Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

babysitting - was i ripped off? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    last night was my first time babysitting, but i feel i might have been ripped off
    i am 17 years old and have no baby sitting qualifications, however am crb cheacked as i am a qualified cricket coach and badminton coach, and therefore do lots of wofk with children. i was asked at 5:45 if i could baby sit for my neibourghs that night at 8:30 - 10:30, so quite last minute, but i was free so did. they got home at 10:15 but i had made time to stay till later. i havent spocken to them before and dont know them, so it wasnt a favour, defo a job.

they had a 7 year old boy who was but to bed as i got there, a 10 year old girl who i had to put to bed an hour later and a 12 year old girl who would stay up till they got back. as well as a dog i had to keep an eye on.

they were all a nightmare, and kept throwing stuff at me and refusing to go to bed. but i kept putting the boy to bed and got the girl in bed only 10 mins late. and i had to deal with the boy picking his scab on his head and it bleeding. "i was the worst babysitter ever" in his words, but really i could just tell that he was lying having had lots of experience with bratty kids through coaching, so he was anoyed. at one point i stopped the girl from doing somethign (cant remember what tho) and she said "ok, your good, i will give you that" since i had seen through her lie and tricked her to bed. -after several hissy fits.

i got paid £7.50 for the night. which is a nice amount and would do it again for that (considering my previous job at a pub), but i cant help feeling that its not enough, (and we agreed before hand £7.50 an hour, but they were not english so put this down to a missunderstanding). there was a lot more responsability than my pub job, and i didnt know these kids (or there names until i asked them!!!!)

so three troublesome kids, having to put one to bed and keep one in bed, and amusing the other, one dog, last minute call and poor english communication (think they are brazillian).
    do you think i was ripped of? how much would you have charged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horseyfan)
    X
    Put the money thing down to a miscommunication and in future say £7.50 an hour and reiterate that it would be £15 for the night. I think you were a bit 'put out' I guess that the kids weren't that well behaved and you didn't know them. But the latter you went into the job not knowing them so you can't really complain about that.

I think if it was £7.50 an hour then given your lacking qualification then that's reasonable, just in future make sure it is actually per hour. If it was for two hours for three kids and a dog I would pay £20.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Put the money thing down to a miscommunication and in future say £7.50 an hour and reiterate that it would be £15 for the night. I think you were a bit 'put out' I guess that the kids weren't that well behaved and you didn't know them. But the latter you went into the job not knowing them so you can't really complain about that.

I think if it was £7.50 an hour then given your lacking qualification then that's reasonable, just in future make sure it is actually per hour. If it was for two hours for three kids and a dog I would pay £20.
    I agree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.