Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anyone else terrified of not getting the grades for uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting for my A Levels this year for the first time (even though I should have taken them last year but extenuating circumstances didn't make it possible) and I'm completely terrified of not getting my grades (AAA) for Medicine, so much so that I feel like it's completely putting me off revision

I know that if I work hard and finish all the past papers I should be ready but the thought of getting anything less than the grades I need is too terrifying to think about, and nothing feels like it's going to be enough to get me where I want to be. :cry2:

Sometimes it just feels too overwhelming to the point where I end up not getting anything done because of the panic (the irony) :rolleyes:

Is anyone else in the same boat?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, except I'm in year 12, so I shouldn't technically be panicking about A2 results just yet.. I do the past papers etc, but it just never feels like it's getting me anywhere (despite the fact it clearly is). I spend half my designated revision time on worrying that I'll fail, or disappoint my parents/teachers. Most of the time I feel emotionally drained - I don't even feel like doing the homework.

I think it's important to remember that if you ARE worrying it's not necessarily a bad thing, you can use it to drive and motivate you. Plus, I don't think people destined to fail think they'll at this time of the year (if you get what I mean). Clearly if you're already working now you care, and want to do well, and most likely will do well. Let's be real most people won't be starting revision till the April holidays anyway.

Remember that you don't have to work everyday, if you completely don't feel like it then don't do it. It's not likely to benefit you if you're not in the mood. You could also have a day or two in the week where the only work you do is your homework, or no work at all. Out of interest, what subjects are you taking? Good luck! I'm sure you'll get the grades you need!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria98)
    Definitely, except I'm in year 12, so I shouldn't technically be panicking about A2 results just yet.. I do the past papers etc, but it just never feels like it's getting me anywhere (despite the fact it clearly is). I spend half my designated revision time on worrying that I'll fail, or disappoint my parents/teachers. Most of the time I feel emotionally drained - I don't even feel like doing the homework.

I think it's important to remember that if you ARE worrying it's not necessarily a bad thing, you can use it to drive and motivate you. Plus, I don't think people destined to fail think they'll at this time of the year (if you get what I mean). Clearly if you're already working now you care, and want to do well, and most likely will do well. Let's be real most people won't be starting revision till the April holidays anyway.

Remember that you don't have to work everyday, if you completely don't feel like it then don't do it. It's not likely to benefit you if you're not in the mood. You could also have a day or two in the week where the only work you do is your homework, or no work at all. Out of interest, what subjects are you taking? Good luck! I'm sure you'll get the grades you need!
    Aw this was very motivational and comforting! Thank you

My subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I have Philosophy as well but I can get anything from A* to B in it (I'd be very disappointed if I get anything lower than that ).

I do exactly the same thing when it comes to revision haha I really hope I can find a way around it because I'll definitely struggle if I do get into Medicine.

But thank you! I wish you all the luck in your AS exams this year and A2 next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStoryteller)
    Aw this was very motivational and comforting! Thank you

My subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I have Philosophy as well but I can get anything from A* to B in it (I'd be very disappointed if I get anything lower than that ).

I do exactly the same thing when it comes to revision haha I really hope I can find a way around it because I'll definitely struggle if I do get into Medicine.

But thank you! I wish you all the luck in your AS exams this year and A2 next year
    Thats so weird, I have the exact same subjects! (But I dropped Philosophy for A2) And I want to do medicine as well, so you are not alone I am terrified about not getting the results I need, especially since I didn't work hard for AS so I didn't do as well.

Procrastinating seems to be second nature for me!! I think one of the key things is to start early, which you're clearly doing, as it takes off so much stress(but not completely) from the exams, so you're on the right track!

