Farewell to Total War...

Watch
Mick.w
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
2013 September Saw the Arrival of what is widely agreed as the first large epic fail of a game from total war. Total War: Rome II

We were all hoping that maybe this was just a stumble. But sadly it seems that Total War is lost forever. They have not learned fro their mistakes at all.

They have sold out. They've flushed quality down the toilet for the sake of profit like many before them. Many thought Total War was the last bastion of hope. However it seems nothing is sacred.

it took a year for Creative Assembly to fix the issues with Rome II. But rather than release a free patch or update as an apology for screwing those loyal enough to buy before they try. They have merely charged more money by releasing the "Emperor Edition" of the game.
So they sell us a beta version of the game, don't update it for free and have the cheek to charge us again for the finished product claiming its a "new edition"

So after forking out £30 for a game. Do you finally get the full game?
no

theres £59.90 worth of "Downloadable Content" no expansions. just more units and cultures. Their also nice enough to charge you £2 for "blood & gore". something that should essentially a box you can tick on or off in the options menu.

I mean really from the mods I saw for Medieval II, I do start to think that the fans are better at making this game than Creative Assembly are.

Rome II got very good sales. but they were off of the back of how good shogun 2 was and due to the fact that pretty much every gaming journalist lied and said it was amazing. So it was left up to independent reviewers on the internet and youtube to expose the truth of how bad it was. however by then it was too late. many had already dished out their cash only to be robbed more and more to get a gaming experience that as still poorer than what they got for cheaper in times gone by.

There has been outcry at how bad it was. They have improved. but people still aren't really happy with it. Not only this but even if it was 100% fixed and sorted, consumer confidence has been severely damaged.

you would think Total War would have listened to the feedback.

But now my heart has sank after seeing what is happening with their new release
Total War: Attila

Saw the teaser and got really excited.

But then I saw the screen shots. It looks just like Rome II

I've spliced up two Attila pics with two Rome II pics and it just looks like different factions from the same game.

Now I was thinking ok is this like... an expansion? Like Rome: Barbarian Invasions was for Total War: Rome?

Or maybe its like a very independent expansion just like Napoleon was for Total War: Empires.

But no. they are selling this... as a new... standalone game....

Its basically an expansion...

but they're gonna what... just charge full price it?

oh and then look. Preorder and you get the vikings culture pack for free!

so you mean... you've got content. but your removing it to punish people who don't buy blindly? to what reward loyalty? or idiocy?

Pay full price for what will no doubt be a game no more complete than a beta version, then wait a year later for most but not all of those issues to be ironed out, then you can actually be able to buy two thirds of a video game and then pay double the price you paid off the bat to get the rest of the factions and content.

I remember games like tekken 3 where you had extra bonus stuff thrown in for free like the beach volly ball version, plus cool hidden characters like Gon and Doctor Bosconovitch.

seems Creative Assembly ain't learning or listening... They're selling the soul of Total War...
Farewell Total War...
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mick.w)
2013 September Saw the Arrival of what is widely agreed as the first large epic fail of a game from total war. Total War: Rome II

We were all hoping that maybe this was just a stumble. But sadly it seems that Total War is lost forever. They have not learned fro their mistakes at all.

They have sold out. They've flushed quality down the toilet for the sake of profit like many before them. Many thought Total War was the last bastion of hope. However it seems nothing is sacred.

it took a year for Creative Assembly to fix the issues with Rome II. But rather than release a free patch or update as an apology for screwing those loyal enough to buy before they try. They have merely charged more money by releasing the "Emperor Edition" of the game.
So they sell us a beta version of the game, don't update it for free and have the cheek to charge us again for the finished product claiming its a "new edition"

So after forking out £30 for a game. Do you finally get the full game?
no

theres £59.90 worth of "Downloadable Content" no expansions. just more units and cultures. Their also nice enough to charge you £2 for "blood & gore". something that should essentially a box you can tick on or off in the options menu.
You been in a coma for half a decade (at least) or something?
Heard about train simulator? £25 game, almost £3k of DLC.
Or more tame and mainstream, Sims (3 specifically) £25, £330 of DLC
Sims 4, well, we're yet to see how bad that will be
And it's not even like without the culture packs you will run out of things to do, don't like it, don't buy em.

I mean really from the mods I saw for Medieval II, I do start to think that the fans are better at making this game than Creative Assembly are.

Rome II got very good sales. but they were off of the back of how good shogun 2 was and due to the fact that pretty much every gaming journalist lied and said it was amazing. So it was left up to independent reviewers on the internet and youtube to expose the truth of how bad it was. however by then it was too late. many had already dished out their cash only to be robbed more and more to get a gaming experience that as still poorer than what they got for cheaper in times gone by.

There has been outcry at how bad it was. They have improved. but people still aren't really happy with it. Not only this but even if it was 100% fixed and sorted, consumer confidence has been severely damaged.

you would think Total War would have listened to the feedback.

But now my heart has sank after seeing what is happening with their new release
Total War: Attila

Saw the teaser and got really excited.

But then I saw the screen shots. It looks just like Rome II
Because, you know, it is? It is, after all, basically the fall of the empire+new mechanics, just like Imperator Augustus is with the collapse of the republic, except not free because they're done saying "sorry for the bad launch" and because there's likely to be a lot more new content while Augustus didn't have as much. No, it's probably not going to be worth getting at full price, especially if you already have Rome II, but in many respects it's like saying "Rome II looks just like Rome [with touched up graphics]"

I've spliced up two Attila pics with two Rome II pics and it just looks like different factions from the same game.

Now I was thinking ok is this like... an expansion? Like Rome: Barbarian Invasions was for Total War: Rome?

Or maybe its like a very independent expansion just like Napoleon was for Total War: Empires.

But no. they are selling this... as a new... standalone game....

Its basically an expansion...

but they're gonna what... just charge full price it?
You mean like Napoleon?

oh and then look. Preorder and you get the vikings culture pack for free!
You mean just like Rome II did itself?

so you mean... you've got content. but your removing it to punish people who don't buy blindly? to what reward loyalty? or idiocy?
As I said, you been in a coma for years or something?

Pay full price for what will no doubt be a game no more complete than a beta version, then wait a year later for most but not all of those issues to be ironed out, then you can actually be able to buy two thirds of a video game and then pay double the price you paid off the bat to get the rest of the factions and content.

I remember games like tekken 3 where you had extra bonus stuff thrown in for free like the beach volly ball version, plus cool hidden characters like Gon and Doctor Bosconovitch.

seems Creative Assembly ain't learning or listening... They're selling the soul of Total War...
Farewell Total War...
Then don't buy it.
Mick.w
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
You been in a coma for half a decade (at least) or something?
Heard about train simulator? £25 game, almost £3k of DLC.
Or more tame and mainstream, Sims (3 specifically) £25, £330 of DLC
Sims 4, well, we're yet to see how bad that will be
And it's not even like without the culture packs you will run out of things to do, don't like it, don't buy em.
i was complaining about total war sinking to the same level as EA. and train simulator is a bit of an oddity in gaming.

Because, you know, it is? It is, after all, basically the fall of the empire+new mechanics, just like Imperator Augustus is with the collapse of the republic, except not free because they're done saying "sorry for the bad launch"
I said its basically an expansion. i didnt expect the expansion to be free.

and because there's likely to be a lot more new content while Augustus didn't have as much. No, it's probably not going to be worth getting at full price, especially if you already have Rome II, but in many respects it's like saying "Rome II looks just like Rome [with touched up graphics]"
no its not like saying Rome II looks just like Rome with touched up graphics.

You mean like Napoleon?
Yes. that was the point. but they are intead saying its a stand alone game in the series.

You mean just like Rome II did itself?
yes lol. hence them continuing to not learn...

As I said, you been in a coma for years or something?
did i say im unware of this happening with other game series? no. i clearly said at the beginning that Total War were suppose to be the good guys who didn't sell out the game experience for more sales

Then don't buy it.
great... thanks for the input
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Short version please.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Mick.w;53171337]i was complaining about total war sinking to the same level as EA. and train simulator is a bit of an oddity in gaming.
you mean "stinking to the same levels as most of the industry"

[quoteI said its basically an expansion. i didnt expect the expansion to be free.
so where's the problem?

no its not like saying Rome II looks just like Rome with touched up graphics.
Well, it is. You're taking offense to an expansion, which while maybe not taking the full expense of a fully fledged, original game is of the quality of one, is probably going to be the quality of one, and the length of one. Much like the difference between Rome and Rome II is a graphical improvement (which is largely irrelevant to the game-play and merely a reflection of the massive increase in power over the years #PCMR) and a change in mechanics, even if Rome->Rome II is much more significant than Rome II->Attila

Yes. that was the point. but they are instead saying its a stand alone game in the series.
you mean like Napoleon?

yes lol. hence them continuing to not learn...
All they're doing is reflecting on the shift in the market as a whole

did i say im unaware of this happening with other game series? no. i clearly said at the beginning that Total War were suppose to be the good guys who didn't sell out the game experience for more sales[
What are creative Assembly there to do? Make a profit, the bigger the better. Shifting with the market does just that.

great... thanks for the input
What else is there to say?

(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Short version please.
Rargh, creative assembly is all about making money. Rargh, I disapporove of the way the industry is going. Rargh *insert rage*

In general, applologies for any general poor grammar/sleeping/coherence, I'm rather wasted.
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Short version please.
The new total war game is continuing the modern day videogame trend of screwing over customers and someone's either playing devils advocate or is a bona fide bottom inspector.
Fango_Jett
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was really irritated with some of the decisions CA made with Rome 2. I don't think it was a complete sellout, but it definitely was one of the weakest games in the TW series.

Wasn't the emperor edition given out for free for everyone who bought the game? I'm not sure what you are going on about there.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
dissapointing.. was a fan of the serries - brought medival total war and rome when they came out, as a teenager and realy enjoyed them..

Few years back I brought shogun 2 and some of the others... also enjoyed them.

But the DLC trend for games really leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I dont think I could buy a game that felt like it was missing parts on first purchase..

Ofcourse its not a problem that is inherantly related to DLC - I like DLC, and expansions before that.. If they provide new content, that was developed after the game was released, does not add a paywall to victory, and provides value for money.. then great!

Same goes with F2P games.. they can be really effective when done well, and are actually consumer friendly.. a good F2P game allows players to contribute how much they see fit.. someone who does not like the game pays nothing.. but someone who loves it can spend a fortune..

-- Its just the way these two systems are being used that annoys me so much. I really do think customers will start to realise this soon though. with a few major games companies struggling now, and controversy on the release of so so many major games.. I really do think things will improve.
Al-farhan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fango_Jett)
I was really irritated with some of the decisions CA made with Rome 2. I don't think it was a complete sellout, but it definitely was one of the weakest games in the TW series.

Wasn't the emperor edition given out for free for everyone who bought the game? I'm not sure what you are going on about there.
EE was a cop out way of apologising.
But they haven't learnt their lesson as seen with Attila.
More disappointment to come.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads