The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
Why would we play Monreal at CB over Mert? I know lots of people hate Mert but tbf Monreal was pretty terrible at CB most games (and that's coming from arguably the most vocal supporter of Monreal on this forum). Sure, it did the job of toughening him up, but he's been playing brilliant at LB and definitely isn't a CB.

Also don't see why Ozil would be dropped, he's been playing much better than Cazorla the last 4 or 5 games, a midfield three of Coq Rambo and Ozil has balance and attacking intent, which I like with a Sanchez Walcott Giroud/Welbeck front 3.

Agreed. Seconded. Yes and yes brother. Monreal wasn't 'terrible' at CB but is deffo suited best at LB.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Ford
Have a feeling Wenger might surprise us with very astute signings this summer. Lacazette would be one. Thing is, when you start collecting top class players like this they tend to raise each other up a level.

This team we are building are a team that is so much better than we had a few seasons back with Fabregassed, Nasri and RVP. In the sense we can both play defensive possession and break at amazing pace. It is a lot more flexible.

We are so close to being truly competitive. Mentally we are getting stronger too. I see real winners in this team unlike that era, we just need a rock solid CDM and CB vitally.

Agreed, if we do push for a few world-class signings we will be competitive in each area of the pitch. I really cannot stand them *****'s, make me irate asf. Wish we kept Sagna tho.
Monreal currently looks a steal at £8m, which is astounding cos I wanted him flogged as recently as 6 months ago
Original post by Zürich
Monreal currently looks a steal at £8m, which is astounding cos I wanted him flogged as recently as 6 months ago

He was solid at Malaga. Never really showed that form with us until recently, the improvement this season has been very encouraging.
Original post by Stefano93
Agreed, if we do push for a few world-class signings we will be competitive in each area of the pitch. I really cannot stand them *****'s, make me irate asf. Wish we kept Sagna tho.

It's ok brah, we have a new Prince of the Emirates.

I love how he encapsulates everything that the British tabloid press hate:
German, Muslim, seemingly low work rate (big no no in English football, they love people who seem to put in a 'good shift'), shy.

But to me, he is the Prince of our club. So much beauty to his play and I wish people could love him as a player like I love him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
You'd know all about that wouldn't you :lol:

Dont get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
As discussed: you read what you want to read.

Not really you just got your posts exposed.

Clearly you made two contradicting statements(that Chelsea increases the coefficient just a little bit despite them being the 4th highest club in UEFA's coefficients) and that Arsenal do a lot, then when I show the thing you then decide to change the goal posts, then got offended when I called you out on it and exposed your idiocy.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Have a feeling Wenger might surprise us with very astute signings this summer. Lacazette would be one. Thing is, when you start collecting top class players like this they tend to raise each other up a level.

This team we are building are a team that is so much better than we had a few seasons back with Fabregassed, Nasri and RVP. In the sense we can both play defensive possession and break at amazing pace. It is a lot more flexible.

We are so close to being truly competitive. Mentally we are getting stronger too. I see real winners in this team unlike that era, we just need a rock solid CDM and CB vitally.

yeah......but do you have a Joe Allen?
exactly. :cool:

but yes i agree in a sense; you're only 2 or 3 quality signings away from a scary team.
however i would argue that you have been like this for several years now - what makes you think wenger will suddenly bring in exactly what you need and at the same time not sell anybody you really need?

i think one thing your team has over united for instance is a great sense of chemistry already there.
however your game to game consistency really needs to match this.
i don't mean it in the sense of getting results because you've been decent at grinding out games this season; i mean it more in a general sense of performance.
bring in a few players that can add to your chemistry and make you more reliable as a team could finally have you challenging for the title.
my mate just got presented an award by henry, damn what is life. guy won young achiever of the year, wouldn't even care if it was a plastic 5 a side medal, would go mental if henry gave me it.
Original post by jam277
Not really you just got your posts exposed.

Clearly you made two contradicting statements(that Chelsea increases the coefficient just a little bit despite them being the 4th highest club in UEFA's coefficients) and that Arsenal do a lot, then when I show the thing you then decide to change the goal posts, then got offended when I called you out on it and exposed your idiocy.

