The Student Room Group

. Picking Options in 3 days... Help?

I am picking my GCSES next week and I was hoping I could get some advice on how hard they are and what it is like to do, as I wasn't told on what the subjects were like... My subjects as follows
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Religious Studies (Made us take)
French
Geography
Graphics
IT (Got to pick a forth subject because I did well in exams)

these options are are not final, they're just what I wanted to pick I am seeing what they're like to see if I should do them

also so apparently everyone in the top set of our school (including me) might have to do Further Maths, so a bit of advice would be nice thanks.

I feel fairly confident in Maths, Science as I am projected to get A*s in them, as well as Geography and French, but I want to know what it's like to do and how hard they are as I really am determined to get straight As...

Thanks
From a curious Year 9 :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
It really depends on the sort of person you are. You'll do well in most subjects through listening, asking questions, making good notes and learning the exam technique- so you should be fine :smile:

French- Be prepared to memorise paragraphs accurately for writing and speaking - not being too anxious e.t.c
Extra work required for A/A* as more complex grammar and phrases need to be included.

RE. Learning key teachings and key words. This isn't too hard if you have good common sense and get to know how to answer each question with a few main teachings.

Geography and graphics -my friends do these. Geography - lots of it is quite boring in reality, there's a lot of case studies to learn for the exam and a controlled assessment.

Graphics- lots of coursework - ok if you can keep on top of it alongside everything else.

Science - memorising lots of factual information with some understanding in order to apply it. ISA controlled assessments which aren't that hard but require a technique.

If you need any more help or advice, just ask, I'd be happy to help :smile: (I'm in year 11)
I took all of those apart from the last 3, and R.S was a short course, so I guess I can't count that!

For both English subjects, I'd highly advise staying on top of coursework and making sure each piece is properly planned. My lit coursework (the only piece we had other than the exams) was practically improvised, and although the grade was not too bad, I chose to retake it - which is so much harder this year!

In sciences I would just make sure you understand each part of each unit before allowing yourself to move on to the next one. This, in my opinion, applies particularly to physics, and also to maths.

For French, just remember higher level grammar structures. A book called Mille et Un Points really helped me with this!

My friend who picked graphics say it's just keeping up with coursework!

Don't worry too much yet, though, just enjoy your time before starting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pursuedbyabear
I took all of those apart from the last 3, and R.S was a short course, so I guess I can't count that!

For both English subjects, I'd highly advise staying on top of coursework and making sure each piece is properly planned. My lit coursework (the only piece we had other than the exams) was practically improvised, and although the grade was not too bad, I chose to retake it - which is so much harder this year!

In sciences I would just make sure you understand each part of each unit before allowing yourself to move on to the next one. This, in my opinion, applies particularly to physics, and also to maths.

For French, just remember higher level grammar structures. A book called Mille et Un Points really helped me with this!

My friend who picked graphics say it's just keeping up with coursework!

Don't worry too much yet, though, just enjoy your time before starting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man, I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
It really depends on the sort of person you are. You'll do well in most subjects through listening, asking questions, making good notes and learning the exam technique- so you should be fine :smile:

French- Be prepared to memorise paragraphs accurately for writing and speaking - not being too anxious e.t.c
Extra work required for A/A* as more complex grammar and phrases need to be included.

RE. Learning key teachings and key words. This isn't too hard if you have good common sense and get to know how to answer each question with a few main teachings.

Geography and graphics -my friends do these. Geography - lots of it is quite boring in reality, there's a lot of case studies to learn for the exam and a controlled assessment.

Graphics- lots of coursework - ok if you can keep on top of it alongside everything else.

Science - memorising lots of factual information with some understanding in order to apply it. ISA controlled assessments which aren't that hard but require a technique.

If you need any more help or advice, just ask, I'd be happy to help :smile: (I'm in year 11)

Thanks a bunch for the advice :smile:
Original post by AryanGh
Thanks man, I really appreciate it :smile:

Glad I could help :smile:
I'd say Chemistry is the hardest out of those options since if you really don't know what you're doing you'll struggle alot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for all advice, but it appears I have a fairly largescale options dilemma, it's on my latest post I'll post it here for you all, they scrapped Graphics as well btw:

I previously posted something saying the options I was going to pick, but my school decided to screw me over, and say you can only Pick 3 GCSES instead of 4 and I really need help for what the subjects are like for GCSE.

