The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
yeah......but do you have a Joe Allen?
exactly. :cool:

but yes i agree in a sense; you're only 2 or 3 quality signings away from a scary team.
however i would argue that you have been like this for several years now - what makes you think wenger will suddenly bring in exactly what you need and at the same time not sell anybody you really need?

i think one thing your team has over united for instance is a great sense of chemistry already there.
however your game to game consistency really needs to match this.
i don't mean it in the sense of getting results because you've been decent at grinding out games this season; i mean it more in a general sense of performance.
bring in a few players that can add to your chemistry and make you more reliable as a team could finally have you challenging for the title.

Simples, whilst I cannot guarantee he will bring in the right people:

I think we need to be more imposing in the centre of midfield to dominate the midfield with drive and physicality. It need not even mean a CDM, because an imposing CM can play (in Yaya Toure mould) and Coquelin/Schneiderlin (essential buy) can play behind him. In the past we had Edu and Gilberto to rotate with Paddy. Trouble is, we need to find a Paddy, who was much more than just a "CDM".

I am of the opinion that a great defensive 4 is the most important thing for a defence and not the often cited defensive midfielder. If we get a top CB we need not worry much about an overly defensive midfielder. I think Wenger is more the sort of guy that would think this way also. Obviously he needs to have decent defensive ability but it is not the most important thing. The ability to impose oneself in a game is more important, set the tempo and drive.

For example, Paddy was not overly defensive, Gilberto did that dirty work (Edu too really) more often in behind.

And please, everyone, let us remember that last season we were complaining that Spurs had spent big with AVB. Let's now spare a moment for our friends from that side of town. Money is not always the answer. Wenger knows...

(no idea why i posted this gif, i just like it)
Original post by al_94
I dont support the PL I only support Arsenal. The PL is very unlikely to lose a CL place to Italy as their league is pretty much broke and is in decline.

LP post has it spot on.

It's more than a possibility but I agree with you that it won't happen.
Original post by al_94
I dont support the PL I only support Arsenal. The PL is very unlikely to lose a CL place to Italy as their league is pretty much broke and is in decline.
Can't you see how those two things are connected though? While the rest of the PL may not be relevant to Arsenal within the league, the quality of the PL the coefficients and such are greatly related to Arsenal as a whole because you aren't just competing against PL sides in European competition. How many teams from weak leagues win the CL?
When you see the piss poor performances we put in every year in the CL, it's hard to argue that we deserve four spots.
Original post by Fizzel
Can't you see how those two things are connected though? While the rest of the PL may not be relevant to Arsenal within the league, the quality of the PL the coefficients and such are greatly related to Arsenal as a whole because you aren't just competing against PL sides in European competition. How many teams from weak leagues win the CL?

True, but I think that the way people turn it out as though it's largely Arsenal's fault that we might lose the 4th CL spot is a joke.

This year we have contributed the second most points to the country's coefficient and have done by reaching the R16 each year. It's **** teams like Hull going out in prelim rounds for the Europa League that's hurting our coefficient.
Having looked up how the coefficient is found, it's the sum of the last 5 years coefficients, each years coefficient is the sum of each teams coefficient divided by the number of teams. To put this year into perspective, Arsenal have contributed 19 points, Hull have contributed 2.5 (significantly lowering our coefficient).

The issue is more to do with EL teams not giving a **** and going out in R32 only to lower our coefficient furhter :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(In short, it's Liverpool, Spurs and Hull's fault)
Original post by leinad2012
True, but I think that the way people turn it out as though it's largely Arsenal's fault that we might lose the 4th CL spot is a joke.

This year we have contributed the second most points to the country's coefficient and have done by reaching the R16 each year. It's **** teams like Hull going out in prelim rounds for the Europa League that's hurting our coefficient.
Having looked up how the coefficient is found, it's the sum of the last 5 years coefficients, each years coefficient is the sum of each teams coefficient divided by the number of teams. To put this year into perspective, Arsenal have contributed 19 points, Hull have contributed 2.5 (significantly lowering our coefficient).

The issue is more to do with EL teams not giving a **** and going out in R32 only to lower our coefficient furhter :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(In short, it's Liverpool, Spurs and Hull's fault)

I do wish the country took europa more serriously - and when clubs do, like everton this year.. it makes thursday nights great.. and gives me soemthing else to route for.

But then you get articles like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31470797

and I kind of understand why teams dont like it
Original post by fallen_acorns
I do wish the country took europa more serriously - and when clubs do, like everton this year.. it makes thursday nights great.. and gives me soemthing else to route for.

But then you get articles like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31470797

and I kind of understand why teams dont like it

I completely understand why teams don't take it seriously, playing Thursday and Sunday/Monday evening must be horrid for players in comparison to Saturday Tuesday/Wednesday.

Still, whilst it's nice to see an underdog go on a run in a cup and get EL qualificaiton (like Hull), all it really does is **** over our coefficient
Still, whilst it's nice to see an underdog go on a run in a cup and get EL qualificaiton (like Hull), all it really does is **** over our coefficient
The fair play place is rubbish. What does it have to do with the quality of the team, and how many team are actually incentivised to base an entire season around it?
Original post by Fizzel
The fair play place is rubbish. What does it have to do with the quality of the team, and how many team are actually incentivised to base an entire season around it?

True, it's just a bs ploy, but I guess is a reward to a club for playing "fairly". Hull got in as FA Cup runners up though, nice for them but it is going to cost us the 4th spot sooner or later. Add in the fact our group stage draws are disgusting (Liverpool vs. CL holders, Arsenal vs. Dortmund and last year the most disgusting draw possible, City vs. Bayern Ajax etc.) and it's not surprising our teams struggle to get out in 1st and then fail to progress past R16. I'm not saying it's a good excuse, our top teams should be on par with the top Spanish teams (well maybe not considering their TV rights are complete bs), but constantly getting drawn the top 2 German teams for what, 3 years running, in the GS is a pisstake.

Feel like Walcott should start tomorrow, worrying signs on the contract side, Vengs suggesting he's digging his feet in trying to stall. He really deserves a spot over Welbeck imo, Welbs goal on Monday papered over another bog standard performance, full of effort but not much else.

Coq
Cazorla/Rosicky Ozil
Walcott Giroud Sanchez.

Niiiiiccceeeee :biggrin:

Plus we can get away with 2 CAM's against West ham imo
glad we are playing before all our rivals this weekend..

Always feels nice.

If we win, i get a nice relaxing few days of watching the other taems play, knowing that worse case scenario, we are still ok.

If we loose, well then it feels like there is still a chance at things being ok, if another team screws up.
Monaco just won a home game 3-0. Arsenal's task just got harder
Original post by shawn_o1
Monaco just won a home game 3-0. Arsenal's task just got harder

Arsenal will beat west ham 4-0 to show them who is boss

Posted from TSR Mobile
A rat is something completely unacceptable. The thought that he even walks around us is disgusting.

We have an an infestation.....he's called Mourinho
Let's be honest, if Arsene Wenger ran the country there would be no problems. Such a great man. In terms of economy, racism, personal, fitness, education, etc etc.

Arsene Wenger.
(edited 9 years ago)
If we beat Monaco i will give my future sons the middle name "Woolwich" or "Arsene". Ngl.
True, it's just a bs ploy, but I guess is a reward to a club for playing "fairly". Hull got in as FA Cup runners up though, nice for them but it is going to cost us the 4th spot sooner or later. Add in the fact our group stage draws are disgusting (Liverpool vs. CL holders, Arsenal vs. Dortmund and last year the most disgusting draw possible, City vs. Bayern Ajax etc.) and it's not surprising our teams struggle to get out in 1st and then fail to progress past R16. I'm not saying it's a good excuse, our top teams should be on par with the top Spanish teams (well maybe not considering their TV rights are complete bs), but constantly getting drawn the top 2 German teams for what, 3 years running, in the GS is a pisstake.

Only 2 years in a row.

You got drawn Schalke 3 years ago and you managed to come 2nd in that group so you faced Bayern Munich...

Although the groups for you have been fairly tough past 2 years but before that your groups were like Chelsea's. Manchester United hands down get the easiest groups every year though.
Feel like Walcott should start tomorrow, worrying signs on the contract side, Vengs suggesting he's digging his feet in trying to stall. He really deserves a spot over Welbeck imo, Welbs goal on Monday papered over another bog standard performance, full of effort but not much else.

Coq
Cazorla/Rosicky Ozil
Walcott Giroud Sanchez.

Niiiiiccceeeee :biggrin:

Plus we can get away with 2 CAM's against West ham imo

I'd disagree that you'd get away with 2 CAMs, Maybe a Cazorla Rosicky combo in front of Coquelin but I'd look to put in Ramsey.

No to Chamberlain though.
Reply 4156
The game today is not going to be broadcasted isn't it? (On UK channels)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
The game today is not going to be broadcasted isn't it? (On UK channels)

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

We're the only 'top' team playing at 3 today. Had a dream West Ham thumped us 4-1 wtf.

Also guys...every time I want to be stubborn and stay mad at Wenger I can't help it. I guess I love the man too much :h:
Original post by Zürich
Let's be honest, if Arsene Wenger ran the country there would be no problems. Such a great man. In terms of economy, racism, personal, fitness, education, etc etc.

Arsene Wenger.

Yeah he's a great man but I still want him out
Original post by al_94
Yeah he's a great man but I still want him out

yea but you're also the kind of guy who would shout ''run'' at Verdun whereas Wenger will shout ''stand your ground''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

Wenger will see it out. Proper men like him always do.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest