Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I am an Analyst 1 in the Nat. Res. coverage team of a top tier investment bank and I stand to make a 50% of base bonus in July; however, I want to move to either another industry coverage group or generalist M&A in another bank. I have had a bunch of headhunters calling, but I dont really know how to ask or what will happen to the bonus I stand to make in July.. If I move in let's say February/March, can I expect getting a sign-on bonus and/or a bonus in July?

Also, what are the typical claw-backs at other places? Is it like two months and how can you check such things?

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investitore)
    Hey everyone, I am an Analyst 1 in the Nat. Res. coverage team of a top tier investment bank and I stand to make a 50% of base bonus in July; however, I want to move to either another industry coverage group or generalist M&A in another bank. I have had a bunch of headhunters calling, but I dont really know how to ask or what will happen to the bonus I stand to make in July.. If I move in let's say February/March, can I expect getting a sign-on bonus and/or a bonus in July?

Also, what are the typical claw-backs at other places? Is it like two months and how can you check such things?

Thanks,
    I would have thought common sense dictates that if you leave before the bonus is due, you won't get a bonus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I would have thought common sense dictates that if you leave before the bonus is due, you won't get a bonus?
    Bonus due in July, i have heard that if you leave in August, you still need to pay it back or something like this ;s

ReputationRep:
    Bonus due in July, i have heard that if you leave in August, you still need to pay it back or something like this ;s
    Well that's an entirely different circumstance. If you leave in Feb/Mar with a bonus due in July, I'm 99% sure you'll get nothing. If you leave in August, that'll very much depend on the conditions attached to the bonus per your contract. I would ordinarily expect it to be fine, so long as you aren't on notice at the point bonus is due to be paid (so that may impact you if you due bonus end of July, as you'd have to give notice in for an August start at least 1 month ahead I assume).

ReputationRep:

Thanks,
    if you leave your bank before your bonus is paid you are not going to get it.

If you move to another bank they may pay you a stub bonus, but this is something you would and should raise with them before you sign on.

ReputationRep:
    If you leave before the bonus hits your bank account, you'll not get anything. Don't just quit after your bonus was communicated but stick around until it hits your bank account. This might take a bit of time at some banks.

If you leave after your bonus was paid to your bank account, nothing will happen unless it is stated in your contract. This is common for sign-on bonuses which can be redeemed if you leave in the first 12m of your analyst stint.

Also check your contract for your period of notice. And if you are at a elite boutique, check for the policy for your restricted stock units as well.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.