Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 13 student hoping to go into Criminal law and I have applied to various places. I was thinking - would a Law with Criminology LLB (Hons) be a better choice for this field, or would a full Law LLB (Hons) degree be better?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJHoward)
    I am a year 13 student hoping to go into Criminal law and I have applied to various places. I was thinking - would a Law with Criminology LLB (Hons) be a better choice for this field, or would a full Law LLB (Hons) degree be better?

Thanks.
    If your interested in going into Criminal Law then Law and Criminology would be better. Try and have a look at the module overview for both courses, has they would give you a general overview of what you would be taught. I would also suggest you go to taster days and have a feel for each of the course. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty-meaw)
    If your interested in going into Criminal Law then Law and Criminology would be better. Try and have a look at the module overview for both courses, has they would give you a general overview of what you would be taught. I would also suggest you go to taster days and have a feel for each of the course. Good luck
    Ah I see, that makes sense, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJHoward)
    Ah I see, that makes sense, thank you
    Your welcome

ReputationRep:
    Not sure really. I have a masters in criminology and a first in law. Criminology is very different - or at least it was where I studied it and I was amongst many psychology students. Oddly enough I took commercial subjects in LL.B and had a rethink for various reasons with masters.

In criminology we look at the causes of crime, including mental health and social disadvantage. This is very different from applying a criminal statute in a court of law. Not saying you shouldn't - but many in criminology are going to be interested in the social side of the CJS - helping people, social support, probation. This is a bit different to a career in law. Sure there is overlap but it's easy to group the two subjects together and really my masters was more aligned to psychology and my supervisor was a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keane1982)
    Not sure really. I have a masters in criminology and a first in law. Criminology is very different - or at least it was where I studied it and I was amongst many psychology students. Oddly enough I took commercial subjects in LL.B and had a rethink for various reasons with masters.

In criminology we look at the causes of crime, including mental health and social disadvantage. This is very different from applying a criminal statute in a court of law. Not saying you shouldn't - but many in criminology are going to be interested in the social side of the CJS - helping people, social support, probation. This is a bit different to a career in law. Sure there is overlap but it's easy to group the two subjects together and really my masters was more aligned to psychology and my supervisor was a psychiatrist.
    See, since I aspire to work in criminal law I thought Criminology would compliment. I looked at the modules taught in the Law with Criminology (Criminology is a minor here btw) and all of them relate.
    It would be set out with me doing two criminology modules in my first year (Introduction to Crime and Society and Controlling Crime), one in my second year (Understanding crime, justice and punishment) and having a variety of optional ones to choose in my third, all which relate such as Corporate Crime.

Hence, I thought it would be a good minor to go along with Law to get a job in criminal law.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it will be a great thing to do and interesting too. Good luck! I had many friends who did law and criminology; they really liked it. No doubt the criminology modules with complement your law ones too because they will have designed the course accordingly.

In my own masters there wasn't a lot of law overlap but that's at a different level in a specific faculty with psychologists in it.

Have fun. Don't let me darken your plans - I wish I was your age again and looking at university. I am an oldie

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.