Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really want (and need) a part time job over the summer holidays, but i'm just too shy to apply for jobs. I really need to overcome this shyness. I'm also scared of possible interviews so anywhere that interviews is out of the question really. Any tips on what to do? Taking a deep breath and just 'going for it' doesn't really help! Another problem is that i hate using the phone, like seriously. Aaaahhhhh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I really want (and need) a part time job over the summer holidays, but i'm just too shy to apply for jobs. I really need to overcome this shyness. I'm also scared of possible interviews so anywhere that interviews is out of the question really. Any tips on what to do? Taking a deep breath and just 'going for it' doesn't really help! Another problem is that i hate using the phone, like seriously. Aaaahhhhh!
    Well, is there any special reason for your shyness? Or are you just generally shy? There's really nothing to get worked up about, just be yourself. Applying for a job isn't harder than posting here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Would you be able to just walk into a bar/restaurant/shop and ask if they need any summer staff? That's how I got my job. They'll probably ask you if you have any experience, blah blah, but doing it like that is a lot less intimidating than a formal interview and application process. The bar I now work in hired me on the spot.
    Or, just look on it as practise to overcome your shyness. With a casual summer job, getting nervous/embarrassed/making mistakes in interviews doesn't matter. However, when you get older and are going through the real thing, it will. If you can conquer your shyness now, it'll pay dividends later.
    I can sympathise though, because I'm naturally shy too. It's been a question of taking a deep breath, preparing what I'm going to say mentally beforehand, and just getting out there. And I promise, every time you do it, it gets easier. Remind yourself that you don't want this to control your life. You can beat it.
    Let us know how you get on?
    By the way, I loathe the phone too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    hey! how r u? i've just read ur article on wanting to get a job - its not a problem really. One question is that your real picture in the left hand side of the screen, cos if it is you should be going for something like salesperson! go for kleeneze cos if your attractive they'll want to buy things off you and remember to always smile NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (andi emphasise on the word never) in any circumstance frown or it'll go downhill and dont disagree with wot ur customer says to you!

im a student going to uni in september and i know this will sound like im bragging but i swear im not, ive got three jobs:
    1)part time engineer - on saturday and sunday mornings (7pm to 12noon)
    2)draggin' beer barrels all night - friday, saturday and sunday nights(6pm till 12pm)
    3)kleeneze - monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday evenings (5pm till 6pm, i have to go boxing as well, my only hobby at the mo)

ive sacrificed all my leisures and hobbies cos i have one huge f**king fee to pay! no more saturday nights or anygoing out! but im quittin my 2nd job at the end of this month cos of my exams!

if u want a hand with wot type of job to get give me a buzz and ill try to help u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Virtually all if not all jobs will require some form of interview. For a lot of jobs you can start the application process by email, which you would probably find easier, but I'm afraid that you will have to overcome your shyness and see the employer in person at some point.

ReputationRep:
    When I was applying for part time jobs, I found a list of about 10 different employers (shops mainly) that I wound't mind working in, then sent off a letter detailing the hours I am available to work and enclosed my CV. That way you get to avoid phoning them up!

I am also terrified of interviews. For a general part time job they are not going to ask you particularly probing questions, just the basics like 'Why do you want this job?' Before you have an interview plan roughly what you might answer to some of these questions, although don't memorise it parrot-fashion or you will sound like a robot! If you're prepared its a lot less nerve racking.

ReputationRep:
    Shyness is essentially a form of arrogance. Shy people have to assume they have everyone's attention before they can come to hate it. Perhaps you should take a moment to consider how insignificant your job hunting is and how insignificant you are to any potential interviewer.

I don't mean to be rude, by the way - I honestly am just trying to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Well, is there any special reason for your shyness? Or are you just generally shy?
    I'm just naturally shy. One specific thing that put me off working with adults though was when i did two weeks work experience at a playgroup in Year 10 - the adult workers just ignored me for two weeks. They made no effort at all to speak to me and because i was shy i didn't talk to them. So it was kind of a bad experience. Now every time i think of the 'employer' i would 'face' {lol} i think of this really ugly, *****y cow from work experience. Arghh.

(Original post by slowjamz)
    Would you be able to just walk into a bar/restaurant/shop and ask if they need any summer staff?
    I doubt it.

(Original post by Gurky)
    If u want a hand with wot type of job to get give me a buzz and ill try to help
    Re: the avatar - that's Anastacia, not me. Lmao. How do you get to work for Kleeneze? Lol.

(Original post by johncleaner)
    When I was applying for part time jobs, I found a list of about 10 different employers (shops mainly) that I wound't mind working in, then sent off a letter detailing the hours I am available to work and enclosed my CV. That way you get to avoid phoning them up!
    Yeah good plan, except i have an almost blank CV apart from one two week period of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    So what if you have no experience? When I got my first part-time job I hadn't even done my GCSEs, had no work experience, at all, and could only smile and make the best of what I had and who I knew. My first job was at a place where one of my friends worked. Try joining somewhere where your friends work. Namedrop them when you call, if they're any good the boss will probably be delighted to take you on. They can also explain the nature of the work and help you settle in more easily.

Seriously, everyone has a "first job" at some point. Make sure your is now, it'll be valuable work experience (which you claim you lack), and so will be soooooo invaluable in the future.

Carl

ReputationRep:
    I am also shy when it comes to these kinds of things, and am a fellow phone hater. If you want to work in shops, try going with a braver friend (works for me!) - Either gain bravery from their presence and ask for an application from yourself, or get them to ask. It's unlikely the person in the shop will remember you didn't ask for a job yourself. As johncleaner said, the CV option is also a good one. It doesn't really matter about the blankness of it - everyone has to start somewhere, just talk about school responsibilities and computer skills and sound enthusiastic. After all, it is only a summer job.
    As for interviews, you just have to cross that bridge when you come to it and not worry so much so far in advance. I always find the reality is much easier than the nightmare interviews I have predicted in advance.
    hope that helps, Aylia x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    I am also shy when it comes to these kinds of things, and am a fellow phone hater. If you want to work in shops, try going with a braver friend (works for me!) - Either gain bravery from their presence and ask for an apploication from yourself, or get them to ask. It's unlikely the person in the shop will remeber you didn't ask for a job yourself. As johncleaner said, the CV option is also a good one. It doesn't really matter about the blankness of it - everyone has to start somewhere, just talk about school responsibilities and computer skills and sound enthusiastic. After all, it is only a summer job.
    As for interviews, you just have to cross that bridge when you come to it and not worry so much so far in advance. I always find the reality is much easier than the nightmare interviews I have predicted in advance.
    hope that helps, Aylia x
    Thanks. Yeah i know what once i've done it i will be fine. Gaaahhhhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Thanks. Yeah i know what once i've done it i will be fine. Gaaahhhhhhh.
    Good luck! Let us know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you really want some help there re companies that will do it for a (sometimes small) fee. One good one I used in the past is CV Perfection (see www.cvperfection.co.uk). I think they can negotiate fees depending on your financial situation

Another possibility as suggested by someone below is to do a Kleeneze job. You are your own boss and can make money without talking to too many people. One way to go about it is to register with an existing distributor (e.g buy filling in the form on www.earngoodmoney.co.uk)

Hope this helps

Wiseman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Ooo I know the phone one. My dad ran his business from home for a time, he actually started paying me to answer the phone.

Interviews - well how about doing a couple of mock interviews? friends and family can interview you. Lots of questions are the same

why do you want to work here?
    what experience have you?

Get a friend to make a list of all your good points, it will be a bit of an ego boost, and then tick the ones that would be good in a job. Can be anything from a nice smile, to being a quick learner.

Finaly believe you are good enough for the job and that you are the person they want.

ReputationRep:
    I was just like you and felt really shy when first going for jobs. I didn't really know what to do or say so I got all my older friends to tell me what to do or say, because I really had no clue! But now I'm a bit older and have had two jobs it's so much better now and I feel fine. So remember that things will get better, and after a bit of experience it'll be nowhere near as scary.

I've read that if you act confident, eventually it'll just rub off on you and you'll just be confident in a situation naturally. It works for me. If you just smile and are friendly to people, after the first jump you feel a million times better.

ReputationRep:
    sorry for not replyin earlier to the threads! i was training for my tournament.

u dont need a cv to start a job, this might sound strange but when u give them ur cv it tends to usually end up in the bin! and thats as soon as u give it to them, how old r u? cos if ur 15 / 16 u can work in mcdonandls (cant even spell the damn word) or pizza hut! if u can get a job there u'll be alright, no ******** or work with kleenze (even though it sounds really stupid, have to be older than 18 but if ur not get a parent or guradian and get them to do all the legal formalities and then u throw catalogues to everyone and get ur mum to give u ur share of hte money! simple as that

i cant chat for too long cos that librarian is looking rather suspicious now so im off and ill speak to everyone later

take care and enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I was just like you and felt really shy when first going for jobs. I didn't really know what to do or say so I got all my older friends to tell me what to do or say, because I really had no clue! But now I'm a bit older and have had two jobs it's so much better now and I feel fine. So remember that things will get better, and after a bit of experience it'll be nowhere near as scary.
    I think that's my main problem really, not knowing what to say.

ReputationRep:
    soz 4 not relpyin earlier, i didnt have time!

so not knowing what to say is ur main problem? damn thats pretty awkward,
    i dont really know wot to say im baffled, give me the weekend to think about that one and i'll post u a reply on monday sometime!

i know im going off the point but have u got any hobbies, they'll help me think wot u like, and wot do u prefer sports or studies- truthfully answer me cos im gonna ask my uncle, he's a psychologist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gurky)
    soz 4 not relpyin earlier, i didnt have time!

so not knowing what to say is ur main problem? damn thats pretty awkward,
    i dont really know wot to say im baffled, give me the weekend to think about that one and i'll post u a reply on monday sometime!

i know im going off the point but have u got any hobbies, they'll help me think wot u like, and wot do u prefer sports or studies- truthfully answer me cos im gonna ask my uncle, he's a psychologist
    Do i prefer sports or studies? Studies.
    What are my hobbies? Shopping, listening to music, surfing the net. Nothing very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    nice 1, i'll tell me uncle and and i'll ask him wot he thinks,

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.