The Student Room Group

Non-smokers, is smoking a dealbreaker to you?

I'm a girl and a light smoker (around 4-7 a day). I'm actually quite fit, I don't smell like an ashtray and always chew a gum after smoking as I don't like the aftertaste anyway. Would this be a dealbreaker to a lot of people? In other words, would you reject a smoker just due to the fact that they enjoy the occasional fag?

P.S.: Even I probably wouldn't date someone who smoked like 2-3 packs a day, that's freaking insane. I'm talking about a light/reasonable smoking habit here.

Scroll to see replies

yes
I strongly dislike smoking; it's not a total dealbreaker but the other person would have to be something pretty damn special for me to even consider them.
Complete deal breaker
Reply 4
Not a deal breaker as such, but if it was in ridiculous excess then it might be an issue. Their body is their own and inflicting the health implications of smoking is their own choice, so the issue for me more would be the money wasted.
Wouldn't date a girl who smokes.

If you're fit and don't like the aftertaste anyway why smoke? :curious:
tbh smoking is usually the "tip of the iceberg"... i would avoid smokers.
Reply 7
As a short-term thing it wouldn't bother me but the health issues it can cause would put me off a long-term relationship with a smoker.
Reply 8
Yes, 90% of the time. It just bothers me very much.
Yes, smoking even 1 a day leaves the most disgusting smell lingering in your hair and clothes. Your house, car will stink too.

Why would you want to smoke - to shorten your life? to make you ill? to damage any child you might have?

Are you suggesting by saying it is only a few a day that it isn't important or addictive for you?

If you are not addicted then it would be even more of a deal breaker. What sort of mind have you got that you would knowingly continue with an activity that can be lethal?

So stupid or addicted neither is an attractive attribute in anyone I'd be considering for a relationship.
Wouldn't be a major issue for me, if the person didn't reek of smoke and was considerate of my preferences (as I'd be of them) then I'd be fine with it. :smile:
Yeah, smoking is a deal breaker for me I'm afraid (for a relationship).
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Wouldn't date a girl who smokes.

If you're fit and don't like the aftertaste anyway why smoke? :curious:

'Cause I enjoy doing it? lolwut
I cannot stand the stench,so yes it would be.
Only if they were chain smoking through about 60 fags a day.
Original post by pickup
Yes, smoking even 1 a day leaves the most disgusting smell lingering in your hair and clothes. Your house, car will stink too.

Why would you want to smoke - to shorten your life? to make you ill? to damage any child you might have?

Are you suggesting by saying it is only a few a day that it isn't important or addictive for you?

If you are not addicted then it would be even more of a deal breaker. What sort of mind have you got that you would knowingly continue with an activity that can be lethal?

So stupid or addicted neither is an attractive attribute in anyone I'd be considering for a relationship.

I never smoke indoors and I'm pretty sure my hair and clothes don't stink either - many of my friends don't even know that I smoke (that's why I'm posting anon btw)

Some people choose to binge on junk food, drink excessive amounts of alcohol or have unprotected sex with people they don't know. Those habits can be at least as harmful as smoking yet people don't complain about them as much. I enjoy smoking so I'll keep doing it as long as I want to, unless I get pregnant which is a whole another thing as I'm reasonable enough to know the dangerous effects of smoking during pregnancy.
Reply 16
Original post by Andinet
I strongly dislike smoking, but to say it is a deal breaker is shallow and short sighted.

This ^^^
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and a light smoker (around 4-7 a day). I'm actually quite fit, I don't smell like an ashtray and always chew a gum after smoking as I don't like the aftertaste anyway. Would this be a dealbreaker to a lot of people? In other words, would you reject a smoker just due to the fact that they enjoy the occasional fag?

P.S.: Even I probably wouldn't date someone who smoked like 2-3 packs a day, that's freaking insane. I'm talking about a light/reasonable smoking habit here.

Not keen on smokers, annoys me when they smoke near to me, particularly in parkland or bus stop areas that should be smoke free for everyone benefit. Would not be a dealbreaker for me, tend to view girls that smoke as slags though, just the image it gives off.
Original post by Anonymous
I never smoke indoors and I'm pretty sure my hair and clothes don't stink either - many of my friends don't even know that I smoke (that's why I'm posting anon btw)

Some people choose to binge on junk food, drink excessive amounts of alcohol or have unprotected sex with people they don't know. Those habits can be at least as harmful as smoking yet people don't complain about them as much. I enjoy smoking so I'll keep doing it as long as I want to, unless I get pregnant which is a whole another thing as I'm reasonable enough to know the dangerous effects of smoking during pregnancy.

do your parents know you smoke must be hard to hide if your smoking up to 7 a day and quite costly but it's your choice at the end of the day
Reply 19
Wouldn't be good. From perspective it's a horrible habit and also if I cared about you I wouldn't want you stacking up this risk. But not an absolute deal breaker if I fancied the pants off a girl.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending