The Student Room Group

University life

Hi I will try and keep this as short as possible, I'm a guy currently in my third year at Uni. Moved in with completely new people, many of the people I was with from first year onwards have now graduated ect.. I am bit part involved in rugby and other societies (need to get a lot more involved asap), but I barely have many lectures or seminars weekly to become more friendly there. Without going too deep into it I'v always been a bit shy, in year 10 age 14, I had chronic fatigue syndrome, this among other reasons, really affected my social life and things I was doing, from mid 14 - mid 18 until I went to Uni I didn't do much at all, or have anyone to do things with. It really sucked, after a while I gave up and I just though so what, I missed so much during this time compared with others. I had a few random parties and social events, games of football ect.. here and there but nothing ever consistent, or with a group of friends.. Things improved when I got to Uni I was always a bit on the shy side and reluctant to do things, even though deep down I desperately wanted to (nights out and everything). Over the summer I had some CBT counselling which radically changed me, and my perspective, I feel a lot more confident and more up for doing things now! The problem is in my flat, half are away every weekend, and the other half don't want to do anything, because all my old friends have already graduated, I don't know too many other people. It almost feels like I'm growing down and everyone else is growing up, I feel like I'm 18, its probably because I had such a poor social life when I was living at home!! I'm desperate to meet more people, but at this stage 3rd year it seems a bit crazy knocking on random people's doors. I feel like I wasted so much time in the past, and can't bare to be the age I am now, and waste any more of my youth!! Does anyone else feel like this? How would you suggest I improve my social life, other than the rugby and societies I'v mentioned, is there anything else you would suggest I do? Sorry if this sounds like some kind of sob story or a bit pompous, it wasn't the intention! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending