The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not to mention, we haven't finished third yet, and we haven't retained the FA cup yet either.
Progress is beating Mourinho's Chelsea. What's Wenger's record? 12 games 7 losses which included a 6-0. Absolutely shocking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6422
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Urgh. I see grumpy granddad's out. :tongue:

There is progress. Not massive progress but progress by definition. Next season if we're having a good FA cup run and look certain to be finishing 3rd/4th, you cannot call that progress. It can be said that unanimously we'd all like to be challenging for the title. Not just sitting at the top of the table for a few odd weeks but actually challenging. And obviously do better in Europe.

It's really not that hard to see lads.

That's not progress, that's a miracle lol.
potential 2nd/FA Cup is not good enough. we should be getting more than that. i turned wenger out when we lost at home to Man U, but to give him credit he's corrected a lot of stuff since then. still not enough, he's not as good as he was.

and people say "oh we had to build the stadium". ok, this is true, but then it's not just about money or the lack of it. it's his ****y tactics, and other stuff and even wth money it wouldn't matter.
Original post by Loat
We can just about compete with Chelsea on the wage front, but we have to demonstrate that it's us that will be winning trophies. Özil and Alexis aren't going to be happy at only having a shot at the FA cup.

Can you compete with us and City though? Your top earners are on 140k, we pay a similar amount to squad players like Nani and Young. Being in London is a huge advantage though, as we saw with Sanchez last season. Arsenal don't have any issues with FFP either, so if Wenger wanted to go out and sign 3 top class players there shouldn't be anything stopping him.

It does look like the top four is becoming a closed shop again. The best hope for Liverpool & Spurs is that City completely implode as it takes them a few years to renovate the squad (kind of like United for the past 2 seasons).
united? you're not doing that much better...so drop the ego/false arrogance lolololololoooooooooool.

I'd argue all bias aside you're doing worse.
For a club as a whole to succeed, every part of the club (owners, fans, coaches, players) must share the same desire to win. Arsenal's owner(s) don't seem to be interested in success unless it balances their books
Let's be real here I wouldn't be surprised if UTD win the title next year
Original post by miguapa
united? you're not doing that much better...so drop the ego/false arrogance lolololololoooooooooool.

I'd argue all bias aside you're doing worse.

He was clearly talking about ability to pay wages :facepalm2:
City will be gone within the next 5 years, I am sure of it. They simply don't have the revenue streams to replace their aging players without breaking ffp.

We aren't far off, but united and city have both been awful for most of the season, beating them shows questionable progress. We have to beat Chelsea and retain the FA Cup (and finish 2nd) for there to be signs of meaningful progress.

This summer will be a very important one in showing whether Arsene has seen the problems in the squad and what players he's going to bring in the change it.

I'd start by sacking the entire medical team and bringing a new one in, people complain about the players but our medical team must be complete **** for us to keep getting so many injuries
Original post by AR_95

With our resources we should have the best squad in the league next year. Depends what Chelsea do though.
Original post by sr90
With our resources we should have the best squad in the league next year. Depends what Chelsea do though.

Are you dizzy fam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2-ethylbut-1-ene
Are you dizzy fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone translate this? I only speak English.
Original post by sr90
Can someone translate this? I only speak English.

Arsenal are still a baby, youthful and inexperienced team

They still need a lot more strength and time to grow and time to gel

They are unpredictable so i think they will be 3rd next season :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95

It'll be 4 clubs battling for the title next season imo. Chelsea, Arsenal, United and City.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95

Spoiler

before the Tl;dr Chelsea have been working towards FFP the past few seasons so can realistically afford a big summer where they no longer have to sell to buy so could get the signings without sacrificing the depth(like was done the past 2 seasons)

TL;Dr: Mourinho hasn't rotated the squad since he doesn't think the options are good enough, he'll probably look to buy a winger+versatile midfielder. Arsenal just need a top quality DM for Balance and a striker for depth, United have too much rebuilding to do and extra games to really challenge for the title. City will contend with United+Liverpool for 3rd-5th spot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeh if Chelsea add 2-3 quality players as they did last season then the title is theirs.

You surely need to be looking at a CB soon though? I really like Zouma but Terry is 35 this year and Cahill isn't very good.
Reply 6437
Original post by jam277

Spoiler

TL;Dr: Mourinho hasn't rotated the squad since he doesn't think the options are good enough, he'll probably look to buy a winger+versatile midfielder. Arsenal just need a top quality DM for Balance and a striker for depth, United have too much rebuilding to do and extra games to really challenge for the title. City will contend with United+Liverpool for 3rd-5th spot.

I don't think we have that much rebuilding to do, and I think you're being extremely harsh on our defenders individually. Smalling especially has been excellent. There's also reports than Hummels is pretty much a done deal. I'd be fairly confident in Jones Smalling Rojo Hummels next year.

We need MC cover quite badly, quite probably an RB, and possibly a striker. (I think we need one, especially considering liverpools struggles this year, a lot of people on the thread think that rooney rvp wilson is enough) But if you assume Depay and Hummels are close to done, and we don't lose anybody major, we're in decent shape with 60M or more still to spend net.

Obviously the transfer window will make a major difference. If you manage to nick Pogba and he's smashing 30yard volleys in everywhere, or we net verratti/bale, the dynamics start to change a little. Schneiderlin will make a difference too - he'll be very useful to whichever squad manages to lure him.
Original post by samba
I don't think we have that much rebuilding to do, and I think you're being extremely harsh on our defenders individually. Smalling especially has been excellent. There's also reports than Hummels is pretty much a done deal. I'd be fairly confident in Jones Smalling Rojo Hummels next year.

They look better due to their keeper having an inhuman save percentage from 1 on 1 chances. Smalling I rate personally but the whole backline are inexperienced.

But yeah only one CB is needed. If Hummels or whoever leaves to united then you're sorted.
We need MC cover quite badly, quite probably an RB, and possibly a striker. (I think we need one, especially considering liverpools struggles this year, a lot of people on the thread think that rooney rvp wilson is enough) But if you assume Depay and Hummels are close to done, and we don't lose anybody major, we're in decent shape with 60M or more still to spend net.

Yeah you may need another striker since RVP is not really reliable to have as a backup even if he's fine ability wise.

I think you need more than cover in MC and you need a first team player who starts every game. We're talking 5 players needed at United. When Chelsea need about 3 at most and Arsenal need 3 at most?
Obviously the transfer window will make a major difference. If you manage to nick Pogba and he's smashing 30yard volleys in everywhere, or we net verratti/bale, the dynamics start to change a little. Schneiderlin will make a difference too - he'll be very useful to whichever squad manages to lure him.

Yeah that's the thing, but you'd expect Chelsea to get their CM man and the RW since they don't have enough depth in that area. Little problem in other areas strength and depth wise.

Way I see it is that it's likely that Chelsea will get the signings they need considering the fact they're likely to win the title this season and have the money to get realistic targets that can improve the team. United will get top 4, but the level of signings required to win the title, you can get some but the 4/5 players needed in the summer to play in the first team is important.

Furthermore, Young needs to be replaced swiftly, guys frauding it hard, got 1 goal and 1 assist in 19 appearances.
Original post by sr90
Yeh if Chelsea add 2-3 quality players as they did last season then the title is theirs.

You surely need to be looking at a CB soon though? I really like Zouma but Terry is 35 this year and Cahill isn't very good.

Ivanovic is the obvious solution and has been decent with a leader. Terry's game never relied on pace, we don't really play a high line unless it's close to risk free, players aren't gonna do a Charlie Adam vs us every game so tactically Terry is still useful and will still be useful.

Long term we'd need a CB to pair with Zouma though. I like Stones.

Latest