Turn on thread page Beta

'Men Shouldn't hit women' - Does anyone believe in this sexist notion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here believe that men shouldn't hit women no matter the circumstances? (i.e she hits him first/ provokes him to an extent that anyone may hit someone). I'm interested in people's opinions (particularly those which believe this is a rule which should be adhered to).
    Note: I don't believe people should hit each other as a rule, regardless of gender and am very annoyed/shocked when I hear people say the phrase in the thread title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklevisionary)
    Does anyone here believe that men shouldn't hit women no matter the circumstances? (i.e she hits him first/ provokes him to an extent that anyone may hit someone). I'm interested in people's opinions (particularly those which believe this is a rule which should be adhered to).
    Note: I don't believe people should hit each other as a rule, regardless of gender and am very annoyed/shocked when I hear people say the phrase in the thread title.
    I believe that "Men should not hit women" is a subset of the rule "No one should hit anyone", yes.

ReputationRep:
    If a woman actually dared to hit you first, she probably didn't respect you to begin with...

I'm being totally serious, whenever you see guys in the street having a "row" with a woman, you know they are simply not in control of their relationships

ReputationRep:
    Men and women are equal, if a woman attacks a man they have the right to defend themselves with due force. Just as they would if a man attacked them.

ReputationRep:
    Men should not hit women unless in self defence and that doesn't justify women to hit men either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    If a woman actually dared to hit you first, she probably didn't respect you to begin with...

I'm being totally serious, whenever you see guys in the street having a "row" with a woman, you know they are simply not in control of their relationships
    Wow. I pity the women who you might have a relationship with.

What about children then, are they allowed to hit women?

ReputationRep:
    Why do people seem to want to hit each other? Use reasonable force if someone is hitting you, and leave everyone else alone! (Unless someone asks you to spank them, of course).

ReputationRep:
    As men are physically stronger, when a women is hit then she is more likely to be incapable getting away or defending herself than a man would be if the same amount of physical strength was applied to him- hence the same amount of violence would leave a woman in a more vulnerable position.

Having said that, I think it is a very sexist phrase particularly when applied to situations of self-defense. No-one should hit anyone (I hate it when people think it is acceptable for women to hit men or claim that "he deserved it" which is equally sexist). With the above logic, a correct phrase would be "pick on someone your own size" as a similar situation would occur if the genders were the same but one person was smaller/physically weaker than the other. So yeah, don't use the phrase. Don't hit people. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    I WILL BEAT any one who crosses my lines.

gender blind.

feminism can **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is inescapable that excluding a weapon being used, a woman is generally going to cause less physical harm hitting a man than the other way around, so if you're a pretty big built guy you need to take that into account when replying to a hit with one of your own, but bar that no I don't believe it. I wouldn't hit back as my first reaction, but I wouldn't with a guy, it would be WTF are you doing?! But if they're clearly going to try it again then a smack to subdue if you can't grapple them is fine.

ReputationRep:
    If women hit men then men hit women. Fair's fair. In an ideal world, nobody would hit anybody but it's not an ideal world.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    I hit a guy in school once, and he hit me right back. No chill

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that people should hit each other, but if a girl hits a guy she should expect to be hit back. It's equality really because if a guy hit a girl you would expect her to hit him back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A man shouldn't hit a woman just as much as a woman shouldn't hit a man
    Anyone who uses that as an excuse to hit a man is sexist towards men.
    You can't have equality only when its beneficial. Its a 2 way street

ReputationRep:
    I don't take pleasure in hitting people who aren't as strong as me, i don't hit kids due to the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    No one should hit anyone, but if a woman commenced a fight with intention to injure, I honestly think it is fair for the man to hit her back, especially if it's in self defence. That's what equality is all about.

ReputationRep:
    Only in self defence and if the force is proportional.

ReputationRep:
    It really cringes me out to watch old TV/film where a woman slaps a man during an argument. So unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I would hit anyone back if they were out to injure me. To not hit a woman back solely because she is female is sexist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.