Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Differential equations with rectilinear motion watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering 1st year, however, I feel this problem falls into Physics/Maths also. The following question is in "Engineering Mechanics, Dynamics, 6th Edition", by "J. L. Mriam and L. G. Kraige", page 29 but here are pictures:

The question:
    Spoiler:
    Show

The soltuion:
    Spoiler:
    Show

The question is with regards to the integration of the equation which is next to the number 2. This is ds/(sqrt(v^2-(k^2*s^2))). I do not understand how this then equals 1/k(*(sin^-1(ks/v))).

Appreciate any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No-Idea.)
    It's integrated using a trigonometric substitution. It's in the form \sqrt{a^2 - b^2x^2}, so we look for a substitution that would cancel this down to a single term. I.e, if you subbed in some form of sin\theta, and use the identity 1 - sin^2\theta = cos^2\theta.

Click the spoiler for the full working. I wouldn't usually do this, but it's a common integral that you'll learn to know by heart, and the maths is slightly tricky.

Spoiler:
    Show

\displaystyle \int \dfrac{ds}{\sqrt{v_0^2 - k^2s^2}}

Let s = \dfrac{v_0}{k}sin\theta

\dfrac{ds}{d\theta} = \dfrac{v_0}{k}cos\theta \, \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, \, ds = \dfrac{v_0}{k}cos\theta d\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{v_0}{k} \int \dfrac{cos\theta}{\sqrt{v_0^2 - v_0^2sin^2\theta}}\, d\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{k} \int \dfrac{cos\theta}{cos\theta}\, d\theta ---> Taken a factor of v_0 out the root, and cancelled it with the \dfrac{v_0}{k}. Used the identity 1 - sin^2\theta = cos^2\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{k} \int 1 \, d\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{k}(\theta) ---> Using the initial substitution. \theta = sin^{-1}\left(\dfrac{ks}{v_0}\right)

= \dfrac{1}{k}sin^{-1}\left(\dfrac{ks}{v_0}\right)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    It's integrated using a trigonometric substitution. It's in the form \sqrt{a^2 - b^2x^2}, so we look for a substitution that would cancel this down to a single term. I.e, if you subbed in some form of sin\theta, and use the identity 1 - sin^2\theta = cos^2\theta.

Click the spoiler for the full working. I wouldn't usually do this, but it's a common integral that you'll learn to know by heart, and the maths is slightly tricky.

Spoiler:
    Show

\dfrac{ds}{d\theta} = \dfrac{v_0}{k}cos\theta \, \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, \, ds = \dfrac{v_0}{k}cos\theta d\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{v_0}{k} \int \dfrac{cos\theta}{\sqrt{v_0^2 - v_0^2sin^2\theta}}\, d\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{k} \int \dfrac{cos\theta}{cos\theta}\, d\theta ---> Taken a factor of v_0 out the root, and cancelled it with the \dfrac{v_0}{k}. Used the identity 1 - sin^2\theta = cos^2\theta

= \displaystyle \dfrac{1}{k}(\theta) ---> Using the initial substitution. \theta = sin^{-1}\left(\dfrac{ks}{v_0}\right)

I see, thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)

Spoiler:
    Show

Sorry, just one question going over your reply.

How did you go about getting s=(v/k)*sin(theta)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Bump..anyone..?

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Ever so sorry, for some reason I've only just seen this!

Like I mentioned in the post, I was looking for a substitution to narrow the expression down to a single term.

We have this:

\sqrt{v_0^2 - k^2s^2}

And to apply sin^2x + cos^2x = 1

I wanted the root to be in the form:

\sqrt{v_0^2 - v_0^2p^2} \, \, \, \Rightarrow v_0\sqrt{1 - p^2}

Where p would be either sin\theta or cos\theta

I picked to make it sin\theta, so I could avoid having the negative in the differentiation when switching the variables.

So, we have, \sqrt{v_0^2 - k^2s^2} and we want \sqrt{v_0^2 - v_0^2sin^2\theta}.

So we need a substitution for s, where k^2s^2 becomes v_0^2sin^2\theta

Thus:

k^2s^2 = v_0^2sin^2\theta \, \, \, \, \Rightarrow \, \, \, s = \dfrac{v_0}{k}sin\theta

Does that help? Sorry for the long winded answer, you'll learn to do this sort of thing via inspection however, someday.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.