Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey to anyone who happens to be reading this!

An Introduction To Me!

Okay, so my name is Bryony and I am a 16 year old girl, and I am currently in year 12. As well as school I also play a lot of sport and am a member of GirlGuiding; I am also an avid baker, so sometimes I struggle with time-management. Hopefully this competition will help me with this.

My Current Grades!

My current grades definitely aren't the best, and my mocks proved this to me and have motivated me to work even harder to get the grades that I want to in may. I have 4 and a half months to turn this around and I will.

I am studying 4 subjects:

Maths (both AS and A2 in one year with further maths next year)
    Chemistry
    Physics
    and Economics

I recently did my mocks and received grades that I am definitely not happy with; they were:

C2: D
    C3: U
    S1: U (however did not revise for this)
    Chemistry Unit 1: C
    Physics Unit 1: D
    Microeconomics: C
    Macroeconomics: E (ran out of time on the essay)

My Target Grades!

My target grades may seem ambitious but I am 100% determined to reach them despite my confidence hit.

Maths: A at AS with an A* at A2 (this year)- Edexcel
    Physics: A at AS- AQA
    Chemistry: A at AS- Edexcel
    Economics: A at AS- OCR

The Future!

In the future I want to study engineering (however not completely sure what sort as of yet!). Taking a look at University Entrance Grades they range from A*A*Aa to AAB. This has helped to motivate me as I know that if I want to go into this sector I will have to work hard to get the grades!

Thank You to anyone who has bothered to enter my little corner of TSR and I hope to keep you updated on how I am doing in my challenge which I am calling: The Grade Turn Around. My aim is to update this blog daily with what I'm revising and how I'm getting on with everything in general as I think that having to post on the internet what I have revised will be motivation enough as the last thing I want to do is have to post "Done no revision today" for anyone to read!

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonyG98)
    Hey to anyone who happens to be reading this!

An Introduction To Me!

Okay, so my name is Bryony and I am a 16 year old girl, and I am currently in year 12. As well as school I also play a lot of sport and am a member of GirlGuiding; I am also an avid baker, so sometimes I struggle with time-management. Hopefully this competition will help me with this.

My Current Grades!

My current grades definitely aren't the best, and my mocks proved this to me and have motivated me to work even harder to get the grades that I want to in may. I have 4 and a half months to turn this around and I will.

I am studying 4 subjects:

Maths (both AS and A2 in one year with further maths next year)
    Chemistry
    Physics
    and Economics

I recently did my mocks and received grades that I am definitely not happy with; they were:

C2: D
    C3: U
    S1: U (however did not revise for this)
    Chemistry Unit 1: C
    Physics Unit 1: D
    Microeconomics: C
    Macroeconomics: E (ran out of time on the essay)

My Target Grades!

My target grades may seem ambitious but I am 100% determined to reach them despite my confidence hit.

Maths: A at AS with an A* at A2 (this year)- Edexcel
    Physics: A at AS- AQA
    Chemistry: A at AS- Edexcel
    Economics: A at AS- OCR

The Future!

In the future I want to study engineering (however not completely sure what sort as of yet!). Taking a look at University Entrance Grades they range from A*A*Aa to AAB. This has helped to motivate me as I know that if I want to go into this sector I will have to work hard to get the grades!

Thank You to anyone who has bothered to enter my little corner of TSR and I hope to keep you updated on how I am doing in my challenge which I am calling: The Grade Turn Around. My aim is to update this blog daily with what I'm revising and how I'm getting on with everything in general as I think that having to post on the internet what I have revised will be motivation enough as the last thing I want to do is have to post "Done no revision today" for anyone to read!

BryonyG (:

Good on you Bryony! You sound very motivated so I'm sure you'll reach your target grades! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la95)
    Good on you Bryony! You sound very motivated so I'm sure you'll reach your target grades! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks (: I know how much work it will be but it will only be for the next few months, then there is summer and then it starts all over again!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Your goals sound great, and your blog is looking awesome so far :awesome:
    Keep it up and let us know how everything goes, we're rooting for you :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Just on a very quick break before heading off to do some C4 work and thought I'd give you guys a quick update

Since my last post I have:

-Created a revision timetable using the Study Planner on here, which took forever but I finally got it to work!

-Done an hour of M1 revision, which consisted of practice questions from an exercise in the textbook.

So all going well so far, but then it is only Day 1, more to do so better be off. The only problem I have found with the "competition" is that I now have a new way to procrastinate! Reading other people's blogs about revision, hopefully that wont last too long!

I will probably end up updating this again later on so speak to you all later!

BryonyG (:

P.S. Thanks Gingerbread101 (: I am going to try and keep on top of it all, which could be a challenge, but I am up for it!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Hey!

Just on a very quick break before heading off to do some C4 work and thought I'd give you guys a quick update

Since my last post I have:

-Created a revision timetable using the Study Planner on here, which took forever but I finally got it to work!

-Done an hour of M1 revision, which consisted of practice questions from an exercise in the textbook.

So all going well so far, but then it is only Day 1, more to do so better be off. The only problem I have found with the "competition" is that I now have a new way to procrastinate! Reading other people's blogs about revision, hopefully that wont last too long!

I will probably end up updating this again later on so speak to you all later!

BryonyG (:

P.S. Thanks Gingerbread101 (: I am going to try and keep on top of it all, which could be a challenge, but I am up for it!
    How did your M1 revision go?
    What else do you have planned for today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    How did your M1 revision go?
    What else do you have planned for today?
    M1 went well, got every question I did right, even if I took my time and had to do something a more complicated way that necessary (:

Planned for later today:

-Binomial stuff in C4

-More Binomial stuff in S2 (ahh the joys of Binomials, the bane of my life in additional maths, still there now...)

-and finally, some Chapter 1 of C3, no idea what it is yet but I am pretty sure I need to revise the whole of that book so no harm can come from doing it! I will probably do the Mixed Exercise and then see where I am going wrong and go back to that exercise in the chapter... that usually helps!

Oh and watching this week's episode of Castle, but that isn't exactly revision related!

BryonyG (:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    M1 went well, got every question I did right, even if I took my time and had to do something a more complicated way that necessary (:

Planned for later today:

-Binomial stuff in C4

-More Binomial stuff in S2 (ahh the joys of Binomials, the bane of my life in additional maths, still there now...)

-and finally, some Chapter 1 of C3, no idea what it is yet but I am pretty sure I need to revise the whole of that book so no harm can come from doing it! I will probably do the Mixed Exercise and then see where I am going wrong and go back to that exercise in the chapter... that usually helps!

Oh and watching this week's episode of Castle, but that isn't exactly revision related!

BryonyG (:
    Great job, keep it up :woo:
    Now get off and revise!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am back once again!

Having done some more revision as well, C4 this time and a tiny bit of S2 however I am feeling quite ill, thinking of going to bed and hoping to sleep it off.

C4 went okay in fact as both were binomial both went okay but I really hate the topic and struggle with it so I think I might have to go over the topic quite a few more times... I don't know why I struggle with it though because it is relatively simple but time consuming.

Anyway, a rather ill Bryony signing off the night

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    If you're revising for a subject which will have many key terms (ie Chemistry), then it might be helpful to list all of your key terms that you'll need to remember, and then use the 'stacking' method of memorization. It should prove to be very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am feeling a lot better today, clearly sleep worked! Long day at school today with no frees... and virtually no lunch break or break. Oh the joys of singing practice and DofE instruction lessons.

Plan for Tonight!

So tonight I aim to do quite a bit of work as I have hockey tomorrow which will mean less tomorrow. So here is my list:

-C4: Continue Chapter 2 (Homework)
    -C4: Continue Mixed Exercise in Chapter 3
    -S2: Chapter 1.4 notes and exercise
    -Physics: Questions at the end of 7.6 (Homework)
    -Chemistry: Questions on page 169 and reading (Homework)
    -Economics: Redo macroeconomics essay (take 3)
    -Economics:Redo the microeconomics question that went horribly wrong in the exam ... got 1/6 marks...
    -Chemistry: Start definition flash cards (+calculations)

-If I have time (which could be doubtful) Statistics: S1 Begin notes

Hopefully at the end of the night I will be able to say that I have done all of this, however I have a feeling I might not be able to... but I will give it a good go.

Replies:

(Original post by Va1iD)
    If you're revising for a subject which will have many key terms (ie Chemistry), then it might be helpful to list all of your key terms that you'll need to remember, and then use the 'stacking' method of memorization. It should prove to be very helpful!
    Thanks for the idea! I will have to try that out!

Going to go and eat some dinner now and then I ought to get started on this humongous (is that the correct spelling) list of things to do!

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey once again!

