Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done it?

I am getting the new 3DS next month and I want to transfer all of my data from my old 3DS to my new one.

This includes data on my SD card, as I would have less hassle if I transferred the data on my 2 GB data card to my 12/20 (cannot remember off the top of my head) GB data card.

Will I lose all my save data? How do I transfer data from 1 SD card to another? Am I being needlessly paranoid that I am going to lose all of my Save Data and my DLC???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenEmblem277)
    Has anyone done it?

I am getting the new 3DS next month and I want to transfer all of my data from my old 3DS to my new one.

This includes data on my SD card, as I would have less hassle if I transferred the data on my 2 GB data card to my 12/20 (cannot remember off the top of my head) GB data card.

Will I lose all my save data? How do I transfer data from 1 SD card to another? Am I being needlessly paranoid that I am going to lose all of my Save Data and my DLC???
    There's a system transfer process, which should retain all relevant data from your existing 3DS. Details here: http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/i...&helpcatID=373

Are you aware that the two systems use a different memory format? The 3DS uses standard SD cards, while the New 3DS uses microSD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    There's a system transfer process, which should retain all relevant data from your existing 3DS. Details here: http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/i...&helpcatID=373

Are you aware that the two systems use a different memory format? The 3DS uses standard SD cards, while the New 3DS uses microSD.
    ...Damn. That makes things even more complicated.....

ReputationRep:
    ...Damn. That makes things even more complicated.....
    Not especially so. Have you read the steps at my link?

ReputationRep:
    Not especially so. Have you read the steps at my link?
    I have, as well as watching several online tutorials. The reason why I think it'll get more complicated is that I have 2 SDs full of stuff.... I was hoping that the New 3DS would take normal SD cards and that meant that I only had to perform the transfer once. But now that I have found that it uses microSD, I have to:

1) Get a new microSD card
    2) Perform 2 transfers in a week... And there's that whole 7 day limit thing (apparently) which sucks. Mainly because I want to give my sister my old 3DS, and as she's at uni, I see her rarely. The next time I get to see her is the 20th (I think).

ReputationRep:
    I have, as well as watching several online tutorials. The reason why I think it'll get more complicated is that I have 2 SDs full of stuff.... I was hoping that the New 3DS would take normal SD cards and that meant that I only had to perform the transfer once. But now that I have found that it uses microSD, I have to:

1) Get a new microSD card
    2) Perform 2 transfers in a week... And there's that whole 7 day limit thing (apparently) which sucks. Mainly because I want to give my sister my old 3DS, and as she's at uni, I see her rarely. The next time I get to see her is the 20th (I think).
    Why the need for a new card? The system comes with one pre-installed. Or is 4GB not enough for your needs?

ReputationRep:
    Why the need for a new card? The system comes with one pre-installed. Or is 4GB not enough for your needs?
    If I put the information on both SD cards onto the microSD card, I would have roughly have 0.3 GB left or something. If there's a game that I want that can only be downloaded on the eshop, I don't have much room for manoeuvre. With a 16GB microSD card, I have room to buy games such as Bravely Second, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Persona Q digitally.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same thing with the MM edition new 3ds, I also want to upgrade to the 32gb micro sd from the 8gb sd card in my current XL.

Only thing I'm worried about is whether I will lose the pre-installed version of MM when I do the transfer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.