This discussion is closed.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Grapefruit Lady)
French is a doss subject, which requires no revision, other than a bit for the orals. It's good even if you're not the world's best linguist. But if you get the choice, do the coursework at A2, not the Literature, because Lit is utter pants and a waste of a year.
since when were languages a total doss. All the people that dossed in my class got e's and u's at as and dropped out. i spent so many hours working for my spanish a-level and i know people that were bilingual at french and still didn't get a's(think that might say more about how much of a waster he was though) also i loved the lit section of my course cos that was where you can really appreciate and anaylse the language.you sound like you had a different board to mine, but the edexcel exams were really nasty this year.

other than that i thought your advice was really helpful
lucazzz
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
A level maths is Tough. I got A* at GCSE, and im still finding it a bit hard.
Its certainly the hardest, and therefor the most respected subject, but dont even think about it if you got anything less than a B, and even then, you have to have a real good grasp of mathematical abilities
Hi, I am predicted the following at GCSE next year

English lit B
English lan B
Maths A
Phyics A*
Bio B
Chem B
Graphics A*
Geo A
French A
RE A
BS A*

I already have A*,A*,A*, A in ICT and was wondering what subjects I should take to do law or medicine at uni....PLEASE ADVISE!
lucazzz
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
A level maths is Tough. I got A* at GCSE, and im still finding it a bit hard.
Its certainly the hardest, and therefor the most respected subject, but dont even think about it if you got anything less than a B, and even then, you have to have a real good grasp of mathematical abilities

English lit B
English lan B
Maths A
Phyics A*
Bio B
Chem B
Tech A*
Graphics A*
Geo A
French A
RE A
BS A*

I already have A*,A*,A*, A in ICT

In total: 7 A*
5 A
4 B

and was wondering what subjects I should take to do law or medicine at uni....PLEASE ADVISE!
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lucazzz)
and was wondering what subjects I should take to do law or medicine at uni....PLEASE ADVISE!
Well you should know that you have to take chemistry if you want to do medicine. For another subject it is recommended (for medicine) to take biology or/and maths or/and physics. And if you want to keep your options open for law, english or humanities are good choices but really just do the subjects you enjoy!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I also have just finished my gcse's and i have already made my mind up about taking Chemistry and Biology, however the sixth form i am going to wants me to choose 4 subjects altogether, can anyone suggest any subjects that i can take that is enjoyable at AS/A level?
Thanks
I'm just half way thru my AS and im doing sociology, its getting really hard now, was this the case 4 any1 els takin the subject?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

English lit B
English lan B
Maths A
Phyics A*
Bio B
Chem B
Graphics A*
Geo A
French A
RE A
BS A*

I already have A*,A*,A*, A in ICT and was wondering what subjects I should take to do law or medicine at uni....PLEASE ADVISE!
2 take law, ther is no specific subject 2 take but either english or sociology would be an advantage. however if u want 2 study medicine bio and mayb chem would b good 2 c in your a leve;s
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

English lit B
English lan B
Maths A
Phyics A*
Bio B
Chem B
Tech A*
Graphics A*
Geo A
French A
RE A
BS A*

5 A
4 B

Law and Medicine are COMPLETELY different things and so really, you should have made your mind up by now which one you want to do. For law subjects, they like English and History and for medicine they like Chemistry and Biology and then a third science (physics/maths/furthermaths) at AS Level.

I spose you could do English, History, Chem, Bio and Maths ... but it would be very hard and demanding.
FudgeMonkey
Report 16 years ago
Do you think that (AS) General Studies, Phsycology and (A Level) Maths, Biology and Economics would be ok for Law? Does Economics count as a Social Science (Like Law?)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by FudgeMonkey)
Do you think that (AS) General Studies, Phsycology and (A Level) Maths, Biology and Economics would be ok for Law? Does Economics count as a Social Science (Like Law?)
Maths, Bio and Economics would be a great mix for law, yeah.

The main thing is do what you enjoy!
Sasha
Report 16 years ago
What textbooks you suggest me to buy? 'cuz i just wanna get these next two years over n done with...

For anyone else who replies:
Could you state your AS/Alevels and relevent GCSE grades and what course your hoping to study... just to help me, thanks...

I didn't finish my GCSE yet...But I think I'll take music, art or design, further maths, english and english literature, IT maybe...Also I'd like to study Spanish, but I can't do it as A-level...I did German before...don't like it any more...It quite difficult decide...especially when you don't know what grades expect.
*+mjg+*
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
GCSEs are very easy, but Alevels are deffo a step up. choose ur best subjects at GCSE (eg mine were german and business) and choose sum new subjects. u shud do subjects like citizenship as unis are looking for ppl with different qualifications- not just stiffs!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

English lit B
English lan B
Maths A
Phyics A*
Bio B
Chem B
Tech A*
Graphics A*
Geo A
French A
RE A
BS A*

5 A
4 B

Basically, you need to decide wether you want to do law or medicine. I have applied for med this year. You NEED chemistry doing bio is also recommended but you could do physics/maths instead. You generally only need 2 sciences and the third can be anything, I chose history but make sure you get a good grade in the third A level too. If you do an arts A level it is good to do a science As too, I chose maths. If you go for medicine you need lots of work experience and hobbies I think this is recommended for law too. Finally, think long and hard about wether you can get the grades at A level, talk to your teachers. Generally, you will need to be predicted AAB or ABB at the least. Basically, you need to get an A or A* in all the sciences at GCSE or you haven't got much chance of getting the A's you need at A level. I know loads of people who got A's at GCSE to fall to C's at A level it's a gap but with hard work anything can be achieved.
soprano
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Basically, you need to decide wether you want to do law or medicine. I have applied for med this year. You NEED chemistry doing bio is also recommended but you could do physics/maths instead. You generally only need 2 sciences and the third can be anything, I chose history but make sure you get a good grade in the third A level too. If you do an arts A level it is good to do a science As too, I chose maths. If you go for medicine you need lots of work experience and hobbies I think this is recommended for law too. Finally, think long and hard about wether you can get the grades at A level, talk to your teachers. Generally, you will need to be predicted AAB or ABB at the least. Basically, you need to get an A or A* in all the sciences at GCSE or you haven't got much chance of getting the A's you need at A level. I know loads of people who got A's at GCSE to fall to C's at A level it's a gap but with hard work anything can be achieved.
soprano
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am only doing 8 GCSEs. I s this enough to study medicine in university?
Thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads