Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do we mean by 'normal people' in society? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What characteristics would you guys say makes someone 'normal' in terms of society?

I was having a chat with my grandma a couple of weeks ago and she said something which I really didn't agree with and was quite annoyed about but I didn't wanna say anything to her. I went through a hard time towards the end of last year, was in a state of depression, and my gran said that I need to try very hard now to become 'normal' again as if that being in that state of mind is not normal and I really disagree with that view.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Its not in the strici sense.
    Normality depdnds on the condition involved.
    Imho, youre being too sensitive and readong things into little....anf scolding your own grandma who is not just old or out of touch....
    In the strict sense its not normal.....this why psychiatry exists..

ReputationRep:
    Normal? Let's see... you go to school and get gcse's, you have a career when you're 30, you know how to talk to people, you have a Facebook account, you break up at least five times before you get married, your children are at least 10 when you start saving up for a pension

ReputationRep:
    There does seem to be this bizarre notion in modern society that to be normal you should be "happy" at all times, shun the unpleasant and seek pleasure, as though constant happiness is somehow natural, which it is not. Life isn't always a smooth ride, and the human body has a range of natural emotional responses designed to help us deal with the various situations life throws at us. Depression is one such emotion, there is nothing abnormal about it and it exists for a reason, it's our body's way of telling us that there is something wrong in our lives that needs to be dealt with.

There are some exceptions of course, sometimes depression can manifest itself for seemingly no reason, bi-polar disorder for example. I guess in those cases you could consider it abnormal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Hey,

What characteristics would you guys say makes someone 'normal' in terms of society?

I was having a chat with my grandma a couple of weeks ago and she said something which I really didn't agree with and was quite annoyed about but I didn't wanna say anything to her. I went through a hard time towards the end of last year, was in a state of depression, and my gran said that I need to try very hard now to become 'normal' again as if that being in that state of mind is not normal and I really disagree with that view.

Thank you
    People that follow the status quo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    There does seem to be this bizarre notion in modern society that to be normal you should be "happy" at all times, shun the unpleasant and seek pleasure, as though constant happiness is somehow natural, which it is not. Life isn't always a smooth ride, and the human body has a range of natural emotional responses designed to help us deal with the various situations life throws at us. Depression is one such emotion, there is nothing abnormal about it and it exists for a reason, it's our body's way of telling us that there is something wrong in our lives that needs to be dealt with.

There are some exceptions of course, sometimes depression can manifest itself for seemingly no reason, bi-polar disorder for example. I guess in those cases you could consider it abnormal.
    there is a difference between sadness and depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamix.forllz)
    there is a difference between sadness and depression.
    I have gone through enough bouts of depression of my own to know that.

ReputationRep:
    And you didnt assert that but whatever...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.