Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Art something you're born good at? watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to be good at art, but it seems to people are just born good at it, my whole family are average/below average in terms of drawing but I know a guy and his family are all great artists, I want to be able to draw people, but I can't even draw stick man properly lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.n.A)
    I want to be good at art, but it seems to people are just born good at it, my whole family are average/below average in terms of drawing but I know a guy and his family are all great artists, I want to be able to draw people, but I can't even draw stick man properly lol.
    You can do it if you put your mind to it and keep practising. I've always liked painting/drawing, but when I started out properly (around the age of 16), I was absolutley abysmal. But I love being creative and so I kept practising, because I wanted to be able to paint/draw like the old masters. And eventually I did get better at it, even though I still think I need more practise. But the point is- you can do anything if you really want it. Don't give up! Also if you have serious intentions then you could maybe join an arts-type class in your spare time? But it's totally up to you and what you'd like to improve on.

ReputationRep:
    I have struggled with it since I was young, if you put enough practise in then you could probably be good at it but my teachers used to make me do art and I would have been a lot better just colouring in

ReputationRep:
    I definitely think you can be trained to a certain level, especially if you're talking about 'proficiency' only.

Creativity and sensitivity are different matters.

ReputationRep:
    You're not born good at art. Some people are born with an ability to harness their creativity better, but everyone and anyone can be good at art.

Why can't you draw? Probably because you haven't done much of it, I could never use Photoshop before but now I'd consider myself pretty good, practice is the key, it's just that some people pick it up quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect

ReputationRep:
    I was terrible when I was younger and honestly my mum was worried when I took it at GCSE. But I put a lot of hard work into it. I realised that if focused on what I was drawing and improved my technique that my pictures would come out really good. I managed to get a A and even my mum was shocked at my portfolio. I guess some people are natural ( I had some friends who were AMAZING) but if your like me - practise and learn the techniques through watching others (youtube?) you will be able to get there!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Let me tell you something i used to be absolutely **** at drawing. I used to see these amazing artists' drawings that looked like photos and scream with rage inside. I used to be so bummed because everytime I drew someone I made them look extremely disproportionate.

Nobody is born with drawing abilities. You learn it, like riding a bike or swimming. Just don't stop drawing. Don't expect too much from yourself either. Improvements happen but they don't happen overnight. Now my portraits look just like photos because I never stopped. I was jealous of those other artists and I challenged myself. I finally got the hang of it. Remember, you will improve with every drawing. Just try to understand where you're going wrong and try to fix it in the next drawing. But don't erase your mistakes they will help you later to understand. And honestly, some mistakes are just beautiful

Oh and one last tip. Draw what you see not what you're supposed to draw. For example if you're drawing an eye, forget about the fact that you're drawing an eye and focus on the individual lines and edges. And sometimes try not to look at what you're drawing. Look at the reference photo and keep moving your hand with what you see (the lines and stuff) you'll be amazed at the amount of likeness you will achieve.

Hope I could help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    You're not born good at art. Some people are born with an ability to harness their creativity better, but everyone and anyone can be good at art.

Why can't you draw? Probably because you haven't done much of it, I could never use Photoshop before but now I'd consider myself pretty good, practice is the key, it's just that some people pick it up quicker.

Out of curiosity what do you photoshop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vestal Priestess)
    Out of curiosity what do you photoshop?
    I did quite a bit of graphic design for Dad for his business, I also colour and line my sketches when I can. Other than that I use it for dumb edits of my friends and making memes, but let's not go into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    I did quite a bit of graphic design for Dad for his business, I also colour and line my sketches when I can. Other than that I use it for dumb edits of my friends and making memes, but let's not go into that.

can you show us some of your work?

Anything...

ReputationRep:
    Is it to do with maths or something?

I always find people like me who are so rubbish at maths do worse at art than those who are not. It could be something to do with spacing and estimating? I'm rubbish at that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.n.A)
    Many people that are talented are so from hard work.

I've started drawing from the age of 10 and wasn't really talented at all but I'd spend hours and hours drawing the same thing and comparing to the original picture to see if I've improved, and done so for 5 years. Then I went back to the basic for about 2 years: I started learning the basic of shading, and also I learn anatomy using various sites like DeviantArt (which is extremely useful) and using some books. The rest was spending countless hours and nights drawing and drawing in a continuous loop.

There are times I compared my work with others and lose motivation, and times I get absolutely disgusted at what I've drawn (especially when it comes to realism, it's a real b*tch) even if I made a slight mistake (like made the head of a person tilt slightly compared to the original picture). But even so I still continued drawing and drawing and also browsing tutorials to improve.

I suggest you go on Youtube and watch some tutorials, and also time lapse drawing/painting (whichever one you're interested, I personally hate painting) and see the techniques they use (it's how I mostly learnt). Then you should be able to apply it to your own work.

It's all comes down to how much practice and learning you do, so its best to start now and stay motivated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vestal Priestess)
    can you show us some of your work?

Anything...
    Here are a few I've got some stuff stuck in a harddrive in a broken computer, I'll save then very soon though hopefully!

Graphic Design
    Spoiler:
    Show

Colour a Sketch
    Spoiler:
    Show

Dumb Edit
    Spoiler:
    Show

Not-so-dumb Edit
    Spoiler:
    Show

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.