Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is probably asked loads and I'm sorry; I am submitting a scholarship application and i need to have it decided within today. The courses are mechanical engineering and computer engineering. The thing is I don't know what i'm interested in. I have researched most things I can and still... :confused:

In General: I want to work in a field where I can work on more cutting edge/less solved problems. To work on a field that is not being worked on before is quite important to me. I want to be designing a product to make it to use/or at least with a result I can see.
    I should mention I have a long-term sickness of dizziness which requires me to take medication daily, so extreme motion or whatever will worn me out. It would be good if what I do is more stable, but it isn't the main concern. Money is not a concern. If I want quick bucks I would have studied medicine.

My basic maths is wonderful.The problem? My advanced maths is more trippy. I quite hate calculus; I didn't find solving that interesting, I don't see a purpose in solving those thousands of questions thrown at me (it's perhaps not the practical aspect, I also dread the physics question thrown at me although I still enjoy it more than other subjects). In terms of hate, from the least hate to most hate, is as follows:
    (Least hate): System of Linear Equation < Matrices < Mathematical Induction < Limits < Differentation < Integration < Binomial < Vector < Advanced Trigonometry (most hate).

Mechanical engineering: I'm indeed interested in how things can be built. Knowing the system is interesting, also designing them. Designing and building cars? Air conditioners? Sounds fun. Spaceship? Even better.
    I love physics. At least the high school ones – I like mechanics the best. I like other topics such as electromagnetism, but not as much. Mechanics is chilling to solve. I do not exactly have a love of cars, however. I just wish I can make them faster. I want to design them faster. But I don't particularly like them. I just want to make them better things then kick them out of my sight.

Studying systems – especially like those simple “Ostwald process” – is not very appealing to me. I know Ostwald is chemistry; I dread chemistry, but mechanical systems… it doesn’t click immediately at ‘oh interesting!!’. I am not sure to think – afterall what I am do is to design systems. The chemical or whatever process isn’t as interesting. I feel kind of like going back to my high school memorization of processes (which I hate memorizing) and applying it back to something. And when you look at those design diagrams or whatever of a certain part – some cold chill was sent down my spine.

My work place experience actually made me dread engineering – they are working on certain system installing of electricity or whatever and their diagrams and their working attitude makes me feel dreadful.
    Thermodynamics? Heat transfer? Sounds fine, sounds like usual physics I can ace, but also like practicing – the thing I didn’t exactly like in high school. I love physics, but I love to think of it abstractly and of its theories, not exactly the practicing of it on something I don’t care. However, solving it is indeed enjoyable, at least in high school - free body diagrams or whatever is very fun.

Computer engineering: I like logic stuff. My favorite, favorite thing. Abstract stuff too. Writing/maintaining games is nice, basically most things about computers are nice, and I am very interested in artificial intelligence too. the algorithms of computer engineering actually looks pretty interesting, unlike mechanical engineering. The electrical system diagrams do not look as interesting, but it’s also fine.

ps I like robots – they are probably more overlapping of both fields, but I do not fancy building it as much I suppose or connecting it. I’m more interested in making the robot function as it say with the center command rather than having its limb moving in a mechanical way.

All in all, I'd rather be working in a field of things more cutting edge and with less of the maths I hate.
    This is long, incoherent, and the grammar looks pretty horrible - I'm sorry my dizziness is coming to me again. Thank you for any insights in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosaceae2)
    From what you've said you're probably more better suited to Computer Science rather than engineering. Computer engineering focuses more on hardware with some software knowledge although you will have to learn electronics engineering and this means having to deal with lots of calculus.

And since you like stuff like A.I. you can easily find Comp Sci degrees which have the two mixed together

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really sound like you're suited for engineering. You'll be doing maths every day if you go into any kind of engineering, much of it harder than the stuff you've listed there. The fact that you've also said that some of your experiences have made you dread it doesn't help either.

Like a10 said, maybe look into something like Computer Science? It involves less maths and is more high level than engineering. Or, seeing as you like things that are theoretical and abstract, maybe something less applied like Physics? Although that will also involve a hell of a lot of maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.