadcasters are only considering it because of Dave's hissy fit.
    You really haven't quote grasped how awful first pass the post is have you? In the short term, it doesn't mean jack if ukip comes second in every seat, they still won't have any seats. The only way for a new party to grow is either through established parties (lab, con and lib) or through a particularly charismatic (read opportunistic) leader like Galloway. The only way groups can grow is through defections or a long term struggle which takes ages.

That's why most polls predict that ukip will be lucky to get five seats ( mostly through defections) and the lib dems will at worse retain 28 seats.

First pass the post and the incumbency effect will break ukip in May.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Davij038)
    You really haven't quote grasped how awful first pass the post is have you? In the short term, it doesn't mean jack if ukip comes second in every seat, they still won't have any seats. The only way for a new party to grow is either through established parties (lab, con and lib) or through a particularly charismatic (read opportunistic) leader like Galloway. The only way groups can grow is through defections or a long term struggle which takes ages.

That's why most polls predict that ukip will be lucky to get five seats ( mostly through defections) and the lib dems will at worse retain 28 seats.

And the SNP may even get more seats than the Lib Dems, so surely they should be in the debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So a governing party isn't allowed to defend its record?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    And the SNP may even get more seats than the Lib Dems, so surely they should be in the debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As has been pointed out before, they are only relevant on one part of the country, why would any welsh, English or NI person listen to somebody who they can't vote for and is probably going to be spending their time telling their voters that they shouldn't be in the same country as them (oh and they deserve more money from evil Westminster).

The lib dems are running in wales, NI and England and have safe seats in all 3.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    As has been pointed out before, they are only relevant on one part of the country, why would any welsh, English or NI person listen to somebody who they can't vote for and is probably going to be spending their time telling their voters that they shouldn't be in the same country as them (oh and they deserve more money from evil Westminster).

But they could potentially form a coalition government (with Labour for example)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

English, Welsh and NI people can vote for them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    English, Welsh and NI people can vote for them...
    What, if they moved to Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    But they could potentially form a coalition government (with Labour for example)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I suppose they could argue that, but I'd hope they'd have a more inclusive agenda for the rest of the uk then.

ReputationRep:
    What, if they moved to Scotland?
    Or live their already (like me).

Or stand in a seat outside of Scotland.

ReputationRep:

No I understand the First Past the Post system, but in terms of the number of supporters UKIP is definitely now the third party in England & Wales. I personally think UKIP will get at least 20 seats, as there are a few very close seats and UKIP has many dedicated activists trying to get our message to the masses which could just sway the balance in our favour. The most important thing for me, whatever happens, is getting Nigel into Westminster. Would love to see him tear apart the establishment on their own turf, like he has done in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    No I understand the First Past the Post system, but in terms of the number of supporters UKIP is definitely now the third party in England & Wales. I personally think UKIP will get at least 20 seats, as there are a few very close seats and UKIP has many dedicated activists trying to get our message to the masses which could just sway the balance in our favour. The most important thing for me, whatever happens, is getting Nigel into Westminster. Would love to see him tear apart the establishment on their own turf, like he has done in Europe.
    Will Nige be in hospital on election day again?

ReputationRep:
    We have only seen ukip take Seats from defecting Tories. It is possible that they could win seats, but even farage himself is behind the Tories, (although I think he could take it).

id like farage to win by a tiny majority, and sit next to Caroline Lucas for five years before being kicked out!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.