Zeldork
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm interested in becoming a student at Birmingham this Autumn, so at the moment I'm doing some research into the accommodation that the Uni has to offer.

I found out that Maple Bank flats have shared bathroom facilities, but does this mean that there's just one shower per flat or more than one?

Also, flats in halls that are en-suite are more than £2,000 dearer - is it worth the extra money?

I'm currently interested in the Shackleton, Elgar Court, Chamberlain and Maple Bank halls. If anyone has stayed in one of these halls and could give an insight into what it was like there or a recommendation then I would be very grateful.

Thanks
amberskye
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zeldork)
Hi I'm interested in becoming a student at Birmingham this Autumn, so at the moment I'm doing some research into the accommodation that the Uni has to offer.

I found out that Maple Bank flats have shared bathroom facilities, but does this mean that there's just one shower per flat or more than one?

Also, flats in halls that are en-suite are more than £2,000 dearer - is it worth the extra money?

I'm currently interested in the Shackleton, Elgar Court, Chamberlain and Maple Bank halls. If anyone has stayed in one of these halls and could give an insight into what it was like there or a recommendation then I would be very grateful.

Thanks
When I visited the accommodation Maple Bank flats have one bathroom per flat, so yes one shower. I personally don't fancy paying extra thousands just to have my own bathroom, so I don't think it's worth it. I also had a look at Shackleton, the flats are a bit bigger than Maple Bank and are obviously en-suite, but generally of the same quality. I didn't look at Elgar Court, and Chamberlain is in the process of being built.
Zeldork
Rep:
?
(Original post by amberskye)
When I visited the accommodation Maple Bank flats have one bathroom per flat, so yes one shower. I personally don't fancy paying extra thousands just to have my own bathroom, so I don't think it's worth it. I also had a look at Shackleton, the flats are a bit bigger than Maple Bank and are obviously en-suite, but generally of the same quality. I didn't look at Elgar Court, and Chamberlain is in the process of being built.
Oh OK, thanks a lot

I'm going to an open day soon so I'll look around a bit myself, but I looked at the accommodation videos on the UoB website and The Hub looks really good. The Maple Bank rooms did look a bit small, and I know someone who stayed there and found them a bit small, but then again the living costs at maple Bank are quite a lot cheaper than at other places.

Do you have a particular favorite at the moment after looking around the accommodation?
amberskye
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zeldork)
Oh OK, thanks a lot

I'm going to an open day soon so I'll look around a bit myself, but I looked at the accommodation videos on the UoB website and The Hub looks really good. The Maple Bank rooms did look a bit small, and I know someone who stayed there and found them a bit small, but then again the living costs at maple Bank are quite a lot cheaper than at other places.

Do you have a particular favorite at the moment after looking around the accommodation?
Yeah they are smaller, but as you say a lot cheaper I've put maple bank as my 1st and 2nd choice, then Tennis Courts, Jarratt Hall, Ashcroft and Oakley - I haven't looked at the last three but I'm planning to do so on the accommodation open day.
Zeldork
Rep:
?
Yeah it's a good idea to have a look. What I'm thinking of doing is going to the uni on an applicant open day that isn't for my course (as well as the one that is) because on those days the halls will be open all day and you can look around way before the accommodation open day
Zeldork
Rep:
?
Also this year accommodation is allocated in random order rather than on a first come, first served basis which is good since it means you don't have to rush to make a decision (although you can always change your accommodation choices after applying...)
corax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maple Bank has one shower and two toilets.

Sharing is honestly fine, I do now. You also seem to get on a average a bigger room for sharing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (363)
59.12%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.37%
No- I want it (174)
28.34%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.17%

Watched Threads