Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is what I have at the moment. suggestions and improvements please! currently this fits on one a4 sheet (including both mine and hospital addresses) is that enough?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to enquire about the possibility of a work experience placement at Bedford Hospital during one of the following dates: 30th March-3rd April, 25th-29th May or 13th-17th July 2015. (Three preferences were needed)

I am currently 16 and studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Spanish at A level at Sharnbrook Upper School. I believe my keen interest of chemistry and biology as well as my logical skills developed in maths have helped me build strong foundations for a career in the medical field.

I am particularly interested in a career as a doctor or in pharmacology and I believe that undertaking work experience at Bedford Hospital will further my knowledge and passion as well as helping me confirm my career choice. I feel that Bedford Hospital is an excellent centre to develop my skills and gain experience from shadowing and working with your highly qualified staff.

Prior to this, I have developed team work, communication and leadership skills during my two weeks with the National Citizens Service (NCS) where I spent two weeks building friendships and trust with other young people and producing a social action project to benefit our local community. We were able to work with a care home to provide a party day for the residents and so, gained confidence and patient care skills. I have also spent a summer working at a drinks stall, during which, I learnt how to work efficiently as part of a team and critical thinking while under pressure.

Please find my application, CV and references enclosed.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Grace Li
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kaimu)
    It's pretty good so far, but perhaps could add some more value. if you are going to email the application, then you don't need to put their address on there, that is for using on windowed envelopes. That gives you 5 or 6 extra lines to spend strengthening your application.

You have got the right format, tell them why you want to do this sort of work, tell them why you want to work for this organisation and then tell them why you'd be good at it.

It's this third section you could strengthen. Rather than try and cram in all sorts of skills it is better to pick the three most relevant skills and give evidence of how you have applied them. For example -

I am a good communicator. While I was volunteering at XXX I talked to elderly residents, often participating in long conversations about their memories. When I volunteered in the summer play-scheme i had to use a variety of communication skills to get the quieter children to participate and to keep control of the rowdier classes.

So that is a clear statement about the relevant skill and two strong examples that might be relevant to the job.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.