Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First off let me start off by giving you guys some context to put you in my shoes for a moment... It all started with a young naive male picking his A-levels and after deciding to pick "Computing" I attended the first class, with still such a fresh mind to the subject of Computer Science I noticed no imperfections with my teachers so called teaching ability and continued on with the year however after around half the year I began to notice that the vast majority of my class was obtaining no higher than a D including me in assessment points and began to get a little worried that perhaps a change from ICT and Computing was to much for my teacher to deal with on an intellectual level so i complained like any normal person would along with every person in my class which resulted in the inevitable telling me of "we will speak to her to try and find a way to resolve this problem" and then nothing... we tried to repeat this process several times and eventually it was to late and our AS exams were finished. RESULTS DAY! I go to the computing gang to compare and guess what... The classes grades went accordingly: B, B, C, D (me), U, U, U, U, U. Now I'm studying A2 along with one person who got a B last year and received an unconditional from his first choice so now doesn't even come to lesson. I need help with the content, my code is broke and my teacher doesn't no how to program... I'M ****ED!. If anyone has like revision websites, suggestions or anything related that would be ever so kind, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeKyleRemzi)
    First off let me start off by giving you guys some context to put you in my shoes for a moment... It all started with a young naive male picking his A-levels and after deciding to pick "Computing" I attended the first class, with still such a fresh mind to the subject of Computer Science I noticed no imperfections with my teachers so called teaching ability and continued on with the year however after around half the year I began to notice that the vast majority of my class was obtaining no higher than a D including me in assessment points and began to get a little worried that perhaps a change from ICT and Computing was to much for my teacher to deal with on an intellectual level so i complained like any normal person would along with every person in my class which resulted in the inevitable telling me of "we will speak to her to try and find a way to resolve this problem" and then nothing... we tried to repeat this process several times and eventually it was to late and our AS exams were finished. RESULTS DAY! I go to the computing gang to compare and guess what... The classes grades went accordingly: B, B, C, D (me), U, U, U, U, U. Now I'm studying A2 along with one person who got a B last year and received an unconditional from his first choice so now doesn't even come to lesson. I need help with the content, my code is broke and my teacher doesn't no how to program... I'M ****ED!. If anyone has like revision websites, suggestions or anything related that would be ever so kind, thanks.
    Hi there, sorry to hear about how your class is being conducted, if you have specific questions about A-level computing/computer science, drop me a PM, I will try to answer any questions you have.

ReputationRep:
    What examining board are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reety)
    What examining board are you doing?
    AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeKyleRemzi)
    AQA
    Does that vary from OCR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reety)
    Does that vary from OCR?
    perhaps slightly but im sure the majority of content will be the same.
    Topics for example:
    Loops, ByVal, ByRef, Translators, Finite state machines, Binary, Hex, Sound wave conversion, Laws of computing, hardware, networking, vector and bmp images. I could go on but that should be enough to get a rough sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trippyninja12)
    Man the **** up, and learn to program. My (GCSE) CS teacher is qualified in project management, and isn't the best at programming; I've taught myself to program, watched videos, and more. Practice at home, not just at sixth form, I've practiced Java, C++, C#, HTML, CSS, SASS, JS and more, all from the comfort of my own home. I developed an application in Java, whilst everyone else just barely managed to develop the same program in Python. Once you show your teacher that you can code, you'll gain more respect. My CS teacher(s) now give me their old university work - and I'm doing GCSEs!

You really need to teach yourself at home, coding isn't taught in the classroom, it's taught through practice. You can't tell someone how to kickflip on a skateboard, and expect them to do it instantly. The same relates with programming, you can't teach someone what an application is, and expect them to program it instantly. Practice, practice, practice at home, and soon you'll be able to develop without a problem.
    Not to sound rude or anything but it's easy to tell someone to work at home when they are doing there gcse's. Gcse's are a joke compared to as level let alone a2 so save the preaching please i do study at home but alevels are very hard to study at home with a bad teacher or no teacher I can also program in vb.net, java, java script, c#, c++, c, obj-c, python, HTML and CSS but regardless when you hit a problem in programming you need support. You will learn that once your in sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trippyninja12)
    Similarly, not to sound rude, but although I'm doing my GCSEs, I do university work. I've already learnt the whole A-Level syllabus for computing/computer science.

If you can program in all of those languages, then you should easily be able to complete the coursework. Being able to program in those language, fluently - not just saying that you know a language because you can print a command line -, then any A-Level algorithm should be simple enough to figure out.

You're saying that it's hard to learn when you have a "bad teacher", well try having NO teacher. Considering I could complete my A-Level Computer Science right not, if I was given the opportunity, and the fact I program to university standards, you should be able to solve an A-Level problem. I do hope that I don't sound arrogant, but in my eyes, you're stating that your can program in all of these high level languages, but can't solve a problem for a 16/17/18 year old. If you can program in these languages, then you should be able to solve the coursework problems.
    But it's not an Alevel computing problem it's my own course work for computing which i picked myself additionally how does one define a programming problems complexity based on a qualification certificate and if you can program to a so called "university level" then why are you wasting your time on GCSEs when if a students potential is being wasted they would let you do one as level whilst doing your GCSEs in find it highly unlikely they would not recognize this. Regardless my original point remains relevant until you actually take any Alevel exams and experience what it is like to get results that are not what you should have got. Once you have taken one then feel free to preach upon what I'm doing wrong with my subjects nevertheless good luck with your GCSEs....

ReputationRep:
    First of all no school in the land has the right to tell you, you can not take a course if you have the potential because all in all they are a exam centre and if you have learnt the whole of the CS syllabus already which you repeatedly mentioned above there should be no reason for you to need a tutor tell them to have you an exam paper under controlled conditions and if you get a pass at minimum then you should be able to use the school as an exam centre for subjects not being taught to you. Secondly when referring to computer science course work there is no specification for the complexity of a problem you decide to diagnose thats why studying computer science is so amazing it has no creative boundary although of course the systems life cycle process will be far more simpler for GCSE the complexity of the problem is initially up the individual. Furthermore GCSE computing in general is not just a little easier its easier by miles and how i know this is i spent six weeks teaching a GCSE class on behalf of my school for a program called Teachers4Tomorrow however just to make things clear i have no doubt that you do have the potential to complete a-level work whilst sitting GCSE's but learning an A-level and sitting an A-level and too initially different experiences.

ReputationRep:
    No offence "trippyninja12", but you're actually full of ****. You say you've learned the whole of the A-Level syllabus, while doing your teachers' old university work? Unless your name is Stephen Hawking, I don't believe you for a second. And of course, you casually learn 3 different, high level programming languages along with HTML and CSS yet your teachers wont allow you the opportunity to do your A-Level exam early? Maybe you should take your own advice and show them that you can code, gain this so called respect. Unless of course you're lying through your teeth.

Besides, why do you need an A-level tutor if you have learned the whole syllabus to the tee? Something tells me the teachers don't trust you very much to get an acceptable grade in A-level computer science. Seeing as how you recently posted that you're only getting B's in your GCSE's, maybe try focusing on those instead of trying to extend your e-peen on a student forum.

Stay frosty Harry

edit: and dont you even dare compare GCSE's to A-Levels, its a whole different ballgame

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.