Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gas issue - Dad left the gas on in cooker watch

    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Basically very little noise and I was dizzy upstairs after a nap. I was walking around the kitchen for a bit and I heart a little whimpering from the cooker, turns out the gas was not closed and the whole house was filled with gas. Of course with modern natural gas I don't think it has a scent. I opened the windows and closed the thing for a whlle , it is now just the house that stinks of gas. Actually quite afraid of these things.

    I know that there can only be carbon monoxide produced if there is a lack of oxygen. However there could have been an explosion.


    Such bull****, I wish people took more care. I was so angry and afraid. It was open for hours. Is there any precautions I should take to avoid anything that could kill everyone in the house?
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    Yeah don't switch anything electric on cos of any potential electric spark. Open all windows. Gas does have a smell btw. And u only get carbon monoxide in incomplete combustion but I am assuming you just left the gas on not a fire? Plus if it was carbon monoxide u wld just go unconscious and die ur body wld not wake at all because CO basically hoggs all the red blood cells and unlike co2 that is exchanged for oxygen in ur lungs the co stays attached to the red blood cells meaning that with each breath u take less oxygen until u die. If u are really worried just make everyone leave the house and calk the fire brigade or something. Good luck.
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    Sorry just re reading that I think I sounded a bit blunt. But u will be completely fine if you just air it all out.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    Have you said this to your father? :rolleyes:

    If you've switched it off and windows have been opened, it's more than enough. Now go to bed.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinababy)
    Yeah don't switch anything electric on cos of any potential electric spark. Open all windows. Gas does have a smell btw. And u only get carbon monoxide in incomplete combustion but I am assuming you just left the gas on not a fire? Plus if it was carbon monoxide u wld just go unconscious and die ur body wld not wake at all because CO basically hoggs all the red blood cells and unlike co2 that is exchanged for oxygen in ur lungs the co stays attached to the red blood cells meaning that with each breath u take less oxygen until u die. If u are really worried just make everyone leave the house and calk the fire brigade or something. Good luck.

    I think it's fine now, thank God I spotted it and that I have such a big appetite. Got to admit, carbon monoxide scares the life out of me.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Have you said this to your father? :rolleyes:

    If you've switched it off and windows have been opened, it's more than enough. Now go to bed.

    Yeah , I woke him up and called him out on it. Very pissed off, I feel dizzy.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Yeah , I woke him up and called him out on it. Very pissed off, I feel dizzy.
    Still? how much did you inhale? is it definitely switched off?

    *Sniffs*
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Yeah , I woke him up and called him out on it. Very pissed off, I feel dizzy.
    Yikes. Remember when my nan did this, I can relate. It's a surreal thought to think you were a strike of a match, or the lighting of a cigarette away from a gas explosion...

    Mind you, that's a glass half empty if I ever saw one.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Still? how much did you inhale? is it definitely switched off?

    *Sniffs*

    Enough to kill a smaller man.
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    I think it's fine now, thank God I spotted it and that I have such a big appetite. Got to admit, carbon monoxide scares the life out of me.
    Haha yeah well you were lucky that u woke up... I can sleep through anything even a burglar or fire alarm which I've done loads of times. I am **** scared of CO as well I think its an awful way to die. I'm glad its all ok tho still advisable to have a chat with ur dad about it cos it was very dangerous.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinababy)
    Haha yeah well you were lucky that u woke up... I can sleep through anything even a burglar or fire alarm which I've done loads of times. I am **** scared of CO as well I think its an awful way to die. I'm glad its all ok tho still advisable to have a chat with ur dad about it cos it was very dangerous.

    Yeah, just given me a fresh perspective on life, I could have died. I want to do some messed up crazy YOLO **** now.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Enough to kill a smaller man.
    Be thankful you're not small.
    Offline

    12
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Yeah, just given me a fresh perspective on life, I could have died. I want to do some messed up crazy YOLO **** now.
    Hahaha really?! If that happened to me id be like rocking forwards and backwards from the trauma of nearly dying good luck with the yolo **** tho what do u have in mind? Getting high on helium? Laughing gas? Haha sorry probs a bit inappropriate
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    my dad bought a monitor that reads the levels of carbon monoxide in the kitchen. perhaps you should do the same.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinababy)
    Hahaha really?! If that happened to me id be like rocking forwards and backwards from the trauma of nearly dying good luck with the yolo **** tho what do u have in mind? Getting high on helium? Laughing gas? Haha sorry probs a bit inappropriate
    I have nearly died enough times already to know that i'm nearing the end of my nine lives.

    In short, make a lot of love and happiness happen.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    my dad bought a monitor that reads the levels of carbon monoxide in the kitchen. perhaps you should do the same.

    Fire alarm did not go off, strange.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Fire alarm did not go off, strange.
    not really. fire alarms dont detect carbon monoxide.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    not really. fire alarms dont detect carbon monoxide.
    You're right, going to buy myself a carbon monoxide detector.
    Offline

    17
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    You're right, going to buy myself a carbon monoxide detector.
    good idea :yy:

    this is my one

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-Batter...oxide+detector

    but there are cheaper options.
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    A carbon monoxide scare is awful, thank God you and your family are okay.
 
 
 
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.