The Student Room Group

AS English Literature AQA LITB1 Resources

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CBftw
Hey, for the re-creative piece I did POSH by Laura Wade & for the analytical piece I did Twelfth Night by Shakespeare :smile:

oh ok thats a shame I'm not doing the same as you i could of asked you question but oh well
Reply 21
Original post by sumaya.ali
oh ok thats a shame I'm not doing the same as you i could of asked you question but oh well

aww, what was you going to ask? maybe I can still be of help?
Original post by CBftw
aww, what was you going to ask? maybe I can still be of help?

how do you achieve top band in your coursework and is the reaction piece harder cause i heard i takes quite long to do or is just the same as the analytical piece and any other tips you can give on the coursework .

THANKS
Original post by CBftw
Yeaaaahhhhh - go St Doms! :')
I wonder if I've seen you around college? Hmmmm...

I literally had no idea what to do in December - but I'm getting there looool. I find Browning so much harder than Tennyson for some reason :/

& awwww thanks. I'd be SOOOOOO happy to get an A.

LOOOL what a coincidence :')
I wonder too! I could tutor you in my frees hahaha :')

Yeah I feel like mocks are way too early to have a complete grasp of the text and its concepts.. but hey ho, what can we do.

Oh really? I much preferred Browning, and was so relieved to have Porphyria's Lover come up in the exam last year! But I guess Browning's poems are longer, harder to read into and less interesting to an extent.. But I enjoyed them for some reason! Tennyson's poems are very lovely and beautifully written, but I was set on doing Browning from the beginning. I'd advise you to have a clear idea of which text you're going to do for Section A so that you can focus on revising the specific AO's for that text :smile:
how do you achieve top band in your coursework and is the reaction piece harder cause i heard i takes quite long to do or is just the same as the analytical piece and any other tips you can give on the coursework .

THANKS

and also I'm doing JERUSALEM BY JEZ BUTTERWORTH ( CONTEMPORARY )
AND TAMING OF THE SHREW FOR the other
Reply 25

THANKS

well I got 25/30 for my recreative/reaction piece so I just got an A! I think the key is that you should be able to justify why you did what you did. My teacher basically broke it down by saying that you should think of it as 'the author did this, so I did this' (if that makes any sense?) I found the analytical piece waaayyy harder than the recreative piece - probably because I just couldn't get my head around Shakespeare :frown:
I think it depends which one is you strong point - I was obviously better at the creative side of things than the analytical side which is why I got higher in that piece.

My biggest tip, as stupid as it may sound, is don't leave anything to the last minute! I made this mistake (I handed my coursework in an hour before the deadline looool) - because I was rushing I didn't get to write as much as I wanted to & ultimately cost me getting an A overall :frown:

so yeah - that's all I could think of. sorry I wasn't very helpful, maybe someone else will give you a better answer?

Original post by Maddiee_xoxo
LOOOL what a coincidence :')
I wonder too! I could tutor you in my frees hahaha :')

Yeah I feel like mocks are way too early to have a complete grasp of the text and its concepts.. but hey ho, what can we do.

Oh really? I much preferred Browning, and was so relieved to have Porphyria's Lover come up in the exam last year! But I guess Browning's poems are longer, harder to read into and less interesting to an extent.. But I enjoyed them for some reason! Tennyson's poems are very lovely and beautifully written, but I was set on doing Browning from the beginning. I'd advise you to have a clear idea of which text you're going to do for Section A so that you can focus on revising the specific AO's for that text :smile:

if you could tutor me that would be amazing loooool :biggrin:
the mocks in December were terrible - they grades I got really shook my confidence - especially in psychology. I thought I did sooooo well & came out with a D :frown:
I think I'll do Tennyson for section A - we went through those poems in more detail in class than Browning, so I think I'd be more comfortable doing Tennyson :smile:
Original post by CBftw
well I got 25/30 for my recreative/reaction piece so I just got an A! I think the key is that you should be able to justify why you did what you did. My teacher basically broke it down by saying that you should think of it as 'the author did this, so I did this' (if that makes any sense?) I found the analytical piece waaayyy harder than the recreative piece - probably because I just couldn't get my head around Shakespeare :frown:
I think it depends which one is you strong point - I was obviously better at the creative side of things than the analytical side which is why I got higher in that piece.

