The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Stop derailing this thread. Seriously.

Nothing wrong with going off topic but some of the ****e that's been posted in here lately has got to stop. As for all the people posting on dupes I know exactly who you are so don't think you're fooling anyone.
Original post by Depleted
:rofl:

I'm mainly a fan of football, and associate with Leeds a lot so I get that struggle of dropping down, we've been **** for years and things can be taken for granted. Sad to think because we were probably 10 years early, with all the money in sponsorship and FFP etc. we'd still be a top 4 side tbh.

Ignore the haters though bro. All about blowing off that steam for exams tbh, and yeah ignore the BTEC haters, they're actually a good route into a lot of degrees (and not just **** ones), just got a bad reputation because of BTEC beauty and Homosexual studies. Just do your thing man.

Yep, it's just a case of being in the right place at the wrong time for Leeds. It's unfortunate that Newcastle are going down now, good city, big club with a huge base of support behind them but hopefully they return soon. I guess they do need a kick up their ass after what happened with Pardrew however

Original post by sr90

Nothing wrong with going off topic but some of the ****e that's been posted in here lately has got to stop. As for all the people posting on dupes I know exactly who you are so don't think you're fooling anyone.

This is a student forum and you've got certain posters discriminating others because of their academic ability. I don't understand how that's not being punished regardless of the amounts of confrontations I've had with other members of this website. The sooner the weeds are cut out, the better.

Spoiler for The Bell End

Spoiler

Reply 9522
Coq is such a likeable player, especially since he gives importance to his role and doesn't worry too much about going forward.

In an article with Amy Lawrence, he says "If I can take away 10% of their [Ozil, Cazorla and Sanchez] defensive duties then they can have 10% more to attack and score goals and win us games". It's no surprise that we've become better as a team with Coq in it. Wenger asks him for simplicity, that is literally breaking attacks up - and that's probably why he's doing so well. I remember when Ramsey had his rough patch (prior to last season), Wenger said a similar thing to him - to concentrate on the basics.

I remember back in the day, most of the times our attacking players didn't need to defend, and that's why we were so much more efficient going forward. We had a competent enough defence and a more reliable keeper between the sticks, so the likes of Bergkamp could simply just attack, without the need to track back. Obviously the PL has since changed and everyone is required to have a defensive side to their game, but if we can just add to our defence, or if Gabriel turns in to the ferocious bastard that he looks like then defensively we'll look a lot better.

Still hoping for Schniederlin though, he's a completely different type of CDM to Coq. He'll add something different to our squad (essentially be an Arteta replacement) and he should be wanting CL football. We can get him, so we should. He'll add a bit more to our attack if we need it, while still keeping a relatively good defensive structure. It won't make our hearts jump when Coq is substituted for a more attacking player. Swear at one point during the semi final, I thought the withdrawal of Coq would make us bottle it.

I've completely bought this Coq hype now, his consistency is making him a favourite to be in our starting line up next season. I wouldn't even mind it too much if we don't get Schniederlin, or someone like him. (Wouldn't be as painful as not getting a CDM while we only had Flamini and Arteta)

Coq only started playing footy at 10, before then he used do Judo :lol:. It explains the whole:-

Really though, he's become an absolute beast - and a really consistent beast at that.

[video="youtube;Q_Wg4Q-ayms"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Wg4Q-ayms[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Funny how every Arsenal fan was crying out for a top quality DM when one was found right under Arsene's nose [the academy].
Original post by sr90

Please out the dupes, it's deserved tbh
Original post by SA-1
x

Original post by shawn_o1
Funny how every Arsenal fan was crying out for a top quality DM when one was found right under Arsene's nose [the academy].

Yeah tbf even as a United fan I really rate him. Yeah the Judo pretty much explains his tackles. He's got a bright future ahead of him.

France are going to have a beast of a team in the future (next 5 years +):

Griezmann Fekir Lacazette
Pogba
Coquelin Rabiot
Kurzawa Varane Zouma/Laporte RB
Lloris

Not to mention the likes of Mangala, Sakho e.t.c.
(edited 8 years ago)
Coquelin in all honesty should model his game from Makalele or the likes of Matic and Javi Martinez, don't think he has the ball playing ability to be a deep lying playmaker like your previous DMs like Arteta etc, but he can get across the pitch well and doesn't lose the ball too often, although 84% passing accuracy from a DM is a little worrying especially when you consider that Coquelin isn't a direct deep lying playmaker neither does he like to push forward on bursting runs like other DMs do. Arteta has 93% in the premier league, while Matic has 86% passing accuracy.

But at 23 years old he's got time. Nemanja Matic e.g. was nowhere near this level in 2012 for Benfica, but when he got a good run of games he did very well.

