The Student Room Group

Am I a jerk?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Green_Pink
You're clearly too attached here. Sorry if I was a bit harsh before. You really need to take some time away - living together doesn't help. Stay with another friend, family or whoever for a while if you can, because it's not healthy to be reliant on someone else especially when they don't feel the same way, whether they're a friend or a partner. You can change that and trust me, you'll be happier for it :smile:

But I don't want to continue the friendship. I just don't feel anything. It feels like I am doing it for the sake of it
As it's been 3 days since you asked her out how has she been acting around you since then?
Reply 82
Original post by Ozark
This is precisely my point. You aren't in the mental state to make a rational decision that you won't regret right now so give it some time (a couple of weeks) and then make a rational decision when you're more level-headed.

I'm clinically depressed (although none of my friends know) so that doesn't really exist
Reply 83
Original post by the eurasiannation
As it's been 3 days since you asked her out how has she been acting around you since then?

Just like normal. (She has since about 10 seconds after she said no). She wants me to go to a university meal type thing with her tomorrow and I think I'd rather spend the time doing anything else
Original post by Sluice
But I don't want to continue the friendship. I just don't feel anything. It feels like I am doing it for the sake of it

Exactly, someone above said how has she been acting since THE REJECTION. Please answer
Original post by Sluice

Everything's going to be very raw right now. In my experience sometimes feelings change and you will want her in your life, so don't do anything drastic.
Reply 86
Original post by Ekemini
Exactly, someone above said how has she been acting since THE REJECTION. Please answer

Just did
Reply 87
Original post by Green_Pink
Everything's going to be very raw right now. In my experience sometimes feelings change and you will want her in your life, so don't do anything drastic.

It isn't raw though. It's being disillusioned
Original post by Sluice
Just like normal. (She has since about 10 seconds after she said no). She wants me to go to a university meal type thing with her tomorrow and I think I'd rather spend the time doing anything else

Do what you wish to do then. I have clinical depression myself and would really hate to be in your situation right now. It would be helpful for you to talk with a close figure that you trust. Does your family know about your depression, hell, does she even know about it?

Try to stay productive in your daily routine to prevent those negative cycles. If you don't want to have a direct confrontation with her about ending/ your friendship drifting away. See what her reaction is when you become more distant and that in itself will probably give you an indication whether she's really your friend or not.

About being disillusioned: Sometimes people just aren't what they seem to be, the only thing you can do is move on and find someone that deserves your respect.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sluice
Just did

Then take your sorry ass and go do something else :smile:
Reply 90
Do what you wish to do then. I have clinical depression myself and would really hate to be in your situation right now. It would be helpful for you to talk with a close figure that you trust. Does your family know about your depression, hell, does she even know about it?

Try to stay productive in your daily routine to prevent those negative cycles. If you don't want to have a direct confrontation with her about ending/ your friendship drifting away. See what her reaction is when you become more distant and that in itself will probably give you an indication whether she's really your friend or not.

No. No one I know does. I've never told anyone except for a doctor about 2 months ago.
Original post by Sluice
It isn't raw though. It's being disillusioned

Hoping that I'll never have to say
It's just an illusion, illusion, illusion
Follow your emotions anywhere
Is it really magic in the air?
Never let your feelings get you down
Open up your eyes and look around
Reply 92
Original post by Ekemini
Hoping that I'll never have to say
Follow your emotions anywhere
Is it really magic in the air?
Never let your feelings get you down
Open up your eyes and look around

What song is that
Original post by Sluice
What song is that

Just an illusion by Imagination. I am big fan of music not made in the 21st century. In other words, I love songs from people like Earth, wind and fire, aerosmith, Kool and the gang, Tupac and many more
Original post by Sluice
No. No one I know does. I've never told anyone except for a doctor about 2 months ago.

If your university does offer it, try get counseling from there. If you do feel comfortable enough talking about your depression with a professional.
Reply 95
Original post by Ekemini
Just an illusion by Imagination. I am big fan of music not made in the 21st century. In other words, I love songs from people like Earth, wind and fire, aerosmith, Kool and the gang, Tupac and many more

Same :smile:
Reply 96
If your university does offer it, try get counseling from there. If you do feel comfortable enough talking about your depression with a professional.

I'm already seeing someone outside uni
Question OP were you staying friends in the hope she'd change her mind? Talking things through with her over and over can become monotonous from my perspective.
I am sure that is what one of my old friends was like with me, he liked me and made this quite clear in his body language and how he'd be fine with the distance thing whilst I dated others but made a point of being there for me when I was down to pick up the pieces.
I would say I was only interested as friends and he was like ok but underneath all that was "know I like you and always will and when the time is right we can try again".
This in time scared me off in the end because he would tell his friends he knew this girl he liked and it was me..because one of his friends was my friends unbeknown to him.
I shook him off with I can't be your friend while you see me as a girlfriend. Glad you've moved on to meet someone at university. Best of luck :smile: I wouldn't say you were a jerk but someone who perhaps didn't take the hint to move on.
Reply 98
Original post by Quiet _One86
Question OP were you staying friends in the hope she'd change her mind? Talking things through with her over and over can become monotonous from my perspective.
I am sure that is what one of my old friends was like with me, he liked me and made this quite clear in his body language and how he'd be fine with the distance thing whilst I dated others but made a point of being there for me when I was down to pick up the pieces.
I would say I was only interested as friends and he was like ok but underneath all that was "know I like you and always will and when the time is right we can try again".
This in time scared me off in the end because he would tell his friends he knew this girl he liked and it was me..because one of his friends was my friends unbeknown to him.
I shook him off with I can't be your friend while you see me as a girlfriend. Glad you've moved on to meet someone at university. Best of luck :smile: I wouldn't say you were a jerk but someone who perhaps didn't take the hint to move on.

In the end we've kind of patched it up. I was just in a dark mood.
Original post by Sluice
In the end we've kind of patched it up. I was just in a dark mood.

I'm glad. Nothing worse than loosing a friend when things can be patched up through a good talk and be moved on from. It's all about trust and honesty!
Best of luck all the same :smile:
For me it's all about thinking of the friendship or relationship is worth saving in any capacity has to come from both parties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending