Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is being suspended from school a harsh enough punishment for theft? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Someone at school in the year above me (in year 11) stole my ipod last week. He was caught on cctv going threw my bag and taking it out. He then sold it to another for £10!!! They both got suspended but considering he committed a crime I don't see why he wasn't expelled or asked to leave. Is a suspension harsh enough for this or do you think he should have been expelled? My parents declined to have the police involved as the ipod was returned to me and they felt that the school would punish him approprietlly. He will be back on Tuesday I think.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Theres really nothing else the school can do. Expelling an under 16 year old in a state school is neigh impossible. The school wont get the police involved but your family could potentially attempt to press charges but again at <16 kids can get away with murder lol.

ReputationRep:
    At any age people can get away with anything. Let's not just assume it's kids that get away with theft.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not, it's blatant theft, I'de try and get the police involved tbh, but why did you have an Ipad with you going to school? That would never have worked when I was going to school. Would have got broken if it didn't get stolen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Obviously not, it's blatant theft, I'de try and get the police involved tbh, but why did you have an Ipad with you going to school? That would never have worked when I was going to school. Would have got broken if it didn't get stolen.
    It was an ipod touch not an ipad. I use it to listen to music when I am on the train. I keep it in my bag so it doesn't get broken or stolen. However I left my bag unattended in the library over lunch...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorRed)
    It was an ipod touch not an ipad. I use it to listen to music when I am on the train. I keep it in my bag so it doesn't get broken or stolen. However I left my bag unattended in the library over lunch...
    Oh sorry, apparently I can't read, my mistake

An ipod makes a lot more sense.

That's an unfortunate scenario. Did you know, as in were "friendly" with the person who took it?

ReputationRep:
    Harsh enough if it was the first time. It will be on his record, so if he does it again, or repeatedly, they will be more severe.

Going through someone's bag is pretty ****ty, but expelling him in year 11 could seriously affect his life. They will want to avoid that if possible. A school has a duty to all its pupils - unless it's a private school, it can't just get rid of the undesirables, unless they're a serious threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    Oh sorry, apparently I can't read, my mistake

An ipod makes a lot more sense.

That's an unfortunate scenario. Did you know, as in were "friendly" with the person who took it?
    Not with the person who took it. He seemed to be a bit of a bully so have always kept away from him. The person who brought of him I knew form photography club and while I wouldn't have described him as a friend he was always very nice to me. The ipod had my name engraved in it so be can't say he didn't know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.