The Student Room Group

Why do people kill when they know they'll ruin their own lives (prison)?

Just thought about this when reading this bit of news about a teen who was hacked to death with a machete outside a pub: here.

People will say crimes of passion (which this doesn't seem to be) involve people not thinking about the consequences, but I am referring more generally.

Why go out, kill someone (with planning or not) with the knowledge that you are highly likely to be caught, and that you will spend at least 20-40 years in prison, then be on licence when you're released and never be able to get a proper job?

I just don't understand how someone can kill without considering that it will ruin their own lives.
The odds on you getting 20 to 40 in the UK are quite long. In fact wait for them to be on a bicycle and do it with a car/lorry and you will get a fine and points(fact)
Where I grew up there were people that would literally kill you over a parking space. Whereas you or I would realise the situation was escalating way out of proportion and cool it a bit, their lives are so chaotic and dysfunctional that they would act without worrying about the consequences. A life in and out of prison tends to reduce the fear of if too.
I suppose you need a degree in forensic psychology to fully understand the mind of the murderer.
but i guess a lot of murders happen in the heat of passion and are not planned. some people see red when they get really angry and they seem to lose control of what theyre doing. in these cases the murderers dont really think of what consequences it could have.
the percentage of premeditated murders i would say is very small.
(edited 9 years ago)
sometimes its a moment of madness,a silly mistake,sometimes its about respect and some people are just plain evil
Because they don't care and their life is **** anyways?

If my life was crappy and I had no ambition, being a criminal will seem more likely.
I'd kill, but only with a plan. I wouldn't need one if it was in self defence. I can see myself killing for revenge though.
Original post by sherlockfan
I suppose you need a degree in forensic psychology to fully understand the mind of the murderer.
but i guess a lot of murders happen in the heat of passion and are not planned. some people see red when they get really angry and they seem to lose control of what theyre doing. in these cases the murderers dont really think of what consequences it could have.
the percentage of premeditated murders i would say is very small.

I can understand premeditated murders a lot more maybe thats just me though I think about things and the consequences so I don't think I would murder just random people, which seems to be the majority of murders for some reason.I think a lot of people do it for the power and authority the act seems to give them after all religious people say only God should have the choice over life and death, which shows how murdering people sort of gives this perception of power and control(there is a scene in Doctor Who:Gensis of the Daleks with the Doctor and Davros that illustrates how the criminal mind probably works).I also think there are elements of jealously like if I can't get this then noone should.

Also, OP prison isn't really that bad you get guaranteed food and shelter and depending on what prison you go to you might even be able to watch TV so going to prison can relieve a lot of stress as you know you will be able to cope as the prison has to by law look after the welfare of their prisoners, where as in society if you lose your benefits due to benefit sanctions then you can starve to death.A lot of people worry about whether they will be able to keep a roof over their head and this wouldn't be a worry prisoners would have to face.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
I can understand premeditated murders a lot more maybe thats just me though I think about things and the consequences so I don't think I would murder just random people, which seems to be the majority of murders for some reason.I think a lot of people do it for the power and authority the act seems to give them after all religious people say only God should have the choice over life and death, which shows how murdering people sort of gives this perception of power and control.

Also, OP prison isn't really that bad you get guaranteed food and shelter and depending on what prison you go to you might even be able to watch TV so going to prison can relieve a lot of stress as you know you will be able to cope as the prison has to by law look after the welfare of their prisoners, where as in society if you lose your benefits due to benefit sanctions then you can starve to death.

nobody who commits murder on an impulse thinks that they are going to do it until they do. i dont think it has very much to do with power and god.

i do understand what you say about prison though. people who have nothing to live for probably wouldn't mind.
nobody who commits murder on an impulse thinks that they are going to do it until they do. i dont think it has very much to do with power and god.

i do understand what you say about prison though. people who have nothing to live for probably wouldn't mind.

I really understand revenge attacks like if someone has done really nasty things to you then I generally get how they would get a feeling like they would die trying to kill you nevermind prison.There are several people who infuriate us in society and we wish they would die/be punished for their actions and they haven't even done anything to us.
Original post by Dalek1099
I really understand revenge attacks like if someone has done really nasty things to you then I generally get how they would get a feeling like they would die trying to kill you nevermind prison.There are several people who infuriate us in society and we wish they would die/be punished for their actions and they haven't even done anything to us.

i dont know. there are several people i really really hate and i wish them the worst in life, but i couldn't actually physically go and kill them. someone capable of that has something seriously wrong with them.
Original post by bittr n swt

If my life was crappy and I had no ambition, being a criminal will seem more likely.

what he said. in the majority of cases.
i dont know. there are several people i really really hate and i wish them the worst in life, but i couldn't actually physically go and kill them. someone capable of that has something seriously wrong with them.

I am quite a bit of a coward though and would be worried about achieving the act and things -it can go very wrong when trying to kill someone but there are people who I would applaud people murdering.
Original post by bittr n swt

Not every murderer's life is ****, and I would wager that quite a few have a better life than prison would entail (despite people saying prison is a holiday camp, etc).
Humans arent fully rational?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending