Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So using 'I' and 'We' as far as I have been taught is a no no in essay writing.

At what times is it appropriate to use 'we' ?

I ask because I am writing an essay now, what I have done is mention some statistics (2 sets of)...what I want to do is carry on from this by saying something along the lines of ...."from this we can see that...."

Is this okay in this context? To me it seems okay as it is not entirely 1st person, but just a fitting word or way to sum up what the statistics show.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem with using we in this context if it's your data but you could use one instead to make it more formal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBU2004)
    So using 'I' and 'We' as far as I have been taught is a no no in essay writing.

At what times is it appropriate to use 'we' ?

I ask because I am writing an essay now, what I have done is mention some statistics (2 sets of)...what I want to do is carry on from this by saying something along the lines of ...."from this we can see that...."

Is this okay in this context? To me it seems okay as it is not entirely 1st person, but just a fitting word or way to sum up what the statistics show.
    It's fine, but if you wanted to make it more formal, you could say "...from this, it can be seen that..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH0405)
    It's fine, but if you wanted to make it more formal, you could say "...from this, it can be seen that..."
    YES! I was trying to think of an alternative but I could not muster one up. I will use that, thanks!

Been working on this since 10am so my mind isn't at full power this late lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBU2004)
    YES! I was trying to think of an alternative but I could not muster one up. I will use that, thanks!

Been working on this since 10am so my mind isn't at full power this late lol!
    Haha You're welcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.