My biggest tip, as stupid as it may sound, is don't leave anything to the last minute! I made this mistake (I handed my coursework in an hour before the deadline looool) - because I was rushing I didn't get to write as much as I wanted to & ultimately cost me getting an A overall :frown:

so yeah - that's all I could think of. sorry I wasn't very helpful, maybe someone else will give you a better answer?

the mocks in December were terrible - they grades I got really shook my confidence - especially in psychology. I thought I did sooooo well & came out with a D :frown:
I think I'll do Tennyson for section A - we went through those poems in more detail in class than Browning, so I think I'd be more comfortable doing Tennyson :smile:

thank you so much this was very helpful I'm sure you teacher is good whereas at my school i don't think they are that great

also one more thing is how do stay with in the the word limit
Reply 27
thank you so much this was very helpful I'm sure you teacher is good whereas at my school i don't think they are that great

also one more thing is how do stay with in the the word limit

no problem! what I did was I wrote down everything I wanted to write - before I started cutting things down. If you start cutting stuff down from the beginning, you run the risk of missing important things out. :smile:
I did this last year and did Browning, Auden, Enduring Love and The Kite Runner. I can share any resources I have too. :smile:
AUDEN
https://sites.google.com/site/litb1revisionaudenandmccarthy/auden-1/james-honeyman You can find quite a few Auden poems on there and general exam advice/exemplars.
http://peterlevine.ws/?p=9468 interesting commentary on 1 Sep 1939
http://cohenlit.wikispaces.com/file/view/Article+on+Auden+September+1+1939.pdf more 1 Sep 1939
http://chelm.freeyellow.com/victor1.html Victor
http://www.bachelorandmaster.com/britishandamericanpoetry/musee-des-beaux-arts.html Musee des Beaux Arts
ENDURING LOVE
http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1425&context=clcweb an essay entitled 'A Consilient Science and Humanities in McEwan's Enduring Love'
http://www.montclair.edu/profilepages/media/331/user/20479802.pdf essay 'Why can't biologists read poetry? Ian McEwan's Enduring Love'
http://doctorate.ulbsibiu.ro/obj/documents/rezumat-engleza-cojocaru.pdf not all of this essay is relevant as it talks about some of his other novels but interesting anyway as EL is essentially all about storytelling 'Storytelling and Storytellers in Ian McEwan's novels: An Ethical Perspective'
http://www.clas.ufl.edu/ipsa/2005/proc/kahane.pdf 'Fleeing Clarissa: A meditation on the nature of love, enduring or otherwise'

I don't really have anything on TKR because I hated it and it's not very complex anyway.
BROWNING
http://aspectsofnarrative.wikispaces.com/Fra+Lippo+Lippi
Fra Lippo Lippi
http://lib.ugent.be/fulltxt/RUG01/001/366/170/RUG01-001366170_2010_0001_AC.pdf not all of this is relevant but it is about his dramatic monologues and inc My Last Duchess, FLL & Porphyria's Lover
http://concept.journals.villanova.edu/article/viewFile/300/263 PL
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks :biggrin: I'm studying the Kite Runner from that list so I'll be using your notes!
Reply 30
This is so helpful! You're honestly so kind and amazing!!....im struggling with English SO much I know I wont do well, I keep scoring low on the essays. I find it really hard to distinguish between AO2 and A03
How are you preparing/revising for the exam ?

I am making notes but I feel like I am not going in any direction. Is there a way or specific topics I should make notes ? How are you structuring your notes ?

