Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have to pick my GCSE options in a few weeks and I can't decide between taking French, Spanish and Latin. Because of the other subjects I want to do, I only have space for two of these languages, but I don't know which ones to do. People who have done all three, which ones did you find the most useful?Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done the GCSE in all three, but I've had experience in them all. I would personally go for Latin and either French/Spanish- depending on how strong the department is in your school (Spanish was my choice as we had 97% of students achieve A* whereas French had 64%).

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is easier and more useful than the rest I think.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm doing French and latin and i would recommend French for everyone cause it's so easy! However latin is one of the most difficult Gcse's out there and I would only do it if you are naturally good at language and have a really good memory. I have my gcse this yet and it's so hard!! Spanish you have to learn a lot in a short space of time but if you want to I hear it's somewhat more enjoyable than French. If u take latin good luck, it is incredibly hard as you has to learn so many rules and structures and the analytical translation sucks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spanish is brilliant, I would highly recommend it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlocked13)
    Hi, I have to pick my GCSE options in a few weeks and I can't decide between taking French, Spanish and Latin. Because of the other subjects I want to do, I only have space for two of these languages, but I don't know which ones to do. People who have done all three, which ones did you find the most useful?Thanks
    I took Spanish and Latin, and Latin was really hard for me. There's a lot to know and remember vocab-wise and I wasn't really interested enough in it to focus on declensions and cases and that. I took short course because the translations were a lot of work, and I got a B; it is pretty useful for English and word origins though. Personally Spanish was loads better (I got an A, but dropped marks due to coursework :rolleyes:) but the problem with GCSE languages is that they're essentially memory tests, although the vocab and tenses are pretty simple once you've got them and it was really fun. From what I know from my friends who took French it was pretty much the same, but I'm biased towards Spanish.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sherlocked13)
    Hi, I have to pick my GCSE options in a few weeks and I can't decide between taking French, Spanish and Latin. Because of the other subjects I want to do, I only have space for two of these languages, but I don't know which ones to do. People who have done all three, which ones did you find the most useful? Thanks
    Heard by many that Latin is hard and I think the other two will be more useful. But you should think about what you like?

ReputationRep:
    Spanish and French would be more useful as hardly anyone speaks Latin as a first language, so you would rarely use it. French is really easy (although I was brought up speaking it at home so I might be biased...) and I think the french and spanish exams are the same format so that would be a bonus. Go with your heart though and pick the ones you feel will be better for you

ReputationRep:
    I think french is the most useful.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.