The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
Haha, touché :wink:

He'll be leaving us in a matter of years anyway - would be great if we could keep him but we know we'll lose him soon.
We just want to up his value as much as possible.

Somebody with a £50m bid is exactly what we want.

Tbh I don't know whether his attitude would fit in at Arsenal. He seems like a real self-entitled, lazy, arrogant little prick. Don't think Arsene would allow a player to take a mid-season break, especially a fresh faced 19 year old.

Doesn't he have like 3 kids with 3 different mothers or something?
Original post by Mackay
Walcott set to start for England tonight.

I hear he's set to partner Harry Kane in strike with Rooney behind them in a diamond.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also has anyone realised we don't realt have a playmaker in the England team ? I mean we have players who can run at defences like sterling, ox, wilshere etc but no one like a cesc or ozil or silva of the team. I guess maybe wilshere is the closest or Rooney and then we did have someone like Scholes who could pick a pass and Gerrard to an extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leinad2012
Tbh I don't know whether his attitude would fit in at Arsenal. He seems like a real self-entitled, lazy, arrogant little prick. Don't think Arsene would allow a player to take a mid-season break, especially a fresh faced 19 year old.

Tbf to Sterling, he carried Liverpool for half a season and played almost all the games with barely any rest, it would have been farcical for Rodgers to not give him a mid season break otherwise his legs would have broken down. It's not like Sterling asked for it, Rodgers practically ordered him to take a break for the good of him and the team.

Sterling only has one daughter. The 3 kids from 3 different mothers was just a rumor spread on the internet. If Jack Wilshere can fit into Arsenal, I'm sure Sterling would do just fine :tongue:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Numan786
I hear he's set to partner Harry Kane in strike with Rooney behind them in a diamond.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, pretty nailed on given Hodgson's pre-match comments.
Original post by samir12
Tbf to Sterling, he carried Liverpool for half a season and played almost all the games with barely any rest, it would have been farcical for Rodgers to not give him a mid season break otherwise his legs would have broken down.

Sterling only has one daughter. The 3 kids from 3 different mothers was just a rumor spread on the internet. If Jack Wilshere can fit into Arsenal, I'm sure Sterling would do just fine :tongue:.

Haha that is true, but he seems to think he should get preferential treatment, it's not necessarily a bad thing knowing your limits but I can't really see where he'd fit our current system.

Ahh that explains it, I thought it sounded a bit odd at the time but never bothered to check whether it was true or not. God people on here really do hate Wilshere, he's got that chavy dickhead vibe but when he's on form he's a great player to watch :biggrin:

don't underestimate him though.
he hasn't been amazing recently but as samir said, when he's in a good run of form he can absolutely carry teams at times.

he's a 20 year old footballer playing as a key man for one of the biggest teams in england - you can expect him to be a little arrogant and self-entitled.
he has no ties to liverpool and he just wants to do what's best for his career.
moving to a massive team like madrid would be stupid, but arsenal could offer him game time and they could offer him a higher level of football right now.
Original post by Lúcio
don't underestimate him though.
he hasn't been amazing recently but as samir said, when he's in a good run of form he can absolutely carry teams at times.

he's a 20 year old footballer playing as a key man for one of the biggest teams in england - you can expect him to be a little arrogant and self-entitled.
he has no ties to liverpool and he just wants to do what's best for his career.
moving to a massive team like madrid would be stupid, but arsenal could offer him game time and they could offer him a higher level of football right now.

True, but Liverpool selling to us now would effectively be them saying that they don't care about challenging for the cl spaces for the next few years until City start to get hit with the new regulations
Stirling for 50m would worry me so much.. but also excite me.

I mean, a player at his age, who is that good? that would be amazing to have...

But its so so much money for someone who for all we know, could entirely fail to adapt to swapping to a different club..
lmao would not want sterling with his 150k demands; alexis and ozil are only 140k pw.
True, but Liverpool selling to us now would effectively be them saying that they don't care about challenging for the cl spaces for the next few years until City start to get hit with the new regulations

not really, it would say that for 50m you can have a 20 year old that wants stupendous wages.

personally i don't trust our transfer team in spending any money we get from selling our best players, so i'd rather keep them.
however if we do sell, all i can do is hope that we don't overspend so much.

markovic, lallana and lovren cost £65m.
i'm not saying all 3 are terrible players, but that's a lot of money to spend on players that don't really improve us all that much.
obviously they do help with squad depth, but i really did expect more from the money we spent in the summer.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Stirling for 50m would worry me so much.. but also excite me.

I mean, a player at his age, who is that good? that would be amazing to have...

But its so so much money for someone who for all we know, could entirely fail to adapt to swapping to a different club..

that's exactly the issue that anybody who owns him will have.

as somebody mentioned in the LFC thread, he is more or less the best 20 year old in the world.
that being said, he isn't a 150k player right now and for 50m you're buying his future in the hope he continues development in to a world class player.

that's a big gamble for a team like arsenal to make - if it payed off it would be huge though.
In general they're pretty similar, but right now based on form I'd say Monreal. But I've supported the guy for a long time even when others have said he's **** so I'm probably a bit biased.

I know what you mean, thats like me. At times when I was at the Emirates I was probably the only guy in my area who cheered his name haha.
Original post by Lúcio
£50m?
Take him.

£50m?

No thanks, maybe £40m if you're lucky.

Also has anyone realised we don't realt have a playmaker in the England team ? I mean we have players who can run at defences like sterling, ox, wilshere etc but no one like a cesc or ozil or silva of the team. I guess maybe wilshere is the closest or Rooney and then we did have someone like Scholes who could pick a pass and Gerrard to an extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To an extent, that's the role Carrick has, and I think Liverpool are trying to mold Henderson into the Gerrard type, although a bit leggier. Wilshere can also play that when necessary, but I agree, we don't have an incredibly creative player through whom every pass goes. Ozil/Kroos for Germany, Pirlo/De Rossi for Italy, basically everyone for Spain.
Original post by swirly
lmao would not want sterling with his 150k demands; alexis and ozil are only 140k pw.

He'd probably ask for less due to the step up
Original post by SA-1
Wilshere, Debuchy, Arteta and man like Diaby all played against a Brentford XI at Arsenal's training ground. I think the Liverpool game will be too soon though but it's nice to have them back (Obviously Diaby will not play).

Haven't heard anything about Ramsey and Welbeck though, I honestly doubt they're injured. Probably just pulling out of the international games.

Diaby actually played :shock: Arteta's injury was a blessing in disguise but good to see him back.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wilshere is the best playmaker he done well for England in that role at the beginning of the season. He won 4 MOTM in a row.
Original post by difeo
He'd probably ask for less due to the step up

liverpool to arsenal isn't really a step up, and if it is, its a very nominal one.

its like Gerrard said to Suarez, dont leave to go to Arsenal, they're the same as us, if you leave go to real big club.
Original post by swirly
liverpool to arsenal isn't really a step up, and if it is, its a very nominal one.

its like Gerrard said to Suarez, dont leave to go to Arsenal, they're the same as us, if you leave go to real big club.

Getting to play CL football for the foreseeable future can easily take a bit off the wage demands
Original post by swirly

yes it is.
arsenal can offer consistent CL football, along with the (very) occasional trophy :smile:

liverpool cannot offer any consistency right now and haven't won a trophy in several years.

Original post by difeo
Getting to play CL football for the foreseeable future can easily take a bit off the wage demands

i agree - arsenal could give him game time and they could give it at the highest level.
i'd definitely take a slightly lower wage if it meant i could play in the CL on a regular basis.

Latest