This may not work for you, but when I'm feeling nervous about my exams or just can't muster enough energy to study, reading motivational quotes or tumblr posts on how other people are studying really helps, because it makes you envision your goal and how happy you'll be when you get that. So you could try that

I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get the grades for uni last year, and that is my motivation for this year. Honestly, checking track an finding out I wasn't going to uni was one of the worst experiences, when you have been planning for something for over two years and all of a sudden find out it's not going to happen, I have never felt worse.
    But I'm resitting this year and I still can't bring myself to revise. Although I'm not at school and I work full time at the moment so it's pretty hard to do everything. I'm just so scared that i'll end up in the same position

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely terrified too! Particularly about STEP as I have no idea if I'll ever be any good at that. The only thing that keeps me motivated is fear and the potential reward of doing my dream course at my dream uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm under the exact same circumstances OP! I'm in sixth year at the moment and applied to Universities for Medicine about three months ago.

I spend so much time worrying about not getting everything I need to do done, that none of it gets done! I think we're all in the same boat here, at the end of the day, we just need to power on through

ReputationRep:
    Definitely terrified, I've no idea what I'll do if I don't get the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbin95)
    I didn't get the grades for uni last year, and that is my motivation for this year. Honestly, checking track an finding out I wasn't going to uni was one of the worst experiences, when you have been planning for something for over two years and all of a sudden find out it's not going to happen, I have never felt worse.
    But I'm resitting this year and I still can't bring myself to revise. Although I'm not at school and I work full time at the moment so it's pretty hard to do everything. I'm just so scared that i'll end up in the same position
    Aw no technically I'm half in the same situation but it's my first time taking them (whilst on a gap year as well) and postponing them for a year definitely didn't help because it made the fear of not getting in much much worse :rolleyes:

I think what's important at this point is to just keep pushing hard, remember what it felt like and let it push you forward until you're comfortable with your material. Being comfortable with your material will put your mind at ease and will lesson the tension/stress of it all (if only I could act on my own advice :dry:)

Keep us posted with your progress (if you wish) and if you need help/motivation I think we can all help each other out here

ReputationRep:
    No because I already have mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAnon)
    Thats so weird, I have the exact same subjects! (But I dropped Philosophy for A2) And I want to do medicine as well, so you are not alone I am terrified about not getting the results I need, especially since I didn't work hard for AS so I didn't do as well.

Procrastinating seems to be second nature for me!! I think one of the key things is to start early, which you're clearly doing, as it takes off so much stress(but not completely) from the exams, so you're on the right track!

This may not work for you, but when I'm feeling nervous about my exams or just can't muster enough energy to study, reading motivational quotes or tumblr posts on how other people are studying really helps, because it makes you envision your goal and how happy you'll be when you get that. So you could try that

I wish you the best of luck!
    Aw thank you for this! Getting into Medicine is honestly the worst part,or so people tell me, so I'm going to try and keep hope in the fact that if I do manage I would have overcome the big "barrier" in my way.

Same procrastination will be the death of me! Well procrastination and the waste of time that goes into planning multiple revision timetables once every so often because the previous ones wouldn't have worked :rolleyes:

I wish you all the luck in the world with getting the grades for Medicine! We'll hopefully be celebrating at the end of all this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethanykmac)
    I'm under the exact same circumstances OP! I'm in sixth year at the moment and applied to Universities for Medicine about three months ago.

I spend so much time worrying about not getting everything I need to do done, that none of it gets done! I think we're all in the same boat here, at the end of the day, we just need to power on through
    It's a constant cycle we desperately need to find a way out of (especially if we want to study something as tedious as Medicine)! But definitely agreed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schrödingers Cat)
    No because I already have mine.

Cheeky

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even got an offer back yet, so I have no idea what I'm working towards unfortunately I'm getting worried, I really desperately want to get in this year. I don't want to have to do another year at school :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStoryteller)
    Cheeky
    :wink2:

Good luck with your A-levels :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Use that fear as motivation to do your work!

ReputationRep:
    I thought that having offers would motivate me to work but obviously not :laugh: I'm a little scared of missing my grades and I don't really have a back up :facepalm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.