The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Sociology

How is everyone getting on with Sociology this year?
What topics are you studying?
Look forward to speaking to you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

So far I'm enjoying sociology this year, I just struggle with getting top marks for essays. So far we've looked at crime and deviance, globalisation, religious organisations, and fundamentalism. I got a C last year for AS, and I really want to bump up my grade for A2.

I'm really enjoying it this year! How about you?
Reply 2
Hi there!
We're doing Global Development and Crime and Deviance right now. I'm finding Global Development ok, but Crime and Deviance is a drag! Much preferred AS Sociology. I got a D last year, so I'm resitting the Families and Households unit to try and help me get the B in need this year, we'll see!
Have you done any mocks yet? :smile:
Globalization and Crime and deviance :smile: but I'm doing AS along side of the A2 so learning a lot XD

Does anyone know any good A2 revision sites? :smile:
Original post by bmjordan
Hi there!
We're doing Global Development and Crime and Deviance right now. I'm finding Global Development ok, but Crime and Deviance is a drag! Much preferred AS Sociology. I got a D last year, so I'm resitting the Families and Households unit to try and help me get the B in need this year, we'll see!
Have you done any mocks yet? :smile:

Oooh interesting! Crime and deviance is okay I guess, it's just the stats and theory that annoys me haha, but all that asides it's pretty interesting. Funny thing, last year I struggled with research methods and I learnt it all within a week of before my exam and I got a B in that unit! Families and households I found so easy but I got a C! That was so strange I genuinely expected to do worse lol.

But yeah, we had mocks last week, and we're getting our results next week. The questions were so easy but no one revised so our teachers are really mad because they know we've done terrible haha.

How about you?
Original post by JokerGirl
Globalization and Crime and deviance :smile: but I'm doing AS along side of the A2 so learning a lot XD

Does anyone know any good A2 revision sites? :smile:

Hey! I'm doing the exact same as you, it's pretty interesting! I couldn't find any useful sites but I recently bought the CGP book for A2 sociology you should deffo get one! You can the combined AS & A2 CGP textbook off Amazon pretty cheap, it's so useful!
Original post by sporadic_
Hey! I'm doing the exact same as you, it's pretty interesting! I couldn't find any useful sites but I recently bought the CGP book for A2 sociology you should deffo get one! You can the combined AS & A2 CGP textbook off Amazon pretty cheap, it's so useful!

Awesome! We can be revision buddies! What are you doing at AS? I'm doing families and households and education :smile:
Awesome! We can be revision buddies! What are you doing at AS? I'm doing families and households and education :smile:

I've done AS for sociology, I did the exact same units. I got a B for education w/ research methods and a C for Families & households. But yes we can!
Original post by sporadic_
I've done AS for sociology, I did the exact same units. I got a B for education w/ research methods and a C for Families & households. But yes we can!

Brilliant :smile: lets do it!
Reply 9
Hello, I am struggling a little in regards to structure, how much to write etc.I am retaking one from last year so doing three - arghh. I need all the help I can
Reply 10
Original post by Harrigt
Hello, I am struggling a little in regards to structure, how much to write etc.I am retaking one from last year so doing three - arghh. I need all the help I can

I'm resitting one from AS as well, so we're in the same boat. I did my mock a week before last - for A2 topic 3, and wrote about 3/4 of a page for the 9 mark question, a page for the second question (18 marks) and two pages for the 33 mark question, so about four pages for the entire exam. The exam is an hour and a half, so about 10-15 minutes for the first question, 20-30 minutes for the second question and the last hour/45 minutes on the big question.
Hope that makes sense?!:smile:
Reply 11
Brilliant :smile: lets do it!

Hi, can we be revision buddies as well? Not to sound weird or anything. Could do with the extra help and most likely will do better with a group.
Reply 12
Original post by Wheezy
I'm resitting one from AS as well, so we're in the same boat. I did my mock a week before last - for A2 topic 3, and wrote about 3/4 of a page for the 9 mark question, a page for the second question (18 marks) and two pages for the 33 mark question, so about four pages for the entire exam. The exam is an hour and a half, so about 10-15 minutes for the first question, 20-30 minutes for the second question and the last hour/45 minutes on the big question.
Hope that makes sense?!:smile:

Thanks that does make sense. I also wondered did you include the year for sociologists cos I didn't?
Reply 13
Original post by Harrigt
Thanks that does make sense. I also wondered did you include the year for sociologists cos I didn't?

No, I wouldn't bother, might look good but it doesn't give you any extra marks
Reply 14
Original post by Wheezy
No, I wouldn't bother, might look good but it doesn't give you any extra marks

Thanks for that. I cant remember the years anyway.
Original post by Harrigt
Hi, can we be revision buddies as well? Not to sound weird or anything. Could do with the extra help and most likely will do better with a group.

Sure thing :smile: send me a pm and we'll work something out :smile:
does anyone have any writing frames for sociology essays?:smile:
Reply 17
I too did sociology and got a C(68%).i chose education,religion and mass media as my A2 topics,mass media was the most intresting.
Reply 18
Sure thing :smile: send me a pm and we'll work something out :smile:

Awesome - thanks. I don't know where to start lol. At the moment, I'm doing beliefs in society - what about you?
Reply 19
Original post by sociologists
does anyone have any writing frames for sociology essays?:smile:

I asked someone on another post but no reply yet unfortunately

Quick Reply

Latest