The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExMus
Fat people aren't beautiful and I get so enraged for some reason when fat people claim they are. It's total bs and I think fat people should focus on getting healthier and fitter instead of accepting the way they are which will ultimately help everyone. The worst part is that they cost the NHS so much for a problem they spent years years creating. Sorry.

I need space in the bus too. I feel like I am being crushed whenever a fat person sits next to me in the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is another way of saying what I was going to say, attraction is amoral
Original post by Torigirl
Hahaha thanks for doing it like this, makes it much easier!!!
Tbh as these are 'just' views I didn't look very hard into the numbers of actual jobs to number of people seeking work (maybe I should of, before posting on a forum such as this!). If people are genuinely out of work and have exhausted all avenues and there are no job opportunities at all, then yes maybe my view is too hard on those people, but I still think there has to be some kind of limit, we do not have a limitless amount of money to give and people spending a life time in benefits is totally wrong!
As for my view on school attendance and benefits, I will not change my mind. Their parents should make sure they attend school and in this regard I will punish the adult for their childhood self.
I think on the children issue, we both agree children should be brought up in stable homes with parents who have the ability to raise them. We just don't agree on how that can be achieved!
When I first posted my views, I honestly didn't expect to get any feedback! Hahaha :smile:

No problem :smile:

I do completely understand where you are coming from, and I do think it's wrong for people to be on benefits their whole life if it's avoidable. But I think it really just comes down to, is it worth punishing the few in the wrong if it also punishes those who are not in the wrong?

Right we'll never agree on the school attendance thing then, I personally cannot comprehend why you hold that view but fair enough it's your view.

Aye, true also on the children part.

Ahaha this is TSR always expect criticism :wink:
Original post by Blazar
Hey, have you heard of this thing called "pointing out how stupid someone sounds"? Oh yeah, maybe they don't have that in the 1400s. Carry on.

Its laughable because the term homophobia is used inconclusively towards any opinion that challenges homosexuality in a wider since of society.
It is also a grammaticality inferior word that is used to give gay people a liberal privilege and a platform of rightism.
In such matters you must be forced to accept or be branded whatever tripe the media comes up with.

Original post by xleoanimusx
Who decides what is 'Micky mouse'? I'm going into Scandinavian Studies, is that not worthy of study in your world of academic oppression? :biggrin:

Study whatever you wish to study.I am just opposed towards the businesses aspect of education whilst producing such courses to meet pass targets.Colleges and universities should not be funded to host betec level 2 diplomas in nail polishing.
Original post by SophieSmall
No problem :smile:

I do completely understand where you are coming from, and I do think it's wrong for people to be on benefits their whole life if it's avoidable. But I think it really just comes down to, is it worth punishing the few in the wrong if it also punishes those who are not in the wrong?

Right we'll never agree on the school attendance thing then, I personally cannot comprehend why you hold that view but fair enough it's your view.

Aye, true also on the children part.

Ahaha this is TSR always expect criticism :wink:

I think my view on school and benefits has everything to do with how I was brought up and what my parents, my mother in particular, expected from me in regard to going to school. If I wasn't prepared to go to school/college then I was not to expect anything from them. As I did not perform well at college I was made to leave and get a job, and when I left one job and didn't have another job to go too (I was 23) she was going to take me to a crab factory where she knew there were vacancies, I got a job pretty quickly after that threat! Coz I knew she would just March me in there and totally embarrass me! Hahahaha
The fake feminists. They just annoy me lol, and everything they say is complete bull. Oh and how annoyed some people get about politics, like clearly immigration should be "controlled". Just because Nigel Farage is a racist p**** doesn't mean he doesn't make SOME valid points.
Original post by Torigirl
I think my view on school and benefits has everything to do with how I was brought up and what my parents, my mother in particular, expected from me in regard to going to school. If I wasn't prepared to go to school/college then I was not to expect anything from them. As I did not perform well at college I was made to leave and get a job, and when I left one job and didn't have another job to go too (I was 23) she was going to take me to a crab factory where she knew there were vacancies, I got a job pretty quickly after that threat! Coz I knew she would just March me in there and totally embarrass me! Hahahaha

I can completely understand that and you seem to have a good work ethic which I respect. I just think things are a lot more complicated for a lot of people, some children might not go to school as often as they should because they also care for a parent who may be disabled or was involved in an accident or has mental health issues, it may be because they are bullied and afraid to go to school or a whole host of other reasons that may be difficult to prove later on down the line when trying to apply for benefits.

Ahaha I can imagine! :P
Original post by Blue_Mason
Its laughable because the term homophobia is used inconclusively towards any opinion that challenges homosexuality in a wider since of society.
It is also a grammaticality inferior word that is used to give gay people a liberal privilege and a platform of rightism.
In such matters you must be forced to accept or be branded whatever tripe the media comes up with.

Study whatever you wish to study.I am just opposed towards the businesses aspect of education whilst producing such courses to meet pass targets.Colleges and universities should not be funded to host betec level 2 diplomas in nail polishing.

"Challenging homosexuality"? Are you going to start "challenging" ginger hair as well? What about people being tall?
Reply 427
Original post by Obiejess
I won't eat any sort of pig meat, not for any reason, I just detest it.

Good girl.
Original post by Молоко

- Obesity should not be covered by disability benefits

Absolutely agreed. It angers me that a relative who chooses to stuff his face has managed to get a payout because, apparently, the navy should have kept an eye on his weight.:mad: I am talking about some grown man who is able to make choices about how much and what he eats. I am not talking about an adult with a mental of a child who has no understanding at all of weight, calories, etc. Yes, apparently, he has thyroid problems; but really, if you've got something that can contribute to weight gain, then go and and bloody well do something about it. (ie, not sit on your backside and stuff your face) My sister has the same problem and instead of stuffing her face, goes to the gym...

As someone whose had to fight to get benefits, (I should point out, for stuff that isn't my fault and I have no control over) I do find it an insult.
Original post by Blazar
"Challenging homosexuality"? Are you going to start "challenging" ginger hair as well? What about people being tall?

In terms of personal views as you cannot teach tolerance.
Well I wouldn't challenge such genetical factors.
Original post by OU Student
But we don't need everyone entering uni and coming out with a degree. And uni isn't for everyone.

Exactly this.

What at gets me is people are then surprised or sometimes even angry that they can't get a job after they left university.
''Love'' in the romantic sense is based on looks and sex and nothing else. E.g. if you date someone of the opposite gender and say, they look completely different overnight (specifically, turn into what you deem ugly) then truth is, you're gonna want to look for reasons to break up at some point down the line.
In terms of personal views as you cannot teach tolerance.
Well I wouldn't challenge such genetical factors.

Sexual orientation is genetic, so why would you challenge it and not other genetic factors?
Anyone wishing to become a parent should have to pass some sort of test first that determines how good a parent they'd be. Obviously it's very difficult to determine what exactly 'good' is and how people would be tested but just something I've thought about for a while.

Also, dentists should be paid less.

I see where you're coming from. Although I understand that my field of study is very unique, it offends me if someone makes out that it is not worthy of study because I believe it to be quite the contrary. I do agree that some available courses are quite ridiculous and many people use them to waste time. That being said, if the student of BTEC level 2 in Nail Polishing works their hardest, passes with a high grade and then goes on to start up a beauty salon making nice profits, does this not mean that the course was worthwhile? Surely it is what you do with your education that counts, not how 'academically distinguished' the course is? I don't care for being a doctor, a mathematician or an engineer. There are plenty of intelligent folk doing those degrees...but are there many Scandinavian experts of History and language? It's all about working hard at what you're passionate about :smile:
Original post by Blazar
Sexual orientation is genetic, so why would you challenge it and not other genetic factors?

Well hair colour and height are physical genetical factors.
Homosexuality is more of a mental factor with only the ones with female tendencies sticking out.
Original post by MSI_10
''Love'' in the romantic sense is based on looks and sex and nothing else. E.g. if you date someone of the opposite gender and say, they look completely different overnight (specifically, turn into what you deem ugly) then truth is, you're gonna want to look for reasons to break up at some point down the line.

Highly and demonstratively disagree.
Lol at all the secretly homophobic people COMING OUT in this thread.

:mmm:
Reply 438
The EU should become a true federation, with an elected president and government.

Not a centralised single state, that would be ineffective - it should be a close federation like the states of the USA.
Reply 439
- Euthanasia should be made legal
- The monarchy should be abolished (I'll concede that it does have some benefits, but I think it has more drawbacks than benefits)
- Not everyone should have the right to vote
- The benefits system should be stricter
- People should have to pay directly for their healthcare if they could have prevented it. (Eg, someone needs their stomach pumped due to excessive drinking)

Just the ones off the top of my head.

Latest