Literally didn't say that. So, as previously alluded to, you inference what you want to inference to fit your narrative.
(edited 9 years ago)
Stop de-railing the ****ing thread Mackay.
Do you man want Podolski sold end of season? I just want him to get more game time at Arsenal, he's having a *****y time at Internazionale :frown:.
Original post by Stefano93
Do you man want Podolski sold end of season? I just want him to get more game time at Arsenal, he's having a *****y time at Internazionale :frown:.

I like the guy and would prefer to keep him as he's a decent option. What it comes down to really is whether he's happy being used as just a flat track bully (ie rotation option) and as a goal threat to bring on in the last 15 mins when desperate.

He's a quality finisher, but doesn't offer enough apart from that to deserve a starting spot
Original post by Mackay
Literally didn't say that. So, as previously alluded to, you inference what you want to inference to fit your narrative.

Of course you did. Your comment on arsenal being the only team that helps the coefficients when they barely are above united despite united not being in the cl this year.

But yes arsenal are the only club. shed end had it right.
Reply 4135
Original post by Lúcio
yeah......but do you have a Joe Allen?
exactly. :cool:

but yes i agree in a sense; you're only 2 or 3 quality signings away from a scary team.
however i would argue that you have been like this for several years now - what makes you think wenger will suddenly bring in exactly what you need and at the same time not sell anybody you really need?

i think one thing your team has over united for instance is a great sense of chemistry already there.
however your game to game consistency really needs to match this.
i don't mean it in the sense of getting results because you've been decent at grinding out games this season; i mean it more in a general sense of performance.
bring in a few players that can add to your chemistry and make you more reliable as a team could finally have you challenging for the title.

Quite simple actually - finances.

If you look at the Hleb, Fabregas, Flamini, Rocisky era in 2008ish we weren't spending anything at all. We were developing players and I'm sure Wenger was reluctant to spend a lot of money on a player who was on the same level as a top, in form Hleb and Fabregas. Gaps were left in the team and we became a 'nearly team". So what happened? The team came close, lost out and eventually broke down.

Then Wenger develops another team, the Nasri, Fabregas, RVP team and again they come close and lose out. Eventually they break apart.

Recently Wenger has bought a marquee signing a season, and hasn't really let anybody significant leave (other than Sagna). This hasn't happened in the years you speak of, back then we were buying talent and developing it. So the way things are going we may actually see the right signings in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4136
Tbh I think Podolski has realised he probably won't be used as a first option striker wherever he is so he would be happy to play as squad rotation player. I read the other day that Podolski made sure that when contract terms were agreed on his loan deal there would be no buying option. He maitains that he would like to return to Arsenal.

Would happily keep him as a super sub or as a squad rotation player. Still reckon he has one of the best left foots in the league and often when he's bought on to be lethal he delivers, Anderlecht and the game at Upton Park last season spring to mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4137

Yeah I read this last night.

I don't think we'll lose a champions league spot because Italy have ups and downs too. For it to happen they'll have to be consistently amazing and us to be consistently poor.

Doesn't take anything away from the fact that we desperately need to improve in Europe though. This season as a whole has been poor for most teams in the PL - even domestically (except Chelsea). We really need to pick up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SA-1
Yeah I read this last night.

I don't think we'll lose a champions league spot because Italy have ups and downs too. For it to happen they'll have to be consistently amazing and us to be consistently poor.

Doesn't take anything away from the fact that we desperately need to improve in Europe though. This season as a whole has been poor for most teams in the PL - even domestically (excrpt Chelsea). We really need to pick up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're winning CL, quote me. .....I'm joking... -_-

Yeah Germany are really hot on our heels so I reckon we will fall down to third soon, it will be absolutely peak if one of Bayern or Dortmund win the whole thing this year.

I have no words for Manchester City, quite an odd bunch.
I dont support the PL I only support Arsenal. The PL is very unlikely to lose a CL place to Italy as their league is pretty much broke and is in decline.

Latest