Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Encouraged to take mind-altering drugs, bullied by peers and years of unemployment Watch

I was bullied into an undergraduate degree in 2008. I heavily believe the degree was a scam:
    · Non-accredited – badly taught with 15 lecturers for each model resulting in a disjointed teaching, a lecturer put the answers to exam paper on paper itself, 28 hours of lectures per week;
    · Dubious teaching practices – a lecturer said that if I took Ritalin, I would get all As, even though I was getting Ds at the time. Another lecturer told me that all students went into accountancy when that wasn’t the case. Another deluded lecturer said that we teach to master’s level in second year when that wasn’t the case. Another lecturer belittled me for being in a class “ who are way smarter than you will ever be”;
    · Rampant bullying on the course—students attacking each other on Facebook, impenetrable cliques, snapping and humiliating each other, calling each other names, isolation and offensive slurs;
    · Hoards of unemployment – Students working in McDonalds, others taking on further study to compensate.
    Its been almost four years since I graduated from this Biomedical degree at a redbrick and I can’t seem to move on. I want to call the university themselves and make them aware of the scam that is going on under their nose and have my degree removed of the system.
    What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    getting a degree doesn't guarantee you a great job, it's your self and the qualities you can bring to the company, or starting your own company, which does.

(Original post by Joshale)
    getting a degree doesn't guarantee you a great job, it's your self and the qualities you can bring to the company, or starting your own company, which does.
    Yeah I know, but what about the other horrible stuff

ReputationRep:
    Write a book about it; be the next Kafka

(Original post by StarvingAutist)
    Write a book about it; be the next Kafka
    Serious responses please. It may seem trivial to you, but it is evident that I have been deeply affected by it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Its been almost four years since I graduated from this Biomedical degree at a redbrick and I can’t seem to move on. I want to call the university themselves and make them aware of the scam that is going on under their nose and have my degree removed of the system.
    What would you do?
    Your most recent experience is now four years old. The uni will just dismiss your claims as sour grapes. If it was that bad, they will tell you that you should have left, transferred or raised the issues, at the time. There's no way a complaint from a single student would get a degree closed down.

Dwelling on it is clearly not helping. You can't resolve any of the past things you describe at this point, and you can't help anyone on that course now (even if the issues are ongoing, which you don't know). You will meet many levels of incompetence, mendacity and bullying in your life. Uni won't be the last time you experience the things you've described.

What I would do, is leave it and get on with my life. You don't need to take this further with the uni, but you possibly do need some counselling support to help you stop dwelling on it.

ReputationRep:
    Serious responses please. It may seem trivial to you, but it is evident that I have been deeply affected by it
    Well, I was being partially serious. It would be a good premise for a book, though I doubt you'd want to relive the whole thing.
    I think you should contact the university. You should also tell as many people as possible... don't let others have the same experience

(Original post by Klix88)
    Your most recent experience is now four years old. The uni will just dismiss your claims as sour grapes. If it was that bad, they will tell you that you should have left, transferred or raised the issues, at the time. There's no way a complaint from a single student would get a degree closed down.

Dwelling on it is clearly not helping. You can't resolve any of the past things you describe at this point, and you can't help anyone on that course now (even if the issues are ongoing, which you don't know). You will meet many levels of incompetence, mendacity and bullying in your life. Uni won't be the last time you experience the things you've described.

What I would do, is leave it and get on with my life. You don't need to take this further with the uni, but you possibly do need some counselling support to help you stop dwelling on it.
    Thanks for your advice.

Do you think they would withdraw my degree? I don't want it anymore

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they would withdraw my degree? I don't want it anymore
    No, I'm afraid you're stuck with it. Stripping someone of a qualification retrospectively is reserved for those who've committed serious academic offences such as falsifying research.

You can choose not to mention your degree in job applications, but you will eventually have to declare it to any employer so I wouldn't recommend that. Student Finance repayments are deducted from your wages, and your employer's Finance Department will be involved in those arrangements. SF will be informed by HMRC that you are working, so your employer would ultimately find out you had been to uni even if you didn't tell them. That would make it appear as though you were trying to avoid SF repayments, which wouldn't make you look good.

ReputationRep:
    Society is bs...most makes no sense now. Don't sweat it, best thing to do is move on and be happy.

ReputationRep:
    They won't care, sad fact of life.

You can still get a job, personality stands for far more than a degree.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.