Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First time learning a language, I am 17 taking Spanish evening classes once per week for two hours. Could anybody give me advice on how to improve quickly in Spanish, I could do an extra 5 hours in my own time, the problem being I don't know where to start in terms of additional learning

ReputationRep:
    Look for some Spanish people to chat with, for example on Omegle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    First time learning a language, I am 17 taking Spanish evening classes once per week for two hours. Could anybody give me advice on how to improve quickly in Spanish, I could do an extra 5 hours in my own time, the problem being I don't know where to start in terms of additional learning
    As the poster above said, try find people to practice speaking with.

I'd personally focus on grammar too - it's much easier to pick up new vocab than it is to learn to manipulate verbs and sentence structures etc. If you get the grammar down then you'll progress much quicker later on

Also, try look if there's any free apps out there. I use Duolingo for Portuguese which I'm currently doing as an evening class and I find it useful for vocab building. I used Cat Spanish briefly out of curiosity and that was quite good too. Had a small charge for that app but wasn't expensive at all

ReputationRep:
    Practice speaking with people -- it is the best way.

Also I listen to a lot audiobooks. Use
    Workaudiobook player to simplify the task. Start with abridged Spanish audiobooks, you'll be able to find a lot of them at popular torrent web sites.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to practice speaking (which would be a really good idea!) there's a website called italki where you can find native spanish speakers who want to learn english and have conversations with them half in English and half in Spanish so you can both help each other to improve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.