Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m about to (try) start an Access to HE course in Law & Criminology, I wrestled for a long time on whether to do that or general social sciences HE course, but Criminology was my end decision, anyway, I’m petrified I won’t even get on the course since I barely got a C in mathematics at GCSE and it’s been a long time since I’ve done it. Due to health reasons and stuff, I didn’t do very well in college at all and have been out of education, it took a long time but I’m finally in a mentally and physically better place.

Now, I’ve always had the capacity to do well, and I plan on fully throwing myself into this course and exceeding any limitation I can, provided I get on it. I feel awful, presumptuous and really damn silly, but there’s a lot of people around me who don’t think I have the perseverance or intelligence to do this due to my rocky former health/living situation, I intend to prove them wrong, but I was wondering which universities accept Access to HE courses that do Criminology?

There’s a few places in mind that I want to try applying for, the reason I’m thinking about it so soon before I even am set to do the interview for my course and even get on it is because regardless, my plan is to do a HE course, when and where is just dependent if I manage to get on the one I’ve currently applied for, and it seems promising. Regardless, it’s an intensive one year course and I believe you apply for universities during it (correct me if I’m wrong) so I want to have a good idea of places to try.

Now, before anyone laughs at me, I believe Cambridge and Oxford do Criminology, and part of me wants to shoot for those places along with the others I had in mind. The expectations and demands are stupidly high, I know, but I know I can do it if I seriously exceed all my limits, but is it even possible with just an Access to HE course and good GCSEs? I feel stupid for even asking to be honest, so I thought I’d bring it up here first…Can you even apply to places like Oxford and Cambridge with HE course diplomas?

I know I’m jumping the gun but it helps to know where your aiming before you take the plunge, I know that after wasting so much time back in college…

ReputationRep:
    I know of mature students who achieved a place at Cambridge with poor GCSEs and an Access course. I've heard about it happening much less at Oxford than Cambridge.

Pretty much every university that offers criminology accepts the Access course. People on my course already have offers for criminology from Manchester, Manchester Met and other ex-polys all over the country.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.