The Student Room Group

Find amount of NaCl

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I wouldn't use simultaneous equations, just usual algebra will do.

n(AgCl) = n(Cl-) = n(Na+) + n(K+) = n(mixture)
Ar(Na+/K+ mixture) = 2.30 / n(mixture)
Let x = proportion of K, then 39x + 23(1-x) = Ar(mixture)
39x-23x = Ar-23
Solve.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
I wouldn't use simultaneous equations, just usual algebra will do.

n(AgCl) = n(Cl-) = n(Na+) + n(K+) = n(mixture)
Ar(Na+/K+ mixture) = 2.30 / n(mixture)
Let x = proportion of K, then 39x + 23(1-x) = Ar(mixture)
39x-23x = Ar-23
Solve.

Yeah, I wouldn't use simultaneous equations either. It's the reason why I'm finding it so difficult but i have to otherwise I won't pass this assignment. It's really stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Just write, "I don't need to use simultaneous equations, so I refuse to use them. I've answered your question and got the correct answer, now give me all of the marks. No exam board worth sitting tells you how to answer a question, so why should you?"

But, just make sure you do indeed get the right answer.
Reply 4
Original post by Pigster
Just write, "I don't need to use simultaneous equations, so I refuse to use them. I've answered your question and got the correct answer, now give me all of the marks. No exam board worth sitting tells you how to answer a question, so why should you?"

But, just make sure you do indeed get the right answer.

The thing is, I'm doing a BTEC and the criteria to achieve the distinction in this particular assignment is that you have to use simultaneous equations to solve the problem given. I've asked my teacher repeatedly if you really do need to use simultaneous equations even if you get everything correct and he's very adamant you do. I might just try speaking to him again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest