Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    its moving an exam. period.
    I don't get it though - how is moving an exam cheating at all? It's not like she's taking the same paper as everyone else a day later and can find out the answers.

She's just changing exam sessions instead of wasting her time this time around and risking getting a bad grade because she's not ready. It's a brave move. Would you call resits cheating? Or people sitting modules in June of Y13 instead of January because they don't feel ready then?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    its moving an exam. period. based on the need to resolve a weakness, id say that was cheating.
    I always thought exams were supposed to test your knowledge/skill in a subject - not your ability to handle stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I always thought exams were supposed to test your knowledge/skill in a subject - not your ability to handle stress.
    giving you an hour to complete the exam in a steam room while i had 5 on a deckchair is irrelevant to knowledge, but its hardly fair. management of stress and pressure is possibly thee most important indicator of ability to perform. employees know very well that people cram and the like. they know theyll forget all of it by the end of the week. the grades signify something else to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    I don't get it though - how is moving an exam cheating at all? It's not like she's taking the same paper as everyone else a day later and can find out the answers.

She's just changing exam sessions instead of wasting her time this time around and risking getting a bad grade because she's not ready. It's a brave move. Would you call resits cheating? Or people sitting modules in June of Y13 instead of January because they don't feel ready then?
    lets have a race..you run tomorrow, and ill run in a couple of weeks, when im ready and have done some training...!!

re-sits are cheating in my book. you failed, only the shame of taking a resit can make up for that.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    giving you an hour to complete the exam in a steam room while i had 5 on a deckchair is irrelevant to knowledge, but its hardly fair. management of stress and pressure is possibly thee most important indicator of ability to perform. employees know very well that people cram and the like. they know theyll forget all of it by the end of the week. the grades signify something else to them...
    I'd say a person who's also able to acknowledge when they're getting stressed and take positive actions to resolve it are showing very employable traits. Simply putting up with stress and not achieving your tasks and/or full potential helps noone...especially in a work environment the people who don't communicate when they're loosing track of work/deadlines are the people who lose companies money....not the ones who admit to being stressed and ask for more time and/or help.

As for the resitting comment I'm not sure what you're responding to - Glitter has postponed this single exam in an attempt to not have to resit to attain her full potential. She's not resitting she's delaying it for 6 months.

And considering what a textiles/art exam usually entails I'm not surprised....they put all other exams into the shade with the time requirements needed to do well.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say a person who's also able to acknowledge when they're getting stressed and take positive actions to resolve it are showing very employable traits.
    can you think of a way to assess this trait fairly?

Simply putting up with stress and not achieving your tasks and/or full potential helps noone...
    we live in a real world. an employee wants someone who can perform to an ability level at maximum stress level. coping with stress is important, but putting off tasks because u might not be 100% your boss will laugh....and then fire you.

especially in a work environment the people who don't communicate when they're loosing track of work/deadlines are the people who lose companies money....not the ones who admit to being stressed and ask for more time and/or help.
    the only quantative way of measuring ability to cope is by giving the same pressure and workload. its simply unfair on others who are stressed, to then move your exam because ur not up for it.

As for the resitting comment I'm not sure what you're responding to - Glitter has postponed this single exam in an attempt to not have to resit to attain her full potential. She's not resitting she's delaying it for 6 months.
    And considering what a textiles/art exam usually entails I'm not surprised....they put all other exams into the shade with the time requirements needed to do well.
    im saying if u fail u fail. personally, resitting is just the systems way of giving everyone a pat on the back...but u still failed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    can you think of a way to assess this trait fairly?
    As with any qualitiative trait it can only be measured through considering peoples attitude and questioning them about their experience with and attitude to stress.

we live in a real world. an employee wants someone who can perform to an ability level at maximum stress level. coping with stress is important, but putting off tasks because u might not be 100% your boss will laugh....and then fire you.
    Luckily in this real world work related stress is a very real fear of the majority of employers. Firing people suffering stress caused by their work is against employment law unless all routes of managing that stress have been explored.

I think you're confusing stress with pressure. Pressure is common, it's only pressure that isn't handled correctly that becomes stress. Handling pressure by managing the different priorities on your time is the most effective way of avoiding stess.

the only quantative way of measuring ability to cope is by giving the same pressure and workload. its simply unfair on others who are stressed, to then move your exam because ur not up for it.
    But then it's very rare that you have your abilities tested in the workplace in a controlled environment testing everything you've learnt in the last 6 months/year/decade. Saying that good exam results = ability to handle stress in the workplace is daft. Good exam results = ability to handle stress under exam conditions and your knowledge/skill with the subject.

Having a real life example of having coped with/avoided stess by having taen controll of a situation and made positive changes to make a situation manageable is a good qualitative example of stress/pressure management.

im saying if u fail u fail. personally, resitting is just the systems way of giving everyone a pat on the back...but u still failed.
    And I'm asking why you're talking about resits? Glitter isn't resitting she's *avoiding* potential resits...surely that would be a positive thing by your measure.

