The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
not say its an achievement as such.. but more a step in the right dirrection.

We need to actually be able to beat mohriniho and united (our two biggest guarenteed losses each season, well and stoke away) - if we are to get anywhere.. this season we have ended our drought against united.. and ending wengers loosing streak against mohriniho, would atleast give a bit of confidence to the team if nothing else

Yeah we need to beat Mourinho/Chelsea next season for sure but this season even if we win Chelsea may not be playing to their max knowing they will win the league anyway.
Under FIFA regulations Gabriel, Ospina & Sanchez could be summoned for Copa America duty from 29 May - the day before FA Cup final.

Someone will get stabbed if this happens
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

Gab hasn't done enough to secure a place in the Brazil squad. Arsenal should be able to cope without Ospina and Sanchez
It will be interesting to see what AW does this summer in the transfer window. Its the first time in a while that the first team doesn't have any obvious gaps and any signings will either be a serious upgrade on a first team player or a squad option. Not sure what is going to happen with Sanogo, he's made 4 starts for Palace and scored one goal. Does anyone know if he's played well for them?

Also how do people rate Welbeck's season? He's been very ineffective for me, put's in a lot of effort but doesn't score enough or link up that well with the others.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

Ospina won't be playing anyway over Schez. Gabriel won't be as much of a miss if Merte is fit but Sanchez is the one to really pull us out when things turn to ****e.
Original post by amoled
It will be interesting to see what AW does this summer in the transfer window. Its the first time in a while that the first team doesn't have any obvious gaps and any signings will either be a serious upgrade on a first team player or a squad option. Not sure what is going to happen with Sanogo, he's made 4 starts for Palace and scored one goal. Does anyone know if he's played well for them?

Also how do people rate Welbeck's season? He's been very ineffective for me, put's in a lot of effort but doesn't score enough or link up that well with the others.

As always, wait till deadline day then sign a reject. Welbeck has high work rate but is detrimental to our attack.
Sanogo scored one goal [for Palace] then got injured. Luck not on his side
san one goal
Luck not on his side? He's managed to score a contract with a champions league side despite the fact he is low championship/ league 1 quality at best. Lucks been on his side his whole career ffs. **** if he was 3 inches smaller he wouldn't even be a professional footballer
Original post by AR_95
As always, wait till deadline day then sign a reject. Welbeck has high work rate but is detrimental to our attack.

Funny that. Most people said the same thing about Giroud up until the start of this season.

I have a tremendous amount of faith in Welbeck. Wenger will sort out the holes in his game, Welbeck has a good physical basis and mentality to succeed. He's literally Wenger's ideal student to coach.

To say Welbz is "detrimental" to our attack is completely incorrect. I'm sad you can't you see his value or potential for growth but that a common thing amongst Arsenal fans. Thanks God Wenger knows better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko
Funny that. Most people said the same thing about Giroud up until the start of this season.

I have a tremendous amount of faith in Welbeck. Wenger will sort out the holes in his game, Welbeck has a good physical basis and mentality to succeed. He's literally Wenger's ideal student to coach.

To say Welbz is "detrimental" to our attack is completely incorrect. I'm sad you can't you see his value or potential for growth but that a common thing amongst Arsenal fans. Thanks God Wenger knows better.

lol I wasn't being literal but anywho, you saw how our play changed as soon as Giroud came on. He's 24 not 21 so I'm not exactly holding out for him to become the next Ian Wright one day but if you're happy with Wenger spending 2 or three seasons developing Welbeck whilst he's simply not good enough at the cost of another striker who'll actually score goals then that's your preference.

It just doesn't make sense. Why should we wait so long when there are much, much better prospects out there. Welbeck is the type of signing Liverpool should make.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko

Original post by AR_95
lol I wasn't being literal but anywho, you saw how our play changed as soon as Giroud came on. He's 24 not 21 so I'm not exactly holding out for him to become the next Ian Wright one day but if you're happy with Wenger spending 2 or three seasons developing Welbeck whilst he's simply not good enough at the cost of another striker who'll actually score goals then that's your preference.

It just doesn't make sense. Why should we wait so long when there are much, much better prospects out there. Welbeck is the type of signing Liverpool should make.

Agree with AR. Don't get why Arsenal fans rave about Welbeck having huge potential and all this Wenger will develop him nonsense considering SAF tried it for years and failed. The guy has hit his peak, 15 goals a season is max he'll ever get really.
the problem with welbeck is his movement.

physically and mentally he's there (being at utd for so long has ingrained that winners mentality they undoubtedly have). questions remain on his actual finishing.

his major problem is he just doesn't know how to get into a goal scoring position. its like on FIFA. you have two types of striker:
1. the GOAT strikers, with high low work rates, and 85+ attacking position, whereby they will find the space, and its simply a matter of your midfield picking them out with good service
2. the sweaty strikers, with good pace, and poor attacking positions, and non-optimal work rates, whereby they will pick up the ball and run with it, needing to out-pace/ dribble past players to score.
I'm sure Welbeck will improve, some games on the wing will do him some good. Don't think he'll challenge Giroud consistently though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welbz is a useful player, we've needed a workhorse for a while. He'll be the wide version of Ramires for us. I can see why SAF trusted him in the big games.
danny welbeck out wide is not the same player as danny welbeck upfront, just seems to lose his head sometimes when played as a lone striker. didnt he normally play upfront with someone else at utd anyway? guess thats something to think about when judging him and I don't think it'll take him long to get used to the lone striker role, he just needs to use his body more and impose himself on players like giroud does so well. his finishing will let him down though and im not sure to what extent that will improve.
Original post by Depleted
Agree with AR. Don't get why Arsenal fans rave about Welbeck having huge potential and all this Wenger will develop him nonsense considering SAF tried it for years and failed. The guy has hit his peak, 15 goals a season is max he'll ever get really.

Major difference between SAF and Wenger is that: Wenger is a coach he enjoys being on the training ground and working with Individual players to develop their game. He personally nurtures talent on the other hand SAF let his coaches staff do the work for him. You'll wouldn't find find him leading sessions that often. Hence that personal relationship of understanding between player and manager was always greater with Wenger. No former player has ever criticized Wenger. Heck they still sing his praises even after stabbing him in the back. Thats because he was so good to his players, he took time to understand them and showed faith when other didn't. I'm not saying SAF didn't have a good understanding with some of his best players but I'm saying with Wenger it was better really.

At Arsenal Welbeck will have the benefit working with a man who understands his game and the weakness in it. I think Wenger can coach Welbeck into scoring 20+ each season tbh. Wenger has spoken about Welbeck in very high regard, like I said before he's Wenger's ideal type of player to coach. I'm positive we'll see improvement in him because of Danny own willingness to improve. The likes of Giroud, Ramsey, Walcott, Bellerin, Monreal and Gibbs all developed leaps and bounds recently, that it just shows Wenger's coaching ability is as sharp as ever.

Welbeck hasn't reached his peak yet
Welbz is a useful squad player and workhorse, does the running and harrying job he's been put on the pitch for. He'll never be a 20+ a season goal scorer though :rolleyes:
Our ability to break buses and tight compact defences is getting better by the looks of things, still not perfect as we can be slow to get the ball out of our own half which allows opposition to get back in to position faster but thats because of Coquelins limited distribution skills. He uses that to his advantage though because instead of collecting the ball from our CBs and attempting to distribute (which is what Arteta basically did), he moves out the way completely to create space for Kosc/Mert to get a ball to Cazorla who carries the ball with some mazy dribbles or 1-2s with Ozil. This works well in the most part however if they stick a man on Cazorla and block him from carrying the ball up it basically stops our whole system from working and it means Ozil has to drop deep to collect the ball and thats not where he works best. Basically Coq needs to carry on what he's doing but once the opposition clock on he needs to take more responsibility for the distribution and try the riskier pass from time to time as it will really speed up the build up play and wont allow them to get back in to shape while we're building pressure on.

Not sure what Ramsey was still doing on the wing in that Reading match though, maybe Wenger was hoping Debuchy would overlap more but there was 0 width on that side. When paired with Bellerin though it's a pretty effective tactic, Ramsey has got the required link up play and vision to jolly up that RHS with Bellerin and then make dem moves in to the box that he does so well which pulls the pressure off Bellerin so he can either cut in himself or run to the byline and take a cross. He also helps out defensively and puts pressure on CB/LB to win balls back which is also nice. Debuchy however just wasn't making those moves ahead of Ramsey which was probably down to fitness more than anything tbh, but can still see Bellerin and Ramsey working better while Walcott (if he learns how to run again and hugs the touchline more) and Debuchy being another combination, while I think Welbeck would work well with either.
I'd say you'll never, ever, win the PL title with Welbeck as your main striker. Simple as that, he's a back up striker at best, and even then for the reason just mentioned he's not good enough if you had a long term injury to your main striker.

Wenger is not going to coach him into being a top striker because he has none of the attributes of a top striker at heading towards 25. He's not great in the air, first touch is poor, general control is poor, finishing and decision making is poor for the most part. He's 25, not 18.

Ultimately United letting him go was the right decision. With Wilson coming though (goal/min suggest he as capable tbh), Welbeck wasn't filling to role of young talent anymore. He had to progress to challenging for one of the top berths, and he has never even hinted that he is capable of doing what RVP or Rooney have done, which is carry a team from the front with goals.

Latest