Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I have had a tough time juggling uni and my personal life. I lived far away from uni and commuted in my first year. I tried to move near uni for my second year and didn't enjoy it so have now moved back in with my parents. The plan was that I look for another place in my hometown, I found the perfect place and now my mum won't be my guarantor and she wants me to live at home and is blocking any chances I have to move out. What can I do? I can't afford a place in my hometown and go commute without my parents money but I'm tired of relying on them and their horrid manipulations. I just want to get out of this situation but I get really depressed being all alone living in the town where my uni is.

    If you can't move out without their money then they do have quite a 'hold' on you so to speak so unless you get a part time job you'll have to stick it out until you graduate and get a job. I know that is not ideal for you but there are not many options to be honest.

    Also for my place, I needed a guarantor but I negotiated instead and showed them my work contract and payslips and they were happy with that. Some people don't mind and if you are not in first year then a good reference may just do it.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2015
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.