The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
I disagree entirely. On the surface 2nd seems like a good season but once you've taken into account the gap to first (no title challenge) and the deficiencies of teams around (City and United) then there's really no difference from finishing 4th. The usual has happened; a title challenge non-existence and a madness at the back end of the season to secure dat CL place.

At some point certain players not turning up has to be attributed to the manager. Why is Giroud the main striker? Why didn't Ramsey start? Why didn't Wenger bawl at his players not to bomb forward at 2-1 at the Emirates? It's not just bad fortune or individual naivety, it's a deep rooted flaw within the mentality of the squad, too soft and weak.

Have you been waiting for any chance to take out your frustration after we nailed you in the ass at your place?
People are so bloody kneejerk, expecting the unprecedented tonight. You can they expected it (us to win the tie) because of the way they react.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Have you been waiting for any chance to take out your frustration after we nailed you in the ass at your place?

No bitterness attached to that game, we were throughly outplayed. We're too ****ing soft as well, but as soon as you come up against a team who's willing to show some heart and desire and dig in physically you fold. It's been a problem for years and through multiple different teams you've had, so the common denominator is..... Wenger.
No bitterness attached to that game, we were throughly outplayed. We're too ****ing soft as well, but as soon as you come up against a team who's willing to show some heart and desire and dig in physically you fold. It's been a problem for years and through multiple different teams you've had, so the common denominator is..... Wenger.

So... Chelsea.

Spoiler

People are so bloody kneejerk, expecting the unprecedented tonight. You can they expected it (us to win the tie) because of the way they react.

Kneejerk as in calling all Chelsea fans scum and racists?
Original post by The Shed End
Kneejerk as in calling all Chelsea fans scum and racists?

Read my posts, I always diss Chelsea.
I disagree entirely. On the surface 2nd seems like a good season but once you've taken into account the gap to first (no title challenge) and the deficiencies of teams around (City and United) then there's really no difference from finishing 4th. The usual has happened; a title challenge non-existence and a madness at the back end of the season to secure dat CL place.

At some point certain players not turning up has to be attributed to the manager. Why is Giroud the main striker? Why didn't Ramsey start? Why didn't Wenger bawl at his players not to bomb forward at 2-1 at the Emirates? It's not just bad fortune or individual naivety, it's a deep rooted flaw within the mentality of the squad, too soft and weak.

agree 100%. You're not deluded like some

And if we had a title challenge and finished second people would still be saying we are lacking this , that and the other. There is no winning unless we win the league. But, we have to put ourselves in the position where we are the ones putting Chelsea under pressure.
Original post by anastas
After Ramsay's goal i went crazy, honestly thought Arsenal could win! It kinda broke my heart they didn't, they tried a lot though. Good to see Giroud trying to be better than the previous game. Love this team anyway :yep:

I agree :yep: always happens with Arsenal matches. Last few minutes or so was an absolute health scare!

Original post by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
agree 100%. You're not deluded like some

Lol there's a difference between delusion and unnecessary, repetitive pessimism.
Yes, it is called being a proper fan of football. We will win the Premier League again and it will be amazing when we do. It will mean so much more than an empty sheikh oil sponsored win. People like you are just spoilt and think that a new manager would fix everything and get us winning, grass is greener etc. Who is guaranteed to win us the title and CL? With the exception of Pep I would laugh at all suggestions. Even Ancelotti proved at Chelsea he is fallible and they had a virtually unlimited transfer budget at the time.

I am happy with the possibility we will have successive FA Cup wins and getting very close to 1st this season. It would represent progress. It does not just happen in one or two seasons.

I don't get bored because I love my club and will be with them through the good and bad. I trust them to get it right gradually and have seen the signs that they will. And I trust Wenger, I trust him to leave this club in the best possible hands.

My oh my, where do I even begin.

The sheer audacity for you to insinuate I’m not a proper fan is hilarious. Because you will blindly follow Wenger up the River Seine that means you are a proper fan? Spare me all that rubbish, you are naïve.
We lost to Monaco, and you can spin it anyway you want, but the reality is, it’s not good enough.

When did I ever mention the ownership of the club? I didn’t say we need to go down the Chelsea/City route, we have the cash, but today isn’t about spending or not spending and who doesn’t or doesn’t own the club. People like me are realistic, not spoilt. I don’t live with my head in the clouds and think that everything will be okay because the Great Arsene Wenger will fix it all like you do. Realistically we should be beating a Monaco team who haven’t been in the CL for near enough 10 years and not pulling up any trees in their league. Not to mention the calibre of players we have. I’m not spoilt to suggest that am I?

No one is but usually with these competitions, you have teams that are the frontrunners, we rarely are. Where did I ever say a new manager would come in, and simply click his fingers and we’d win the Quadruple? I’ll wait. :rolleyes: You need to get this idea out of your head that I want instant success. I don’t. I just want us to compete, which we don’t. We were out of the league picture before a ball was kicked, and will continue to be light years away from winning in Europe. You genuinely believe Wenger is the best man for the job? Guess what? So do I! But only because no one is available at the moment!!! I didn’t say he should be sacked tomorrow morning like you seem to be suggesting.

I never said I wasn’t happy with the possibility of winning the cup again, I just stated that is shouldn’t be the limited of our ambition. This attitude of “we nearly did it” somewhat supports that, nothing good can come from us revelling in another glorious failure. We finished 7 points off the title last season, I don’t think we will get that close, so a bigger points difference between us and the winners plus the cup isn’t progress, if anything, its regression. Progress would have been beating a team we were well capable of doing and reaching the Quarter Finals plus what I previously mentioned.

