Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I am currently in my first year of Sixth Form and therefore will be applying to university in just under a year. I am studying English Literature, History, Spanish and Maths for AS Levels, but am most passionate about English and Spanish. I am thus faced with the problem of whether to apply for a Single Honours Course in either English or Spanish, or to apply for a Joint Honours Course in the two subjects. It has always been my dream to study English, although in the last couple of years I have become increasingly interested in the Spanish language and culture and so a Joint course is a serious consideration.

However, I was just wondering whether Joint Honours Courses are in any way less respected than Single Honours Courses, and whether a English and Spanish degree would be less favoured by future employers, who perhaps would prefer somebody with a greater depth of knowledge in just one subject. I am quite interested by the idea of journalism and the media, and so was wondering whether having the Spanish language under my belt would be at all useful to employers in this field?

Furthermore, I have been made aware in the past that studying a Joint Honours Degree can pose several problems regarding timetabling and communication between the two faculties. I would be very grateful if anyone who is studying or has studied a Joint Degree, in particular English and Modern Languages, could share with me their experience of such problems and whether the issue is significant.

I am also aware that places are far more limited for Joint Honours Degree Courses and my English teacher is discouraging me from including Spanish in my application for this reason. Oxbridge will definitely be a consideration for me and I realise that only approximately 18 places are available for English and Modern Languages, which seems incredibly low! Would you advise me to narrow my application down to just English in order to heighten my chances of being accepted by Oxford, or to apply for both English and Spanish and not worry so much about whether I am accepted by Oxbridge, as in this way I will still be studying the two subjects I am most passionate about?

Finally (and I am terribly sorry about such a long and waffling post!! ), I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice about constructing a personal statement for a Joint Honours Degree. If anyone could point me in the direction of other Russell Group or top universities for this course, and literature I could be reading ahead of applying, I would be tremendously thankful!

Thank you so much,

Lottie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottie.13)
    Hi Guys,

I am currently in my first year of Sixth Form and therefore will be applying to university in just under a year. I am studying English Literature, History, Spanish and Maths for AS Levels, but am most passionate about English and Spanish. I am thus faced with the problem of whether to apply for a Single Honours Course in either English or Spanish, or to apply for a Joint Honours Course in the two subjects. It has always been my dream to study English, although in the last couple of years I have become increasingly interested in the Spanish language and culture and so a Joint course is a serious consideration.

However, I was just wondering whether Joint Honours Courses are in any way less respected than Single Honours Courses, and whether a English and Spanish degree would be less favoured by future employers, who perhaps would prefer somebody with a greater depth of knowledge in just one subject. I am quite interested by the idea of journalism and the media, and so was wondering whether having the Spanish language under my belt would be at all useful to employers in this field?

Furthermore, I have been made aware in the past that studying a Joint Honours Degree can pose several problems regarding timetabling and communication between the two faculties. I would be very grateful if anyone who is studying or has studied a Joint Degree, in particular English and Modern Languages, could share with me their experience of such problems and whether the issue is significant.

I am also aware that places are far more limited for Joint Honours Degree Courses and my English teacher is discouraging me from including Spanish in my application for this reason. Oxbridge will definitely be a consideration for me and I realise that only approximately 18 places are available for English and Modern Languages, which seems incredibly low! Would you advise me to narrow my application down to just English in order to heighten my chances of being accepted by Oxford, or to apply for both English and Spanish and not worry so much about whether I am accepted by Oxbridge, as in this way I will still be studying the two subjects I am most passionate about?

Finally (and I am terribly sorry about such a long and waffling post!! ), I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice about constructing a personal statement for a Joint Honours Degree. If anyone could point me in the direction of other Russell Group or top universities for this course, and literature I could be reading ahead of applying, I would be tremendously thankful!