You'll still need a DM as it's going to be worrying using Flamini and Arteta(similar to Chelsea's problem with Mikel and Ramires who are decent but just not good enough to play extended runs of games), but I'm warming to coquelin too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Coquelin needs another season before we can really tell if he is good enough. But he has had a good season.

The only thing is that our expectations for a player in that position may be artificially low because Flamini was so poor.

Next season i'd quite like to see the guy pick the ball up from the defence and distribute the ball a bit better. It would really speed up our play.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dirtybit
Yeah tbf even as a United fan I really rate him. Yeah the Judo pretty much explains his tackles. He's got a bright future ahead of him.

Pogba
Coquelin Rabiot
Lloris

Mangala? Sorry but the guy is a flop he's on a decline.
Original post by SA-1
Coq is such a likeable player, especially since he gives importance to his role and doesn't worry too much about going forward.

In an article with Amy Lawrence, he says "If I can take away 10% of their [Ozil, Cazorla and Sanchez] defensive duties then they can have 10% more to attack and score goals and win us games". It's no surprise that we've become better as a team with Coq in it. Wenger asks him for simplicity, that is literally breaking attacks up - and that's probably why he's doing so well. I remember when Ramsey had his rough patch (prior to last season), Wenger said a similar thing to him - to concentrate on the basics.

I remember back in the day, most of the times our attacking players didn't need to defend, and that's why we were so much more efficient going forward. We had a competent enough defence and a more reliable keeper between the sticks, so the likes of Bergkamp could simply just attack, without the need to track back. Obviously the PL has since changed and everyone is required to have a defensive side to their game, but if we can just add to our defence, or if Gabriel turns in to the ferocious bastard that he looks like then defensively we'll look a lot better.

Still hoping for Schniederlin though, he's a completely different type of CDM to Coq. He'll add something different to our squad (essentially be an Arteta replacement) and he should be wanting CL football. We can get him, so we should. He'll add a bit more to our attack if we need it, while still keeping a relatively good defensive structure. It won't make our hearts jump when Coq is substituted for a more attacking player. Swear at one point during the semi final, I thought the withdrawal of Coq would make us bottle it.

I've completely bought this Coq hype now, his consistency is making him a favourite to be in our starting line up next season. I wouldn't even mind it too much if we don't get Schniederlin, or someone like him. (Wouldn't be as painful as not getting a CDM while we only had Flamini and Arteta)

Coq only started playing footy at 10, before then he used do Judo :lol:. It explains the whole:-

Really though, he's become an absolute beast - and a really consistent beast at that.

He is the next Makaelele!
Original post by Dirtybit

Pogba
Coquelin Rabiot
Lloris

Kondogbia just played Coq and Arsenal out of the CL, don't be so quick to forget pls.

Also Sakho is their golden boy, not a chance Zouma/Laporte are getting in any time soon.
city 2-0 up

dont think we are going to catch their goal difference - so really it looks like a point at old trafford = 2nd
Original post by Stefano93

He's still young ffs. His prime years are well ahead of him.

Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Kondogbia just played Coq and Arsenal out of the CL, don't be so quick to forget pls.

Also Sakho is their golden boy, not a chance Zouma/Laporte are getting in any time soon.

Ahh Knew I was missing out someone, yeah Kondogbia deserves to be in there, probably over Rabiot.

Lol like I said, it's for the future, I expect Zouma/Laporte to be well ahead of him in the next few seasons.
city now 5-0

its annoying because this is what I want to see from us more. Quite a few times you will see us get to 3-0 before half time. and then just drop the temp and chill out for the 2nd half.. when city will push on for 5-6..

Its all fine until you get to a scenario like ours now, where there is a very real chance that we will miss out on 2nd by goal difference..

If city win their last 2 games, and we loose to united at OT, then it will come down to GD.
QPR relegated in style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fabregas has become such a **** since he joined Chelsea.
Original post by fallen_acorns
city now 5-0

its annoying because this is what I want to see from us more. Quite a few times you will see us get to 3-0 before half time. and then just drop the temp and chill out for the 2nd half.. when city will push on for 5-6..

Its all fine until you get to a scenario like ours now, where there is a very real chance that we will miss out on 2nd by goal difference..

If city win their last 2 games, and we loose to united at OT, then it will come down to GD.

It doesn't matter if they finish above us 2nd and 3rd is the same to me and if we can't beat UTD then that's our own fault. As long as we win the FA Cup that's the most important thing.
Original post by fallen_acorns
city now 5-0

Its good that we kill off 2nd half, its about getting the points and lets us practice seeing out games.
Original post by Stefano93

He's only 24 ffs
Original post by Jgco2chem
Its good that we kill off 2nd half, its about getting the points and lets us practice seeing out games.

Agreed. People calling for us to go for the kill when we have a decent lead have forgotten the days where we used to drop points from winning positions in the second halves of matches. Back then it was all 'why can't Arsenal close the game out like the top teams do'.

Latest