Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Suppose the square matrix A of dimension n is of the form
    (BC)
    (DE)

Where B is a square matrix of dimension k and E is a square matrix of size n-k.

C has dimension n x (n-k) and D has dimension (n-k) x n.

If D=0 show that detA = detB detE.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by alexmufc1995)
    Suppose the square matrix A of dimension n is of the form
    (BC)
    (DE)

Where B is a square matrix of dimension k and E is a square matrix of size n-k.

C has dimension n x (n-k) and D has dimension (n-k) x n.

If D=0 show that detA = detB detE.
    It follows from just using Cramer's rule and expanding around the first column. Alternatively, can you take linear combinations so that C becomes 0? (Then it becomes obvious, because we've decomposed V into two subspaces on which A acts independently, so the volume scale on V is the same as the product of the volume scales on the two subspaces.) If not, when can't you do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    It follows from just using Cramer's rule and expanding around the first column. Alternatively, can you take linear combinations so that C becomes 0? (Then it becomes obvious, because we've decomposed V into two subspaces on which A acts independently, so the volume scale on V is the same as the product of the volume scales on the two subspaces.) If not, when can't you do it?
    I'd thought of eliminating C, but was unsure how I could easily generalise this.

Please could you elaborate on the use of Cramer's rule? Thanks
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I'd thought of eliminating C, but was unsure how I could easily generalise this.

Please could you elaborate on the use of Cramer's rule? Thanks
    Just write out the matrix in full, and expand around the first column using the standard rule for finding determinants in terms of sub-determinants. The subdeterminants can be found inductively (strictly, perform induction on the size of A). You end up with a disgusting mess that turns out to simplify to the correct thing.

"Generalise"? It's already as general as it needs to be, unless I've misunderstood you :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Just write out the matrix in full, and expand around the first column using the standard rule for finding determinants in terms of sub-determinants. The subdeterminants can be found inductively (strictly, perform induction on the size of A). You end up with a disgusting mess that turns out to simplify to the correct thing.

"Generalise"? It's already as general as it needs to be, unless I've misunderstood you :P
    I've had a go with the expansion down the first column but, as you said it's a disgusting mess and I'm sure this can't be what the question is looking for.

I meant, how can you show that C can, in general, be reduced to 0 using EROs and ECOs?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I've had a go with the expansion down the first column but, as you said it's a disgusting mess and I'm sure this can't be what the question is looking for.

I meant, how can you show that C can, in general, be reduced to 0 using EROs and ECOs?
    Well, it can't always. Under what circumstances can it not?

ReputationRep:
    Have to say, I would just use the \sum_\rho \text{sgn}(\rho) a_{1\rho{1}}...a_{n\rho(n)} definition and observe that for a_{1\rho(1)}...a_{k\rho(k)} to be non-zero we must have \rho(i) \in \{1, 2, ..., k\} for 1<=i<=k. Which means the only terms that contribute are where \rho permutes {1, 2, ... , k}. But it then follows that \rho also permutes {k+1,..., n}, and so...
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Have to say, I would just use the \sum_\rho \text{sgn}(\rho) a_{1\rho{1}}...a_{n\rho(n)} definition and observe that for a_{1\rho(1)}...a_{k\rho(k)} to be non-zero we must have \rho(i) \in \{1, 2, ..., k\} for 1<=i<=k. Which means the only terms that contribute are where \rho permutes {1, 2, ... , k}. But it then follows that \rho also permutes {k+1,..., n}, and so...
    Ah, that's neater - I haven't thought about determinants for some time, so the only thing about them left in my mind is as a volume form.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.