Thank you so much,

Lottie
    Joint degrees are very respected, especially with foreign languages. I would recommend looking at; leeds (AAB), Manchester (AAB), Edinburgh (AAA) St. Andrews (AAA), Lancaster (AAA). Surrey (AAB), Reading (ABB) York St. John (280 ucas) and Cardiff (ABB). In terms of personal statement talk about the 2 subjects and how they complement each other and your passion for them. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would certainly not worry about the Oxbridge situation. the vast majority of people applying there get turned down anyway, you can apply there and if get in that's great but make sure your other 4 choices are good in case of rejection. also don't worry about whether you go to a Russell group uni or not. there are unis who are not in the russell group as good or even better than some who are. I would think that as a journalist having a second language would prove beneficial especially given we are part of the eec. I think you should follow your heart and do what you wish to and not worry about what others are telling you. I would imagine most leading unis are likely to do the kind of joint course you are considering. very good options for English include durham and Exeter in addition to oxford and Cambridge. you also need to ensure one or two of your 5 choices are slightly less popular offering grades of AAB or lower to allow for any rejections and dropped grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahmay01)
    Joint degrees are very respected, especially with foreign languages. I would recommend looking at; leeds (AAB), Manchester (AAB), Edinburgh (AAA) St. Andrews (AAA), Lancaster (AAA). Surrey (AAB), Reading (ABB) York St. John (280 ucas) and Cardiff (ABB). In terms of personal statement talk about the 2 subjects and how they complement each other and your passion for them. Good luck!
    Thank you very much for this advice - I will have a good look at the courses provided by these particular universities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    I would certainly not worry about the Oxbridge situation. the vast majority of people applying there get turned down anyway, you can apply there and if get in that's great but make sure your other 4 choices are good in case of rejection. also don't worry about whether you go to a Russell group uni or not. there are unis who are not in the russell group as good or even better than some who are. I would think that as a journalist having a second language would prove beneficial especially given we are part of the eec. I think you should follow your heart and do what you wish to and not worry about what others are telling you. I would imagine most leading unis are likely to do the kind of joint course you are considering. very good options for English include durham and Exeter in addition to oxford and Cambridge. you also need to ensure one or two of your 5 choices are slightly less popular offering grades of AAB or lower to allow for any rejections and dropped grades
    Thankyou, you have made me realise that the most important thing is for me to follow my heart - any further advice in the future would be gladly accepted!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I wouldn't worry about oxford, my friends who got in there really hate it there as it is so stressful. I am so much happier at Durham. My friend does English and Spanish at leeds and she thinks it is an amazing course. I come from leeds and I would recommend living there to anyone!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I wouldn't worry about oxford, my friends who got in there really hate it there as it is so stressful. I am so much happier at Durham. My friend does English and Spanish at leeds and she thinks it is an amazing course. I come from leeds and I would recommend living there to anyone!
    Thank you, I am actually quite interested in the Combined Honours in Arts course at Durham, where I could choose to study English and Spanish together. Do you know much about this particular course??

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I am actually quite interested in the Combined Honours in Arts course at Durham, where I could choose to study English and Spanish together. Do you know much about this particular course??
    don't know about the course but durham is a lovely place very small and is a fab university with a huge reputation for English. Exeter do something similar known as flexible combined honours. this again is a lovely small city but much larger than durham with a beautiful campus. durham has a collegiate system like Oxbridge Lancaster and York. Exeter is a campus based university. Cardiff is a city based university. you could if you wished apply say oxford durham Exeter Cardiff and reading giving you the best of all worlds. you could replace Exeter and Cardiff with places like leeds and lancaster if you wished or alternately you decide not to study at Oxbridge. you need to go to open days between june and September and then make your decision. durham oxford and Cambridge usually have open days the same week in july so you can combine your visits. if you decide to opt for Oxbridge note the deadline is October not January. good luck on whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Joint degrees are no less respected than single honours degrees. Indeed, they can often be an advantage as they show that you have skills in more than one area.

The employer's organisation the CBI has recently been complaining in the press that there aren't enough foreign language graduates, and that this is causing problems.

Joint honours degrees are often less competitive because there's a limited pool of people who are interested in what can be some rather niche combinations. This is particularly the case for you - English Literature is notoriously competitive, whereas Spanish suffers a perpetual shortage of applicants at a nationwide level.

That said, Oxford bucks the general trend for the relative competitiveness of its joint honours English & MFL courses http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/www...stics_2013.pdf but I don't think this is anything to base subject choice on.

ReputationRep:
    The combined arts course is very popular and very exciting and sought after. You pick two modules out of ;
    Classics and Ancient History
    English Literature
    History
    Music
    Philosophy
    Theology and Religious Studies
    History of Art
    Arabic
    Chinese
    French
    German
    Italian
    Russian
    Spanish
    Spanish and English would be a great option!
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/arts/

ReputationRep:
    The combined arts course is very popular and very exciting and sought after. You pick two modules out of ;
    Classics and Ancient History
    English Literature
    History
    Music
    Philosophy
    Theology and Religious Studies
    History of Art
    Arabic
    Chinese
    French
    German
    Italian
    Russian
    Spanish
    Spanish and English would be a great option!
    https://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/arts/
    similarly Exeter offer flexible combined honours and liberal arts degrees, I suspect other unis do as well

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for so many replies - any first-hand experiences of a joint honours course like this would be greatly appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.