Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do stds and things like HIV cross your mind when starting a relationship with someone new?

I was also wondering what it's like after a one night stand, does it suddenly hit you to go and get tested?

Hollyoaks are doing a storyline now with a guy who knew he had HIV who still sleeps with someone else with no protection. It's quite scary if you think about how much we trust people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people think about it as much as they should do tbh

ReputationRep:
    No, me neither.
    It's quite worrying really.... I went and had a test after I finished with my ex boyfriend, so I know I'm alright. It's just everyone else out there.. :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It did yes. Hence why I refused to sleep with him without using protection. Apparently, having had the snip means he didn't need to use protection. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The chance of actually being infected with HIV is not that high, it's just that it's the most serious one of all. I'm more concerned with the ones that cannot really be prevent of using a condom, or those that could transfer through oral sex easily.

ReputationRep:
    It used to drive me paranoid when I made stupid slip ups until I got all-clear from clinic.

Now I always use condoms. It feels less pleasurable, but I don't worry about a girl being pregnant or catching an STD. Pros outweigh the cons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    The chance of actually being infected with HIV is not that high, it's just that it's the most serious one of all. I'm more concerned with the ones that cannot really be prevent of using a condom, or those that could transfer through oral sex easily.
    So HIV isn't actually that common then? I think that's the one that scares me, however none of them sound that fun.

When I used to go to town, me and my best friends would do the free chlamydia tests the women would promote in the toilets at clubs. They really used to push that one, not so much any of the others.

Suppose we just need to trust the people we are with. It's easier said than done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banksyy)
    So HIV isn't actually that common then? I think that's the one that scares me, however none of them sound that fun.

When I used to go to town, me and my best friends would do the free chlamydia tests the women would promote in the toilets at clubs. They really used to push that one, not so much any of the others.

Suppose we just need to trust the people we are with. It's easier said than done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not that common, in the UK, there are only 107,800 people estimated to be HIV carriers, or 1 in 360 people. 44% contacted through sex between men, and 48% heterosexual contacts, meaning only 51744 people potentially. (Let's just ignore bisexuals for a minute.) 3.6 million Britons are gay, that leaves 60.5 million not. 51744 out of 60.5 is less than 0.09% in the population, or 1 in 1169 people. Then depends on your gender and ethnicity, the chances of actually sleeping with a carrier could be even lower.

On top of that, the risk of actually being infected ever if you do sleep with a carrier is not high. First of all, it depends on the mode of sex: Oral sex carries almost no risks, the penetrative side in anal sex is the least risky, then penetrative side in vaginal, submissive side in vaginal, then submissive in anal. Then there's the difference between someone has ejaculated inside you, and whether your inner body has wounds, etc.

Ever with anal sex (you're the one being penetrated) with an HIV carrier and he ejculated inside, it's still of a very low risk. If he's on medication, it's entirely possible that it's almost impossible for him to infect anyone, and ever if he is not, as long as he's not in his first few months, the chance of infection is still not high. Even in his first few months, it's still not close to 100% at all. (Injecting blood into your blood stream would be the riskiest, though still not 100%.) And if you're worried after sex, you can go for PEPs which has a success rate of 80-99% with people who did not even take the doses regularly, and may not have started as early as you did.

On the other hand, with vaginal sex, chlamydia risk of transmission is 30-50% for both parties, and it's got known risk ever if you were a man and received a blow job. More information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexuall...tted_infection

The risk of being infected with HIV is very overstated, and ever if you're living with HIV, with today's technology it's not too bad. You'll need to take pills twice a day but will not live any shorter than anyone else.

The reason for the fear is of course the fact that AIDS cannot be cured, and is potentially dangerous to the host. Herpes cannot be cured but they don't weaken your immune system and you don't need to take pills all the time.

ReputationRep:
    nope, not at all

only use a condom if she ain't on the pill and she insists

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.