Well my plan didn't exactly go to plan... I got distracted as per usual but it wasn't my fault and I still got a decent amount of work done. Oh my plan to do:

-C4: Continue Chapter 2 (Homework)
    -C4: Continue Mixed Exercise in Chapter 3
    -S2: Chapter 1.4 notes and exercise
    -Physics: Questions at the end of 7.6 (Homework)
    -Chemistry: Questions on page 169 and reading (Homework)
    -Economics: Redo macroeconomics essay (take 3)

-Economics:Redo the microeconomics question that went horribly wrong in the exam ... got 1/6 marks...
    -Chemistry: Start definition flash cards (+calculations)

-If I have time (which could be doubtful) Statistics: S1 Begin notes

I only did those in red... however, i spent my time going through them and plan to take my C4 work with my to school tomorrow so hopefully I can catch up then.
    If it is any consolation to my brain, I did spend 2 and a half hours doing it... I struggled with the physics so had to read the information quite a lot of times to understand it as my teacher has a habit of setting prep on the work we are about to do, not what we have done. But then I suppose it is PREParation...

Hopefully I will have a more productive time tomorrow...

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Sorry for the lack of an update yesterday, I had hockey training and couldn't get online and I also didn't do much work yesterday because of this... *smacks own wrist*

Difficult Situation

Okay so recently I have been put into a rather difficult situation and I feel that now is the time so share it with the world of TSR and get some opinions.
    So I need a bit of advice as far as what to do. In my school year there are six people doing five subjects; one of which is me; and the head of timetabling keeps a very close eye on us because of this. Recently (because of my mocks) I have been approached about dropping a subject as in his mind there is no need to take five subjects and you should only do so if you are absolutely comfortable doing so. My subjects are Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics, so not exactly a light workload. Since I want to go into engineering it was strongly suggested that I drop economics; however I am thoroughly enjoying economics and feel that it is one of my best subjects and find it relatively easy.

I will be the first to admit that I haven't kept up with Further Maths however I am determined to change this.

I know that my teachers only want what is best for me but I honestly feel as though I am being pressured into dropping I subject that I don't feel I need to, I just need to dedicate more time to maths.

My other problem is that mechanics is obviously more useful in engineering than statistics (as in maths with) however at my school you only study mechanics if you do further maths which was my main reason for taking it.

My maths teacher has also said that it isn't my ability that is lacking, purely my time and he doesn't want me to become depressed or disheartened.

So yeah, I know that was quite long but I hope people will take the time to read it as I really need some advice...

Plan for Tonight

-1hr30mins of maths (been told that that is what I have to do to keep on top of it)
    -1hr revision for chemistry test tomorrow
    -Read through topic 7 for physics and do some exam style questions
    -Draft economics 18 mark essay
    -Chapter 1 S2 if I have time after that!

Any advice would be very welcome regarding my situation (:

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about Engineering courses, however a lot of Universities don't actually require you to have every course on their recommended list. So if you keep maths and then other subjects you'd like. What type of engineering do you think you'll do? Because that makes a lot of difference in what a University will want as subjects.

I think it's a good idea to drop a subject, because 5 is a lot. And to turn your grades around is very hard anyways and to get an A takes time (for most people) and lots of effort. Even if you do study a lot, there might not be enough time for you to physically do it without being exhausted. And that's counterproductive in the end.

However I also got told the same thing a few months ago, except for dropping to 3, and I didn't drop anything, so it depends on whether you think you can do it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past few days, I have been incredibly busy... and here is how everything has been going since my last post.

Thursday!

Nothing much really happened today, other than I talked with my parents regarding the difficult situation (see below for a full update) and got some statistics and maths work done. (2 and a half hours! Felt quite proud of myself)

Friday!

Okay so on Friday, I had a rather manic day;

-I got my chemistry test result back on the first three topics in unit 2 (56/65 ~But really need to work on remembering shapes and bond angles as I got lucky with quite a few of those marks.)
    -Did and got back my physics test on chapter 7 (14/19 however this may change as it was pupil marked and then the teacher goes through it. This would have been higher but our teacher was away for most of chapter 7 and I didn't understand some of it!)
    -Got back a macroeconomics essay (for which I got 4/18 in the exam and got 15/18 which my teacher said was very good as it is difficult to get above 16 marks in them)

-CCF, I am a part of the RAF section of my school's combined cadet force and on Friday we had to walk around in a local wood setting up a navigation exercise for younger cadets to do next Friday, so that took up most of my afternoon!
    -Guides, I am also a member of GirlGuiding and my unit (Senior Section and Guides) meets every Friday evening, so I had this.
    -Had to sort out sending a parcel back as it arrived damaged and apparently no one else in my family is capable of doing it.

So unfortunately, as you can see, I had basically no time to get any work done at all...

Saturday!

Spent the entire morning playing hockey, which we lost 9-0 (I play in goal but was player of the match xD)
    Then had to go shopping to pick up my Granddad's tablet, and buy some stuff for my Gold DofE and food...

All in all I was out all day and then spent the entirety of the evening at my grandparent's house setting up the tablet as none of my family know how to... so once again no work done...

Sunday aka Today!

So this morning I played hockey again (against a university team) and it got to penalty flicks, and unfortunately we lost.
    Also discovered I have broken 3 of my toes which is rather painful, through playing hockey yesterday. Oh the joys.

So I have only just got home and the first thing I decided to do was to update anyone who reads this and then start doing some work, as I have a lot to catch up on!

Update: The Difficult Situation!

Okay, so in the majority of my last post I was talking about a situation that I was finding quite difficult. Since then I have spoken to my parents and we have agreed that I will be keeping 5 subjects until half term, which begins the 14th of February. At the end of half term we will then re-evaluate whether I keep 5 for the rest of the year or not, based on how I do in maths past papers for C1-3 and S1.
    I have also spoken to my economics teachers who have said that we are about 3/4 of the way through the syllabus so there is only a few weeks of teaching left for that anyway, so I may well stick it out and work my socks off to catch up the maths.

Plan for the rest of the day!

My plan for the rest of today is to actually get some work done, but more specifically:

-Draft and Write Macroeconomics Essay
    -Finish Chapter 4 of C4
    -Finish Chapter 1 of S2 (notes and questions)
    -Questions at the end of 8.1 (Physics)
    -Review Chapters 2 and 3 of C4

If I manage to get all of this done, I will add more to make up for the past few nights!

So once again I apologize for failing to update this every day, however I have updated you on what I did every day so that kind of makes up for it, doesn't it? So I had better get back to work *should actually start working*.

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

My apologies, once again it has been a while without a post and I feel quite bad about that but it has been a very busy week.

Current Grades!

As per my latest results sheets my grades have changed! They were posted on February 4th (however I didn't receive them until the 10th)

Chemistry- C
    Economics- A
    Maths- D
    Physics- C

Half Term!

Okay, so it is now half term, and this is going to be the week I really start my revision. I have found recently that a revision timetable is not overly effective for me as I find it too constricting, and I also don't know what plans I have this half term, so instead I am making a checklist. This includes every topic (and sub-topic) of what I am doing for each subject. I think that this will help me as I will be able to see exactly what I have left to revise. I have got to admit, it is slightly daunting as I am only part way through C3 (done C1 and C2) and there are 116 items (I didn't count it is on a spreadsheet)

I plan on doing at least 4 hours a day, more when I can. However I am not sure how long the chunks should be... something else to think about!

Once I have finished a module I will also do an exam practice paper to judge how well I know the information.

Goals for Half Term!

1) Cover all of C1-2 and S1
    2) Make notes and practice questions on Chemistry Unit 1 and Physics Unit 1
    3) Past papers (2?) on the above and mark them
    4) Practice economics essay questions and learn definitions (Flash cards)

I will try and keep you all more updated over half term, and I will be sending my grades to Puddles today for verification!

BryonyG (:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    This post is to confirm that BryonyG98's grades have been verified! :banana::banana2::banana:

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I plan on doing at least 4 hours a day, more when I can. However I am not sure how long the chunks should be... something else to think about!

BryonyG (:
    I recommend short(ish) bursts, so like 30 to 50 minutes straight revision then a 5 to 10 minute break.
    They did a study and apparently our brains can only focus for short periods time.
    😊

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

How is everyone? I have finished my revision checklist, all 488 items... seems like a lot so thought I had better get cracking

Today!

So just a quick update on what has been done today:

-Done 1.1-1.6 of C1, got 100% on all but one exercise where I may 2 silly mistakes (on the same thing) so that went well. Might do some more later if I get time
    -Started some flash cards with economics definitions, I will post a picture when I am done!

I'm about to start work on my Physics project which is on Vehicle Safety and counts towards absolutely nothing!

Hope everyone is well

BryonyG (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

How is everyone? I have finished my revision checklist, all 488 items... seems like a lot so thought I had better get cracking

Today!

So just a quick update on what has been done today:

-Done 1.1-1.6 of C1, got 100% on all but one exercise where I may 2 silly mistakes (on the same thing) so that went well. Might do some more later if I get time
    -Started some flash cards with economics definitions, I will post a picture when I am done!

I'm about to start work on my Physics project which is on Vehicle Safety and counts towards absolutely nothing!

Hope everyone is well

BryonyG (:
    what exercises did you do for chemistry?

Submit reply
Updated: March 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.