I have looked at some of the resources people have given that are relevant to me, thanks they really are useful :smile: Using the notes how do you effectively revise
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by humayra.ac
How are you preparing/revising for the exam ?

I am making notes but I feel like I am not going in any direction. Is there a way or specific topics I should make notes ? How are you structuring your notes ?

I have looked at some of the resources people have given that are relevant to me, thanks they really are useful :smile: Using the notes how do you effectively revise

What I did last year was that I split each text into themes and made mindmaps on each theme with quotes, and then further broke it down into the different assessment objectives, so context, language, etc
Then try to link all the texts together from those themes! If that makes sense :tongue:
The best thing to do is practice past papers! Do as many questions as possible, and even make up your own ones to practice, it will be really useful for the exam :smile:
Original post by CBftw

awww I'm curious to know who you are now hahaha, hopefully see you around the English department soon! Drop me a PM if you want to meet up and discuss anything you need help with :smile:
Don't worry, mocks really don't mean anything! They're useless imo :')
I dropped Psychology, couldn't deal with all of those case studies! You'll be fine though honestly! I feel like AS Psychology is easy to do well in if you revise hard enough cos it's literally regurgitating information: P
That sounds goood!
Original post by Tj789
This is so helpful! You're honestly so kind and amazing!!....im struggling with English SO much I know I wont do well, I keep scoring low on the essays. I find it really hard to distinguish between AO2 and A03

Awwww that's so sweet of you, honestly it's my pleasure, I'm glad they're of use!!
Hey don't ever say that! You just need to practice exam technique, know your texts well enough to write about them confidently and you'll be FINE i promise!!
Okay so AO2 is basically analysing the author's intention for the form, structure and language he uses to develop the text.
FORM = play, poem, iambic pentameter, etc
STRUCTURE = time, seasons, cyclical patterns, chapters, paragraphs, prose, etc
LANGUAGE = symbolism, metaphors, rhetorical questions, dialogue, first/second/third person, etc
WHY did they use these techniques? How does the author use them effectively? This is what you need to discuss in order to really hit AO2.

AO3 is about context. This doesn't mean you write an autobiography of your author. This means you write about information RELEVANT to the question and your argument - e.g. author's home country, the time period of the novel, any themes included in the novel, etc

Hope this helped you! Let me know if there's anything else I could help with :smile:
What I did last year was that I split each text into themes and made mindmaps on each theme with quotes, and then further broke it down into the different assessment objectives, so context, language, etc
Then try to link all the texts together from those themes! If that makes sense :tongue:
The best thing to do is practice past papers! Do as many questions as possible, and even make up your own ones to practice, it will be really useful for the exam :smile:

Was this for just the section B question or for the whole paper if you don't mind me asking? It's just that I feel so lost when it comes to revision for this exam and I don't understand how to incorporate my notes into actually answering the questions!
Reply 36
Such a helpful thread, thank you! Do you have any old sample answers?
Hi there!

These resources are absolutely brilliant, thank you! I was wondering if you had any notes whatsoever on Lawrence's 'England, My England'? These would really, really help! Thank you in advance! :biggrin:
Reply 38
Does anyone have any good notes on birdsong or know of anywhere to get some... I'm retaking and have zero comprehensable notes from last year on this text 😱
Thanks!!

Okay so AO2 is basically analysing the author's intention for the form, structure and language he uses to develop the text.
FORM = play, poem, iambic pentameter, etc
STRUCTURE = time, seasons, cyclical patterns, chapters, paragraphs, prose, etc
LANGUAGE = symbolism, metaphors, rhetorical questions, dialogue, first/second/third person, etc
WHY did they use these techniques? How does the author use them effectively? This is what you need to discuss in order to really hit AO2.

AO3 is about context. This doesn't mean you write an autobiography of your author. This means you write about information RELEVANT to the question and your argument - e.g. author's home country, the time period of the novel, any themes included in the novel, etc

AO3 is critical analysis, AO4 is context...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending