Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need helping with completing the square with a coefficient other than one Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://i.imgur.com/NEwY2ZGh.jpg
    Can someone please just go through the question and explain completing the square and what the hell I'm doing wrong, I've been doing this god forsaken question for over an hour now, I can do everything else in c1 except completing the square. I have no idea and considering just skipping learning completing the square as some people say you only need to divide the first 2 terms by the coefficient while others say you have to divide everything. I'm honestly about to punch my brother and break his jaw if he comes into my room again because doing this is making me so frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamSlim)
    http://i.imgur.com/NEwY2ZGh.jpg
    Can someone please just go through the question and explain completing the square and what the hell I'm doing wrong, I've been doing this god forsaken question for over an hour now, I can do everything else in c1 except completing the square. I have no idea and considering just skipping learning completing the square as some people say you only need to divide the first 2 terms by the coefficient while others say you have to divide everything. I'm honestly about to punch my brother and break his jaw if he comes into my room again because doing this is making me so frustrated.
    I'm pretty sure your solution there is right! I can't find the problem, anyway. And it shouldn't make any difference whether you divide the whole thing or just the first 2 terms by the coefficient, as long as you multiply it back out correctly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.