ReputationRep:
    why are you getting stroppy about glitter taking her exam 6 months later vienna? it's just like people who take a gap year because they feel they need a break before uni, just putting it off. who cares if she does it 6 months later than usual? she'll still have the same qualification and there's no point making yourself ill through stress just because it's 'weak' not to. i think she's done a really sensible thing by postponing it, she wants the best possible result and if she feels she can't get it now then that's upto her. and it's not like she won't have any pressure at all when she actually does sit it.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    why are you getting stroppy about glitter taking her exam 6 months later vienna? it's just like people who take a gap year because they feel they need a break before uni, just putting it off. who cares if she does it 6 months later than usual? she'll still have the same qualification and there's no point making yourself ill through stress just because it's 'weak' not to. i think she's done a really sensible thing by postponing it, she wants the best possible result and if she feels she can't get it now then that's upto her. and it's not like she won't have any pressure at all when she actually does sit it.

lou xxx
    Vienna obviously has a lot of personal baggage - so let's just leave it personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    i dunno... idont wanna work wiv snotty little kids, i wanna work with secondary age (not theyre much better!!)
    my brother works in playschemes, with older kids. A good job, and plenty of outings.

ReputationRep:
    so the people in year 12... are they cheating too? i mean, that whole extra year to learn - cant possibly be fair?

ReputationRep:
    Vienna95, you're an idiot. The people who were born in September and take exams in June have an advantage over the people who were born in August, but you're not complaining about that, are you ?

ReputationRep:
    As with any qualitiative trait it can only be measured through considering peoples attitude and questioning them about their experience with and attitude to stress.
    and how do you plan to measure this quantatively? and the context of a high school?

Luckily in this real world work related stress is a very real fear of the majority of employers. Firing people suffering stress caused by their work is against employment law unless all routes of managing that stress have been explored.
    hehe, so theyd want someone who could cope with it!
    I think you're confusing stress with pressure. Pressure is common, it's only pressure that isn't handled correctly that becomes stress. Handling pressure by managing the different priorities on your time is the most effective way of avoiding stess.
    probably.

But then it's very rare that you have your abilities tested in the workplace in a controlled environment testing everything you've learnt in the last 6 months/year/decade. Saying that good exam results = ability to handle stress in the workplace is daft. Good exam results = ability to handle stress under exam conditions and your knowledge/skill with the subject.
    which is still better than nothing at all. the point is, everyone is given the same amount of time and the same opportunity.

Having a real life example of having coped with/avoided stess by having taen controll of a situation and made positive changes to make a situation manageable is a good qualitative example of stress/pressure management.
    but its unmeasurable with the resources and methods available to schools. exams arent great for measuring ability, but we all accept that theyre generally the best way. at least everyone should have the same opportunity to manage the stress during that period.

And I'm asking why you're talking about resits? Glitter isn't resitting she's *avoiding* potential resits...surely that would be a positive thing by your measure.
    because someone asked me, "what about resits?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    why are you getting stroppy

im having a discussion with PQ. last time i looked it was a forum...

about glitter taking her exam 6 months later vienna? it's just like people who take a gap year because they feel they need a break before uni, just putting it off. who cares if she does it 6 months later than usual?
    her peers who have to face it 6 months earlier, with the stress and pressure she avoided?

she'll still have the same qualification and there's no point making yourself ill through stress just because it's 'weak' not to. i think she's done a really sensible thing by postponing it, she wants the best possible result and if she feels she can't get it now then that's upto her. and it's not like she won't have any pressure at all when she actually does sit it.

lou xxx
    obviously she did the best thing to get the better marks, but based on my experience of exams, its seen as a 'fraudulent' grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    so the people in year 12... are they cheating too? i mean, that whole extra year to learn - cant possibly be fair?
    what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Vienna95, you're an idiot. The people who were born in September and take exams in June have an advantage over the people who were born in August, but you're not complaining about that, are you ?
    why would I?

ReputationRep:

Just out of curiosity have you read Melanie Phillips' All Must Have Prizes

http://www.melaniephillips.com/

ReputationRep:

obviously she did the best thing to get the better marks, but based on my experience of exams, its seen as a 'fraudulent' grade
    Get real.

Employers don't care when you took the various papers, they care about the final grade. The others in the class have the option of doing the same so no she is not cheating.

Based on real life experience an employer would rather you said "this cannot be done at an appropriate qulity in the time given, it can be done quickly and badly or better but take longer". And they would much much rather you said that early on, not wait until a deadline and miss it.

And why do you care? It's not affecting your exams is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Vienna obviously has a lot of personal baggage - so let's just leave it personal.
    ooh, here you are again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Get real.

Employers don't care when you took the various papers, they care about the final grade. The others in the class have the option of doing the same so no she is not cheating.
    i was talking in terms of how her peers may see it. of course the grade remains legitimate, but can she really say she took the exam under the same conditions as others who decided not to opt out?

Based on real life experience an employer would rather you said "this cannot be done at an appropriate qulity in the time given, it can be done quickly and badly or better but take longer". And they would much much rather you said that early on, not wait until a deadline and miss it.
    hehe yes, but exams dont work like that!!

And why do you care? It's not affecting your exams is it?
    why are we on the forum?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.