What I am currently considering
Geography (Definitely)
French (Definitely)
Either Engineering (WJEC), BTEC Business Studies or Computing

Now, I want to be an Aerospace Engineer, so I expect people are going to say "Pick Engineering, It's a no-brainer!" But the University I want to go to says for Aerospace Engineering you only need to get 2As in Maths and Physics A Levels, I currently average an A* in both subjects so I know I could do it but I really want to know which of these 3 I should take.

I mean it's probably obvious I should take Engineering but I really love Computing and Business Studies as well and I do not want to change Geog or French. My school offers Business Studies and Computing as A-Levels but NOT Engineering, so I feel obliged to take it, I would really appreciate some advice on which of these to take and also from people who have done these subjects what it's like and whether it's worth it.

Thank You,
From A Stressed out Y9 Student
Original post by AryanGh
Thanks for all advice, but it appears I have a fairly largescale options dilemma, it's on my latest post I'll post it here for you all, they scrapped Graphics as well btw:

I previously posted something saying the options I was going to pick, but my school decided to screw me over, and say you can only Pick 3 GCSES instead of 4 and I really need help for what the subjects are like for GCSE.

Geography (Definitely)
French (Definitely)

Now, I want to be an Aerospace Engineer, so I expect people are going to say "Pick Engineering, It's a no-brainer!" But the University I want to go to says for Aerospace Engineering you only need to get 2As in Maths and Physics A Levels, I currently average an A* in both subjects so I know I could do it but I really want to know which of these 3 I should take.

I mean it's probably obvious I should take Engineering but I really love Computing and Business Studies as well and I do not want to change Geog or French. My school offers Business Studies and Computing as A-Levels but NOT Engineering, so I feel obliged to take it, I would really appreciate some advice on which of these to take and also from people who have done these subjects what it's like and whether it's worth it.

Thank You,

People say business studies is boring the majority of people who do it say this. Alot of people you wouldn't expect in my class do Computing, i'm not sure about engineering.
Hello there!

I'm currently taking additional maths for GCSE, and I find it alright. If you're good and you like maths, add maths would be more interesting for you although it could be challenging at times. As long as you have a good teacher, you shouldn't suffer much. If you are ever planning to take maths in A levels, I would definitely recommend you to take add maths in GCSE as it would give you a head start since some materials are covered in GCSE.

Besides that, I have also taken geography, and I love it so much! It's my favourite subject! But, it depends on each person as I have friends that finds geography challenging and boring. If you like subjects that involves common sense, I highly advise you to take it. It's also good to know what is happening in our world these days!

Anyone else here loves geography too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AryanGh

Geography (Definitely)
French (Definitely)

Thank You,

Hiya!
I loved Geo and French so go you for picking them haha. I did take Computing (tho my course was called ICT) and I loved it too. I never took Business Studies but I've heard varied reports - as far as I can make out it seems to depend on your teacher and how interesting they make the class. Since Engineering is very computerised these days (at least that's the impression I get I might be wrong) I'd take Computing - it gives you some really good skills you'll need for the future. Plus the exams also teach you time management and broaden your theoretical knowledge of computers. Then again I'm pretty biased but I'd say go for Computing if you'd like a broader but still related set of subjects:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
My advice for everyone choosing options (whether GCSE or A level) is to choose the subjects you are best at and enjoy the most as they are the ones you will inevitably do the best in
Well it turns out I don't need engineering as it's not a legit subject and Its really between Business Studies and Computing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
ICT, all the coursework :banghead: Might be different for you though, because you're choosing your subjects now, like you may not have any coursework :smile:

Maths, science, re, geography, French & English Lit/Lang shouldn't be too much of a jump from KS3 to GCSE. You've probably learnt a bit of it already and will just develop on what you've learnt, finish off the spec + practise exam questions/techniques. :smile:

Further Maths, I've just started this at school, we're currently going over stuff that is also in GCSE maths. My teacher says that there are only a few topics that are new so shouldn't be too hard. I assume you'll go on to do that after you've finished the GCSE Maths content though? So still have time! Think you'll be fine with it, having been predicted a*, good for if you'd like to do it at a level too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest