The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jgco2chem
The reasons why Sanchez finishing fourth is unbelievable:
-He made more assist than Hazard
-He has outscored Hazard
-He has changed Arsenal football clubs style of play (He has great influence at the club)
-His sporting attitude and work ethic is their to be matched
-He scored vital goals to keep Arsenal up including the Europe qualifier and Fa Cup semi final

The worst bit is Harry Kane gets ahead even when his efforts will not get Tottenham into top 4 let alone win them a trophy.

The Fa are giving the wrong message, "score 30 goals or dribble past 150 players to get poty" When they should reward a hard working player that has is very influential and vital player.

Nah mate Hazard has out performed Sanchez this season just deal with it. You can bring up stats all you want football is not a science. I know who I'd rather have in my side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The bitterness is real.

Sterling > Sanchez

Pls bite
Sanchez should be glad he was even nominated in the first place; what else do players like Shawcross and Fonte have to do other than move to a "big club"
Original post by Dirtybit

Mans is straight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hazard and Sanchez are different players with very different qualities. Hazard is more explosive and more of a game changer whereas Sanchez is definitely more in the grafter mould.

Personally find Sanchez's dribbling to be somewhat predictable at times. Like Robben you know exactly what he's going to try and do and it's only when executed well that they pull it off. Hence AS such plugs away racking up good results without necessarily being able to change tight games. Hazard is definitely someone who surprises and changes games and that's probably why he's POTY. Sanchez's passing is very average but obviously he's god a ridiculous workrate to compensate.

In a PL XI Sanchez and Hazard would be my wingers though really. Di Maria is 3rd.

Must be said that it's Sanchez's first season too and I think he'll be even better next season. And the bad news for Chelsea is that one day Hazard will surely play for Barca/Real so his peak years will probably not be in England.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8345
How the **** did Coutinho get in the TOTY? Can name so many players who have been better than him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because 'scoring 30 goals' is the total opposite of what POTYs should be doing...

This thread has long been the worst on FF.
They're not convinced by Harry Kane regardless of how many goals he scores :stupid:
Henry on Giroud: 'Can you win the league with him? I wouldn't think so.'
Reply 8349
Original post by Mackay
Henry on Giroud: 'Can you win the league with him? I wouldn't think so.'

He's right though, unless we can get another source of goals, I.e someone like Sanchez or another striker, we won't have enough to win the league. Giroud is, as it stands, is our best striker and only with another option available will we be able to challenge. I've never wanted us to sell Giroud, I like him, but we need another type of striker with him. It'll allow us to play another system when one doesn't work.

It's easy to figure us out with Giroud tbh, put two men on Giroud and press Arsenal high up the pitch. When we start knocking hopeful balls to Giroud, he'll bring in our midfielders. When Giroud is stopped, our midfield won't be as effective going forward.

Thing is though, we don't need a world class striker. Someone like Lacazette would fit the bill perfectly. Welbeck isn't good enough as a striker, if he was he would never ever have been sold by United. I like welbz as a squad player, with the work ethic and as a sub but he's no where near clinical enough.

I don't agree with Henry wrt to us needing four players though, three would be perfect (two would be ok given Coq's consistency). A goal keeper (Cech), Schniederlin and Lacazette basically and then we have no reason not to challenge.
Coquelin is becoming my current favourite player.
Original post by SA-1
x

Schneiderlin and Cech would add so much to your squad.

I can't see you ever beating a Mourinho side with Wenger in charge - simply because your best chances to score would be from balls from wide areas, and Giroud would never win an out-and-out aerial battle with Terry, nor Cahill.

Wenger's unlikely to ever sign a striker who would, either.

You've scored six in 13 games against Chelsea - and not one in your last five.
Original post by Mackay
Schneiderlin and Cech would add so much to your squad.

I can't see you ever beating a Mourinho side with Wenger in charge - simply because your best chances to score would be from balls from wide areas, and Giroud would never win an out-and-out aerial battle with Terry, nor Cahill.

Wenger's unlikely to ever sign a striker who would, either.

You've scored six in 13 games against Chelsea - and not one in your last five.

Should have recalled Sanogo back for the game tbh
Original post by Lúcio
The bitterness is real.

Sterling > Sanchez

Pls bite

y u no Jordan Ibe?

Original post by SA-1
How the **** did Coutinho get in the TOTY? Can name so many players who have been better than him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Needed a token Liverpool player.
Original post by AR_95
Should have recalled Sanogo back for the game tbh

'The chaos factor' - Alan Pardew.
Common misconception; it's best to attack Mourinho from out wide. By narrowing the pitch, they force you out wide, and that's exactly what they want, because as mentioned, nobody is beating Terry/Cahill in the air. Even for driven low crosses, there's too many bodies in the way.

The best way to play and beat Mourinho is by getting fullbacks up in support, widening the pitch, making more space for Arsenal's intricate passing manoeuvres in the middle, and forcing the opposition back until they buckle. Alternatively, hope for solo goals, long shots and set pieces. Look at how Barca beat Madrid repeatedly, how Barca beat the dross of La Liga.

The downside of that obviously is that you're vulnerable to the counter. But you won't beat a bus team without being brave.
The 5-3 at White Hart Lane was the only occasion that Chelsea's first team lost [this season], why oh why did Wenger not see how they did it? Oh wait, "they" are Spurs...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Common misconception; it's best to attack Mourinho from out wide. By narrowing the pitch, they force you out wide, and that's exactly what they want, because as mentioned, nobody is beating Terry/Cahill in the air. Even for driven low crosses, there's too many bodies in the way.

The best way to play and beat Mourinho is by getting fullbacks up in support, widening the pitch, making more space for Arsenal's intricate passing manoeuvres in the middle, and forcing the opposition back until they buckle. Alternatively, hope for solo goals, long shots and set pieces. Look at how Barca beat Madrid repeatedly, how Barca beat the dross of La Liga.

The downside of that obviously is that you're vulnerable to the counter. But you won't beat a bus team without being brave.

Yeah this basically, our team lacked the creativity that we've seen recently and it didn't help that Terry had the best of our attack because it meant we couldnt hold anything up there but I preferred it to our usual naive approach where we would have got sliced on the counter. Tried too hard not to concede rather than to score and when we did try and up the tempo they were expert at killing it again. Wouldn't have minded if they played with Costa/Remy, maybe the game would have been more open. Also would have preferred Wilshere to come on instead of Walcott who was never going to get behind the defense, especially with the likes of Terry there and Ozil/Cazorla not being on point creativity wise.
Giroud struggled yesterday purely because he was, at times, on his own against five defenders. Chelsea's defence is class, of course, and the best in the PL. JT had one of the games of his career yesterday, so it's no surprise Giroud struggled in front of goal. The game wasn'tdrawn because of his incompetence or lack of composure, though. It was drawn because Chelsea couldn't be broken down by Arsenal's creativity.
I'm amazed that teams still haven't figured out that the least effective way to score against us is to pump crosses into the box. Either one of Cahill/Terry or Zouma are bound to get it away, that or Courtois will catch it. Courtoius' aerial dominance especially at set-pieces is ridiculous.

One thing Spurs did very well in that 5-3 game was drag Matic out wide time and time again to give Kane and Chadli the space in front of the CB's. Obviously Cahill and Ivanovic's defending was school yard stuff at the time, but ironically we really missed Mikel that match.

Latest