Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Collaboration between Gaddafi and British intelligence greater than previously though watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...fficial-papers

There have been some astounding accusations made this morning in the Guardian.

It has been alleged that Libyan agents were allowed by British intelligence to operate on British soil, intimidating Libyans who had been granted asylum.

If true, that is incredible and deeply troubling. I reflexively support the intelligence services, I don't accept and indeed resent the conspiracy theory view of the world. Most people in that area are dedicated and hardworking civil servants.

Having said that, my belief in the rule of law comes before that. If we have granted people asylum, we have a legal obligation to uphold their human rights and treat them as our own. Imagine if the intelligence services had exposed, say, a former Russian national to intimidation by the SVR because we didn't like their politics? This should be the subject of a judicial inquiry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...fficial-papers

There have been some astounding accusations made this morning in the Guardian.

It has been alleged that Libyan agents were allowed by British intelligence to operate on British soil, intimidating Libyans who had been granted asylum.

If true, that is incredible and deeply troubling. I reflexively support the intelligence services, I don't accept and indeed resent the conspiracy theory view of the world. Most people in that area are dedicated and hardworking civil servants.

Having said that, my belief in the rule of law comes before that. If we have granted people asylum, we have a legal obligation to uphold their human rights and treat them as our own. Imagine if the intelligence services had exposed, say, a former Russian national to intimidation by the SVR because we didn't like their politics? This should be the subject of a judicial inquiry
    Research conducted on a random assortment of papers without having the whole back storey can often lead to spurious accusations.

Although I wouldn't put anything past the bastion of the left, tony blair.

ReputationRep:
    Surprising? Not in the least bit.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was a double bluff ?

They (MI6) make them think the can operate freely so that the Libyans are open about what they are going to do, makes it easier to stop foreign agents if they tell you what their plans are.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Although I wouldn't put anything past the bastion of the left, tony blair.
    You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about the left; you bring them up even when it's completely irrelevant, in a manner almost consistent with the way neo-Nazis blame "the Jews" for everything. It's impossible to have a serious discussion with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about the left; you bring them up even when it's completely irrelevant, in a manner almost consistent with the way neo-Nazis blame "the Jews" for everything. It's impossible to have a serious discussion with you
    Nah.

Just blair.

I still remember sweating my balls off in a noddy suit crossing the border into Iraq.

ive reported about a dozen anti Semites the past week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.