I get bored of the constant failing. The predictability of it all, season in, season out. Groundhog season. I also love my club but I can see what the issue is. I have been with them through the good and bad and will continue to do so. I don’t trust them to get it right because we have had many occasions to do so and so far, we haven’t. I don’t trust Wenger, but I do trust him to leave the club in a healthy position because we are already in one.

Tbh I pin a lot of the blame on (Lady) Bracewell-Smith, I remember back when she was selling her 15%+ stake to Kroenke in 2011 that it was just a badddd idea and totally wrong to sell it to that guy. Kroenke is a parasite. (But hey, at least he is not on the Glazer level of being unbearable)

But I thought you said you don’t want Arsenal to become another Chelsea/City, had she sold to Usmanov, we would have become that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Read my posts, I always diss Chelsea.

The club, inappropriate to stereotype all our fans as scum. No need to say that because you can't take a bit of banter on an internet forum.
Original post by Peggles_*
My oh my, where do I even begin.

The sheer audacity for you to insinuate I’m not a proper fan is hilarious. Because you will blindly follow Wenger up the River Seine that means you are a proper fan? Spare me all that rubbish, you are naïve.
We lost to Monaco, and you can spin it anyway you want, but the reality is, it’s not good enough.

When did I ever mention the ownership of the club? I didn’t say we need to go down the Chelsea/City route, we have the cash, but today isn’t about spending or not spending and who doesn’t or doesn’t own the club. People like me are realistic, not spoilt. I don’t live with my head in the clouds and think that everything will be okay because the Great Arsene Wenger will fix it all like you do. Realistically we should be beating a Monaco team who haven’t been in the CL for near enough 10 years and not pulling up any trees in their league. Not to mention the calibre of players we have. I’m not spoilt to suggest that am I?

No one is but usually with these competitions, you have teams that are the frontrunners, we rarely are. Where did I ever say a new manager would come in, and simply click his fingers and we’d win the Quadruple? I’ll wait. :rolleyes: You need to get this idea out of your head that I want instant success. I don’t. I just want us to compete, which we don’t. We were out of the league picture before a ball was kicked, and will continue to be light years away from winning in Europe. You genuinely believe Wenger is the best man for the job? Guess what? So do I! But only because no one is available at the moment!!! I didn’t say he should be sacked tomorrow morning like you seem to be suggesting.

I never said I wasn’t happy with the possibility of winning the cup again, I just stated that is shouldn’t be the limited of our ambition. This attitude of “we nearly did it” somewhat supports that, nothing good can come from us revelling in another glorious failure. We finished 7 points off the title last season, I don’t think we will get that close, so a bigger points difference between us and the winners plus the cup isn’t progress, if anything, its regression. Progress would have been beating a team we were well capable of doing and reaching the Quarter Finals plus what I previously mentioned.

I get bored of the constant failing. The predictability of it all, season in, season out. Groundhog season. I also love my club but I can see what the issue is. I have been with them through the good and will continue to do so. I don’t trust them to get it right because we have had many occasions to do so and so far, we haven’t. I don’t trust Wenger, but I do trust him to leave the club in a healthy position because we are already in one.

But I thought you said you don’t want Arsenal to become another Chelsea/City, had she sold to Usmanov, we would have become that.

Did I say she had to sell to Usmanov?

Anyway I am off tonight, but yeah, will not be posting in the football threads for a while, only on the misc thread. Too much full potato from occassional posters on here. You all seem to crawl out of the woodwork when we lose ('fans' and WUMs alike).
Original post by Arkasia
You don't want us to do more, you expect us to do more, and that's the problem. Even in our unbeatables season, we lost games to teams well below us quality-wise. It happens. I don't get 'bored' because I realize I am lucky to support such a good team in the first place, many other teams don't even get the opportunities we do, and whilst I am disappointed, we are lucky enough to support a team who invariably gets another chance the next year.

Maybe I do expect us to do more, because I'm ambition and believe in potential of the team. No one can sit here and say we shouldn't have beaten that Monaco team over two legs, that was my main point.
Did I say she had to sell to Usmanov?

Anyway I am off tonight, but yeah, will not be posting in the football threads for a while, only on the misc thread. Too much full potato from occassional posters on here. You all seem to crawl out of the woodwork when we lose ('fans' and WUMs alike).

No but that was pretty much the only option she had.

Pretty sure I've been here when we win, and I have a job so can't be posting on here like the rest of you 15 year olds all hours of the day.

Very convenient for you to be going and just ignore what I said though? Guess you were expecting it all to be doom and gloom and in reality, was the truth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I agree :yep: always happens with Arsenal matches. Last few minutes or so was an absolute health scare!

They were soooo close :frown: They do deserve congratulations though, it was a decent match and they did try a lot, especially after Ramsay's goal. Next year we will kick ass :yep:
That's the exciting thing about football, everything can change so quickly and til the last minute you're crazyyy :biggrin:

Thank you.

This is exactly what I said, but now have AKBs all in their feelings about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Lol there's a difference between delusion and unnecessary, repetitive pessimism.

Prod, you're better than that. Just quote/@ me, rather than being shady about things.

It's repetitive because it keeps on happening, until something changes on the pitch, the rhetoric won't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anastas
They were soooo close :frown: They do deserve congratulations though, it was a decent match and they did try a lot, especially after Ramsay's goal. Next year we will kick ass :yep:
That's the exciting thing about football, everything can change so quickly and til the last minute you're crazyyy :biggrin:

Too close for words. So how long have you been watching Arsenal then? :smile:
Tbh i'm just happy we didn't get knocked out the same way Chelsea did.
Can't wait for the BVB v Juventus game tomorrow :biggrin:

Latest